Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Gears PC impressions (+screenshots!)
choupolo

• Total Posts : 1773
Gears PC impressions (+screenshots!) - Nov 09, 2007 07:52
Haven' t figured out how to take screenshots yet so heres a printscreen. Image got degraded a little when converting to jpeg.

Looks very similar to the 360 version as you' d expect. Most striking differences are how ultra sharp and smooth everything looks, and how easy it is to kill grubs and move around in general. 60fps and the freedom of mouse movement really opens up the game, and you find yourself making faster moves and completing each section much quicker.

Had the initial problem with LIVE as Kikizo kindly warned us about prior. Had to d/l the stand alone update from the link provided. Kinda frustrating they didnt spot that issue before they shipped. [:' (]

The keyboard controls take a little getting used to if you' re used to a pad, but they work well. Space works the same way as ' A' on a 360 controller, and you can also double tap the directional buttons for dives. F works as the melee/chainsaw button.

The frame rate can be unpredictable on my machine, its mostly smooth at 60 frames but has frequent jarring frame rate drops every so often. I think the best way to play this will be in dx10 and an 8800 of some kind. My X1900XTX doesnt seem to hold up as well as it does with the Unreal Tournament III demo.

Only cause I' ve always preferred M+K controls does it feel more natural playing Gears on PC, but it really does give the game a new lease of life.

I' ll post more screens when I find the screenshot button! It' d be cool if someone has it running in dx10 to compare though. Looking forward to playing the new chapters!
< Message edited by choupolo -- 16 Nov 07 21:07:52 >

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message