Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 No spring dashboard update for 360; new XBLA plans
Zoy

• Total Posts : 1703
No spring dashboard update for 360; new XBLA plans - May 23, 2008 07:45
M$ has told Gamasutra that there will be no spring dashboard update for the 360.

Additionally, they' re going to begin systematically delisting XBLA titles that have an average Metacritic score of under 65 and a low trial conversion rate (i.e., the demo is downloaded but 6% or fewer people buy it).

Microsoft representatives have confirmed to Gamasutra that the company plans to systematically delist underperforming Xbox Live Arcade titles, as well as to raise the size limit of Xbox Live Arcade games to 350 MB.

Microsoft also intends to open its own internal development team targeting downloadable comment, and along with those plans came news that Microsoft will not be releasing a spring dashboard update for the Xbox 360 console, as it has done in the past. Instead, the company says it will focus on improving backbone server issues.

Delisting of Xbox Live Arcade titles will be handled cautiously - only titles scoring below a 65 score average on Metacritic with a 6 percent or lower trial conversion rate will be delisted, and each will have a three month grace period.

According to a post at web forum NeoGAF, referencing an interview on business site Next-Gen.biz where the top-line information first appeared, some 45 Live Arcade titles currently score underneath 65 on Metacritic. Microsoft has never made per-title conversation rates public. It is also unclear whether users who have previously purchased delisted games will still have access to the games to re-download.
kalensglitch

• Total Posts : 7
RE: No spring dashboard update for 360; new XBLA plans - May 23, 2008 07:52
I just bumped eddie' s Spring update thread about this while you were posting in this new one. Sorry for the repeat information. Have you found any information on what they plan to due for the people who have purchased these titles, or if there are any current titles that meet this criteria?
Zoy

RE: No spring dashboard update for 360; new XBLA plans - May 23, 2008 07:58
No worries about the simul-post. I probably should have gone back to that thread anyway. I haven' t found much else about it. The Gamasutra article says that 45 titles meet the low Metacritic score criterion, but that M$ hasn' t released any sales conversion rate figures.

I imagine if you already have one of the titles that gets delisted, you' ll still be able to play it no problem. But what if you end up needing to get a new box, new harddrive, something along those lines, and lose the games you bought? I' m not sure why they would bother delisting them. I think they' d do better to make sure that they don' t release bad games to begin with.
choupolo

• Total Posts : 1773
RE: No spring dashboard update for 360; new XBLA plans - May 24, 2008 02:12
So only popular games are supported from now on? That sucks. What if you happen to be one of the 6% that would have enjoyed the game?

Surely they can' t be running out of room on central servers to store these games or money to afford the bandwidth to keep them available. I guess its just business forcing sacrifice as usual.
Zoy

RE: No spring dashboard update for 360; new XBLA plans - May 24, 2008 03:16
I' m surprised they don' t try simply reducing the price of the poorly-performing games. Drop them down to 100 or 200 points and I' m sure that would drive some more sales. At least put them " on sale" for a little while.
< Message edited by Zoy -- 23 May 08 19:17:41 >
choupolo

• Total Posts : 1773
RE: No spring dashboard update for 360; new XBLA plans - May 24, 2008 10:03
It has to be bandwidth saving measures right, now they' re increasing the file size limit? Decreasing their prices might save them from the bottom of the sales chart, but M$ would find another excuse to axe a few games.

Whats the reasoning behind the file size limit anyway?
UnluckyOne

• Total Posts : 995
RE: No spring dashboard update for 360; new XBLA plans - May 24, 2008 19:44
I think the reasoning is that arcade games are supposed to be quick, pickup and play type games. Downloading a 2GB arcade game is not exactly pickup and play.
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: No spring dashboard update for 360; new XBLA plans - May 25, 2008 01:35

Whats the reasoning behind the file size limit anyway?

The original limitation was Memory Unit size, for those thick enough to buy a Core. From there, it gradually increased as various titles pushed the cap (with Microsoft authorization, of course).

Now, I don' t really see the point. If two years into the consoles lifespan, you don' t have a HDD....

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll