Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Left 4 Dead Writeup - Pg. 3
Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 20 of 47
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
Left 4 Dead Writeup - Pg. 3 - Nov 01, 2008 05:16
GEARS OF WAR 2 - PAGE 1
LEFT 4 DEAD - PAGE 3

Gears of War 2
Xbox 360
November 7th - North America

Points of Interest

Campaign- I jumped into the game halfway through the campaign (co-op). I wasn't filled in on the plot points, however the gist was that we (Dom, Marcus and [now dead] Carmine's brother, Carmine) are trapped in a massive Locust cave system, similar to the first Gears game, and are working our way to the surface. Here, we are introduced to Fred. Fred is not Fred's real name, but during our playthrough, we determined that a fourty-foot long cave-berry eating portable-cover-providing rock-worm deserved a name of esteem. Hence, Fred. You shoot glowbes, large, red luminescent berries from the cave roof, and watch as Fred slinks across the floor to feast, leaving you ample opportunity to sit behind his scaly hide and dispose of a few space cock-a-roaches.

For those who want nothing spoiled, don't highlight below.

Mentioning Fred, I also have to mention Fred Senior.

...Fred senior is enormous.

...Fred senior eats fucking cities, or at least tunnels underneath them, caving them in on themselves. First encountering the collossal worm is a jaw dropping moment if ever there was one, watching it plow through tons of rock like funnel cake. God willing, and the creek don't rise, we get to fight this mofo of monstrous proportion, but not having played very far into the game, I can't say with any certainty.
^^^

This isn't an impression on the single player experience as a whole. You get the gist from playing Gears 1, as all in all, it's none too different. This is just a little window into the story present in the little section of the game I got to fiddle about with.

Graphics - Epic has seriously stepped up a notch with UE3. The game, at first glance looks very similar to the original Gears, but one only need look at a side-by-side comparison, or return to playing the original Gears of War to notice the leaps and bounds made in the last two years. Colors are brighter, wet objects look wetter, and meaty objects act like.... well... meat. The draw distance is stunning for a game of this graphical caliber, as evidenced by the stunningly grim vistas found in caverns, and caved-in cityscapes. If the game looks good in screenshots, it's twice as pretty in motion.

On the downside, there were some pretty noticeable framerate discrepancies in my short time with the game. I've only experienced the co-op campaign, but the framerate sure had it's hitches during my playthrough, occasionally chugging at 20 or lower, for seconds at a time, before being brought back up to speed once again. This is, sadly most-likely an issue that will be present in retail copies, and with any luck it's limited to the co-op experience, as it's a shame to see a game so beautifully crafted held back by framerate hiccups.

Multiplayer - The multiplayer in Gears of War 2 remains largely the same, with the addition of a handful of new weapons, and a few more noticeable alterations. The overall experience is much more polished, and better thought out, with a smattering of new weapons (a locust semi-auto primary, a bitchin' new pistol to note two), the much-talked-about meat-sheild feature for downed enemies, and multiple fatality animations. The game is far from a revolutionary leap in multiplayer experience. Epic made a game for their fans, and quite frankly, with a game like Gears of War, that's the way it aught to be. Menus all look pretty, and all serve their purposes effectively and efficiently. The primary gameplay for the bog standard gametypes is very similar to the original, but again, cleaned up and evened out.  All the new weapons have their advantages and disadvantages, making your decision in weaponry more oreinted to personal taste than an internal struggle over which gun actually has the upper hand.

On a less than pleasing note, Epic decided to implement a Halo-style matchmaking system. The details of such a system, I am relatively oblivious to, and while it may have simply been the circumstances in which I played the game, matches and players took minutes rather than seconds to find and join, which in my opinion, is simply inexcusable. Halo 2 (and to a lesser extent 3) was plagued with just such a problem, and while it may be acceptable to some, when I want to play a fast-paced multiplayer game, my overarching emotions aren't that of patience and indifference. Sure, Epic may have located the most ideal opponent for me on the planet, based on complex algorithms and endless pages of behind-the-scenes statistic monitoring, but I'll take being digitally mauled by a twelve-year-old from Tulsa, Oklahoma if it means getting into my match within the minute.

