Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 100hz ' Motion plus' LCDs / Plasmas and Gaming
Virtua fighter 5

• Total Posts : 1327
100hz ' Motion plus' LCDs / Plasmas and Gaming - Jun 03, 2008 06:28
Some of the biggest buzz words around the Panel world is " 100hz" and " motion plus" .. Which make movies noticeably smoother when running through this chip / process.

What i want to know is, what impact does this mode have on games? anyone?

Zoy

• Total Posts : 1703
RE: 100hz ' Motion plus' LCDs / Plasmas and Gaming - Jun 03, 2008 06:51
I expect the impact to primarily consist of a bunch of bickering rich kids talking out their asses at each other and fighting over tech specs.

Sorry, I know, I should just not post anything at all...

Well, look, average human beings can discern up to around 80-100 frames per second. Maybe if games get to the point where they have that kind of frame rate we might see some of the proto-uber-gamers get even better than they already are.
< Message edited by Zoy -- 2 Jun 08 22:53:13 >
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: 100hz ' Motion plus' LCDs / Plasmas and Gaming - Jun 03, 2008 09:17
It' s not 100Hz it is 120Hz. Well maybe in the UK you are stuck with 100Hz, but you really want 120Hz because it is a proper multiple of 24, and movies run at 24 frames per second.

These TV sets use interpolation (they make shit up based on the previous and next frames on the disc) to make the movie run at 120 frames per second. It looks awful, more like a camcorder or news footage because the framerate is so high. When the action gets fast, it can' t interpolate well enough and things might get choppy. Avoid this smooth motion mode as it is ass. Instead, force 24p out of your Blu-ray player and each frame will be displayed untouched 5 times. This is awesome. It doesn' t increase the frame rate and looks much nicer, like a real movie should. In theaters, each frame is displayed twice, sometimes 3 times before the next frame is shown. This is even better!
Virtua fighter 5

• Total Posts : 1327
RE: 100hz ' Motion plus' LCDs / Plasmas and Gaming - Jul 01, 2008 00:52
Got myself a 46inch, Samsung series 6, 1080p LCD with 120Hz " motion plus" incl.

First up:

I now understand why people with middle-ranged LCD' s complain about Wii' s graphics as it looks very pixelated, i supposed its the fact that LCDs look best at their native resolution.. SD looks good enough but my Projector pisses all over it (hence me always thinking Wii games such as Galaxy look gorgeous, now not always the case if your running it on a LCD).

As yo stated Joe, the Panel does run a 120hz and in the latest model i own, it seems Samsung have improved the motion plus feature to good results.

Some films certainly look more ' Wowing' with the feature on high, while others looks way too studio and weird.

The biggest advantage of this MP is in games, to be more specific, games that run locked at 30fps (or non 60fps games)

SEGA Rally, MotorStorm, PGR4, unreal 3, GOW all run super smooth in this mode, i don' t know how they get it to work but it seems they are basically doubling the framerate and run easily 60fps now.. So ive been catching up with old games Ive avoided in the past due to this :) Not Bad, atall..
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: 100hz ' Motion plus' LCDs / Plasmas and Gaming - Jul 01, 2008 09:17
Actually the monitor is running at 120fps by " guessing" what the in-between frames should be based on future frames (which it must see first before going back and adding the other frame). There will always be at least a 1/30th of a second lag or more as a result which cannot be avoided with this feature enabled. I don' t really recommend this mode, especially for movies. As I said, movies will look more like they were shot with a consumer camcorder due to what " Motion Plus" does to the framerate. Instead, force 24p output from your PS3 when playing Blu-ray movies and it will look more like a movie theater than a movie theater does which is only possible with the 120Hz TVs. Nice!
< Message edited by Joe Redifer -- 1 Jul 08 1:19:12 >
Ornodeal

• Total Posts : 645
RE: 100hz ' Motion plus' LCDs / Plasmas and Gaming - Jul 01, 2008 17:16
Got a 37" Toshiba which is 24p and 100Hz. Its good, although haven' t pushed it with a HD film yet.
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
RE: 100hz ' Motion plus' LCDs / Plasmas and Gaming - Jul 01, 2008 18:47

ORIGINAL: Virtua fighter 5

Got myself a 46inch, Samsung series 6, 1080p LCD with 120Hz " motion plus" incl.

That' s pretty much the best 46" you can get. It isn' t priced too bad either. My friend just got that one a month or 2 ago too and he was able to get it for just under $2k. It blows away the DLP he has in the basement.
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: 100hz ' Motion plus' LCDs / Plasmas and Gaming - Jul 02, 2008 07:16
Plasma=shit

class dismissed

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages