Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 The end of the world is nigh!!!!
Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 20 of 41
alijay034

• Total Posts : 1433
The end of the world is nigh!!!! - Sep 09, 2008 15:01
Ok so tomorrow this new fangled piece of scientific equipment is going to fire atoms around a circle and make them crash into each other, just for shits and giggles. Some say that it could cause Black holes to form and destroy life as we know it!! Others say it can help to find a cure for Cancer and help unlock the secrets to the universe. Do any of you guys have an opinion about this? Possibly how this could wreck everything we have been taught about science in general or do you think it is a colossal waste of tax payers money?

http://www.lhc.ac.uk/

http://lhc.web.cern.ch/lhc/

A few links incase you don't have a clue
Kelvinellenton

• Total Posts : 454
Re:The end of the world is nigh!!!! - Sep 09, 2008 15:28
Oh yeah I heard about this yesterday. It sounded pretty funny that they thought the world would destroy itself. I gues we'll see tommorow
Zoy

• Total Posts : 1703
Re:The end of the world is nigh!!!! - Sep 09, 2008 18:18
My understanding is that they're looking to find a particular type of particle which has been theorized to exist but not yet observed.  It won't be generating any black holes though.
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
Re:The end of the world is nigh!!!! - Sep 09, 2008 19:27
Speaking of the end of the world.  
I had a dream the other day I was in the fictional house.  There must have 20 people easy, it was a big house.  Everyone's watching the news, it was jibberish but I kept staring at a video feed of the moon that the news station had displayed.  All of a sudden there was a close up and everyone went silent.  The fucking moon was hit by a giant asteroid half it's size!  The screen went black.  A chick next to me said "well that's the end of the human race".  And I thought to myself "Shit, it's about time." lol
Things will never get so bad that you can't joke about it. 
That's when I woke up.  You guys ever have weird dreams like that?
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
Re:The end of the world is nigh!!!! - Sep 09, 2008 21:59
I had a dream the world ended. It was nukes. My skin started boiling, but I felt no pain. It was really weird...

Seems like a waste of money to me.

Massive projects like that only seem viable to me if it winds up curing cancer, or solving some other pandemic problem in society, and everything's been super vague about what exactly this thing actually does, in a pro actively applicable sense anyhow.

Edit: If the end of the world is nigh, I'm still stuck at home doing coursework, so it doesn't matter much to me.
<message edited by Eddie_the_Hated on Sep 09, 2008 22:03>
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
Re:The end of the world is nigh!!!! - Sep 11, 2008 23:38
I'm still here, and my course work was still due, although I heard it'll be a while before there's an actual collision.
mastachefbkw

• Total Posts : 3793
Re:The end of the world is nigh!!!! - Sep 12, 2008 00:09
Just out of curiosity, how the fuck is a black hole supposed to cure cancer?
2pac

• Total Posts : 1032
Re:The end of the world is nigh!!!! - Sep 12, 2008 01:22
It might not cure cancer but it will hopefully give us a better understanding of the universe ..
mastachefbkw

Re:The end of the world is nigh!!!! - Sep 12, 2008 03:36
So am I the only one who really doesn't give a damn about "better understanding" the universe?
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
Re:The end of the world is nigh!!!! - Sep 12, 2008 03:43

So am I the only one who really doesn't give a damn about "better understanding" the universe?

No, I don't believe there is a Christian who cares about the true origins of the Universe. 

I know, I know.  That was a cheap shot, but how could I resist?
mastachefbkw

Re:The end of the world is nigh!!!! - Sep 12, 2008 04:10
It really doesn't bother me. I'm not MkayD. I'm not your typical christian. I'm probably the worst christian you'll meet. I just don't really care about our universe. I personally feel that if they could disprove my beliefs, then it would make life a hell of a lot easier on me.
Torr

• Total Posts : 554
Re:The end of the world is nigh!!!! - Sep 12, 2008 06:00
I have nothing against learning more about the universe or our origins, but the biggest problem is that information has a way of being used and twisted to meet someone's ideology.

Agent I think at this point most of the christians here just assume you are going to make a comment about us at every turn(and nitro most of the time too), so we are used to it.
<message edited by Torr on Sep 12, 2008 09:19>
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
Re:The end of the world is nigh!!!! - Sep 12, 2008 08:33
The PS3 is already curing cancer, we don't need this shit!  Booooo!!!!
Ornodeal

• Total Posts : 645
Re:The end of the world is nigh!!!! - Sep 12, 2008 08:50
Yeah they didn't need this cern thingy; they could have networked a couple of ps3's together and found the meaning of life, the universe and everything - it is a supercomputer after all.
nekkid_monkey

• Total Posts : 818
Re:The end of the world is nigh!!!! - Sep 12, 2008 14:55
Well, at least they're spending money to find out something we DON'T know. We waste enough money on "scientific" studies that tell us stuff we already know.

Every other month there's another jack-ass with a government grant  telling everyone that "gasp" your fat-ass kid is going to have health problems as an adult.
2pac

• Total Posts : 1032
Re:The end of the world is nigh!!!! - Sep 12, 2008 18:19
People with Phds survive on such grants ..
immortaldanmx

• Total Posts : 2966
Re:The end of the world is nigh!!!! - Sep 12, 2008 18:35
nekkid_monkey

Well, at least they're spending money to find out something we DON'T know. We waste enough money on "scientific" studies that tell us stuff we already know.

Every other month there's another jack-ass with a government grant  telling everyone that "gasp" your fat-ass kid is going to have health problems as an adult.

But this is all irrelevant. So what if we prove that some particle exists? It has no direct benefit, and it isnt solving a problem. There are a lot of ways those billions could have been spent that would have actually mattered.
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
Re:The end of the world is nigh!!!! - Sep 12, 2008 20:28
The people funding it want to find it out, they can do whatever the hell they want with their money.
alijay034

• Total Posts : 1433
Re:The end of the world is nigh!!!! - Sep 12, 2008 21:02
locopuyo

The people funding it want to find it out, they can do whatever the hell they want with their money.

And where do you think some of the funding comes from? Tax payers, do you honestly think tax payers want to pay for this?

emofag

• Total Posts : 1508
Re:The end of the world is nigh!!!! - Sep 12, 2008 21:21
There's allot of things tax payers don't want to pay for, irrelevant.
Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 20 of 41

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message