Horde - It's technically multiplayer, yes, but this chunk of GoW2 clearly deserves it's own section within a section. Take all those hours wasted away playing God of War's Challenge of the Titans mode, bring it about four thousand years up to speed, and give your protagonists fucking chainsaws, and you have some idea as to the sheer epicosity of this gametype. Your mission objective is straightforward: clear-cut survival. You and your friends are placed on a small map, with waves of Locust crashing down on you, slowly increasing in number and difficulty, and it's your job to kill 'em all. For a concept so simple, it's incredibly engaging just to sit there with a friend and blow extra-terrestrial bugs apart with reckless abandon, and thought to strategy or tactic. Like many other wave-based enemy minigames, the higher levels will frustrate you, but then, I suppose it's time to get a few more friends in on the action to lend a helping hand. At any rate, it's easily one of my favorite new additions to the Gears of War series.

I, sadly, was not able to play Submission/Meat Flag mode in my very short time with the game, I didn't see any multiplayer bots (so far as I know) nor was I able to spend lots of time analyzing framerate, hit detection etc. as I normally do with multiplayer impressions, but nonetheless, the overall firsthand experience was immensely satisfying. The game is fanservice, in all the right ways, and you will be hard pressed toflaw them for taking what made Gears good, and making it great.
<message edited by Eddie_the_Hated on Nov 15, 2008 05:25>
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
Re:[Micro]Impressions - GOW Now - Mirror's Edge and Far Cry 2 Soon - Nov 01, 2008 05:51
How is Scorge?
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
Re:[Micro]Impressions - GOW Now - Mirror's Edge and Far Cry 2 Soon - Nov 01, 2008 07:33
so pumped
immortaldanmx

• Total Posts : 2966
Re:[Micro]Impressions - GOW Now - Mirror's Edge and Far Cry 2 Soon - Nov 01, 2008 09:49
Now boys, no fapping in the forums.
Eddie_the_Hated

Re:[Micro]Impressions - GOW Now - Mirror's Edge and Far Cry 2 Soon - Nov 01, 2008 18:12
I didn't see Skorge, but the skorge-lings are kick-ass. I can only imagine what he's going to be like.
immortaldanmx

Re:[Micro]Impressions - GOW Now - Mirror's Edge and Far Cry 2 Soon - Nov 01, 2008 19:22
Eddie_the_Hated

I didn't see Skorge, but the skorge-lings are kick-ass. I can only imagine what he's going to be like.

Who would've thought that the Priests in the caste system would be the bad asses.
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
Re:[Micro]Impressions - GOW Now - Mirror's Edge and Far Cry 2 Soon - Nov 01, 2008 19:50
how come you have it Eddie ? Hacked  Box?
immortaldanmx

Re:[Micro]Impressions - GOW Now - Mirror's Edge and Far Cry 2 Soon - Nov 02, 2008 04:57
Vx Chemical

how come you have it Eddie ? Hacked  Box?

No, he programmed his own copy in a cave. Using only scraps.
Eddie_the_Hated

Re:[Micro]Impressions - GOW Now - Mirror's Edge and Far Cry 2 Soon - Nov 02, 2008 04:57
Paddy magic.
emofag

• Total Posts : 1508
Re:[Micro]Impressions - GOW Now - Mirror's Edge and Far Cry 2 Soon - Nov 02, 2008 05:52
He downloaded it illegally.  Adam should delete this, gives this site a bad name if someone from a game company comes in here and sees people reviewing pirated shit.  And if you're going to do this don't be retarded and make it obvious.
<message edited by emofag on Nov 02, 2008 05:56>
immortaldanmx

Re:[Micro]Impressions - GOW Now - Mirror's Edge and Far Cry 2 Soon - Nov 02, 2008 07:57
emofag

He downloaded it illegally.  Adam should delete this, gives this site a bad name if someone from a game company comes in here and sees people reviewing pirated shit.  And if you're going to do this don't be retarded and make it obvious.

It's 7 days before release. For all we know some dumbass at  gamestop started selling early.
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
Re:[Micro]Impressions - GOW Now - Mirror's Edge and Far Cry 2 Soon - Nov 02, 2008 08:41
Didn't Eddie say he was going to fix his 360 for the purpose of playing Gears early?
immortaldanmx

Re:[Micro]Impressions - GOW Now - Mirror's Edge and Far Cry 2 Soon - Nov 02, 2008 08:54
Agent Ghost

Didn't Eddie say he was going to fix his 360 for the purpose of playing Gears early?

Im not saying it didnt happen. Im saying for the sake of appearances, we'll just all assume that his local gamestop sold it early.
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
Re:[Micro]Impressions - GOW Now - Mirror's Edge and Far Cry 2 Soon - Nov 02, 2008 16:20
a friend of mine is playing it pirated it, it sucks that its so easy to get a hold of it.
choupolo

• Total Posts : 1773
Re:[Micro]Impressions - GOW Now - Mirror's Edge and Far Cry 2 Soon - Nov 02, 2008 19:38
I'm too lazy to pirate games.  Games are so short these days anyway, if I'm feeling broke I'll just rent.
Eddie_the_Hated

Re:[Micro]Impressions - GOW Now - Mirror's Edge and Far Cry 2 Soon - Nov 02, 2008 20:45

Fuck yourself with a 22" retractable police baton. Please and thank-you.

I don't have a pirated copy, nor do I have a flashed box.  If Adam wants to shut down my thread, after a year or more of actively contributing lengthy reviews and impressions, that's his prerogative, as it's been in the past when he's let threads containing weed, prostitution, music downloading and software piracy slide.  if you feel the need to compensate for that lackluster ePenis of yours, you're welcome to call the internet police on me. You know my name, and city of origin.

Man up, or fuck off.

<message edited by Eddie_the_Hated on Nov 02, 2008 20:51>
immortaldanmx

Re:[Micro]Impressions - GOW Now - Mirror's Edge and Far Cry 2 Soon - Nov 02, 2008 21:01
Crackdown? Say it isnt so, Eddie!
canadagamer

• Total Posts : 965
Re:[Micro]Impressions - GOW Now - Mirror's Edge and Far Cry 2 Soon - Nov 02, 2008 22:19
Is Eddie having an early copy magically going to prevent the other 5 million gamers waiting for Gears 2 from buying the game? Probably not, so saying that his thread should be deleted in case the "devs" come her to read it sounds pretty stupid now doesn't it?

He has an early copy, and so do 3 other people on my friends list. It's noted on their Live Account as it is Eddie's, so either they will get banned or nothing will happen. My bet is on the latter.
emofag

Re:[Micro]Impressions - GOW Now - Mirror's Edge and Far Cry 2 Soon - Nov 03, 2008 04:47
Eddie_the_Hated

Fuck yourself with a 22" retractable police baton. Please and thank-you.

I don't have a pirated copy, nor do I have a flashed box.  If Adam wants to shut down my thread, after a year or more of actively contributing lengthy reviews and impressions, that's his prerogative, as it's been in the past when he's let threads containing weed, prostitution, music downloading and software piracy slide.  if you feel the need to compensate for that lackluster ePenis of yours, you're welcome to call the internet police on me. You know my name, and city of origin.

Man up, or fuck off.

What is that picture supposed to prove? 

Filthy pirate.

<message edited by emofag on Nov 03, 2008 04:48>
emofag

Re:[Micro]Impressions - GOW Now - Mirror's Edge and Far Cry 2 Soon - Nov 03, 2008 04:51
canadagamer

Is Eddie having an early copy magically going to prevent the other 5 million gamers waiting for Gears 2 from buying the game? Probably not, so saying that his thread should be deleted in case the "devs" come her to read it sounds pretty stupid now doesn't it?

He has an early copy, and so do 3 other people on my friends list. It's noted on their Live Account as it is Eddie's, so either they will get banned or nothing will happen. My bet is on the latter.

Live doesn't detect certain hacked firmwares, that doesn't prove anything.

If it's not pirated lets see a picture of eddy holding the gears of war 2 box
Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 20 of 47

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread