Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Resistance 2 unveiled - first screens! 60 player online!
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
Resistance 2 unveiled - first screens! 60 player online! - Jan 12, 2008 04:54
- One campaign focusing on Nathan Hale across USA, 1 player
- One separate story based campaign supporting 2 players offline, 8 players Online
- Online Multiplayer (dedicated servers) supporting 60 people, lobbies for individual squads
- Classes for online, templates include Heavy, Special Ops, Medic
- New vehicles including Chameleon (Stalker with cloak)
- Partial randomized geometry in level spots
- Stat tracking coupled with MyResistance.net

I know i' m not alone in my opinion that the first game was a highly flawed, generic and obviously rushed waste of time, effort and money... but i have hope for the sequel... especially after the awesome Tools of Destruction.

What this means is that PS3 has 2 really big exclusive shooters towards the end of the year, and right now, Microsoft has nothing officially on the table to combat them.

The answer will obviously be Gears of War 2, ...but will that be enough is both Guerrilla and Insomniac deliver the goods??? Perhaps Halo 3 released 12 months too early...

Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: Resistance 2 unveiled - first screens! 60 player online! - Jan 12, 2008 05:17
Probably not, no. If Microsoft doesn' t pull something out of nowhere, rather quickly, they' re going to be in for a world of hurt, especially if Sony' s year is as good as it' s shaping up to be.

As for Resistance 2? I won' t pass judgment until I see gameplay footage. It' s difficult to draw a conclusion from a game based on screens that aren' t POV, especially in a first person shooter. I like the 60+ player online mode idea, but I' ve got doubts that they' ll be able to fill lobbies, unless they filter people into larger matches, and somehow control the number of games created.
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: Resistance 2 unveiled - first screens! 60 player online! - Jan 12, 2008 07:59
Im playing through resistance at the moment i borrowed it from a friend. It has some flaws in it, but its a half decent game, ranks up there with prey.

Hey, im prefering it over SMG, does that say something about me? SMG? or Resistance, or maybe a bit about all three!
Chee Saw

• Total Posts : 1466
RE: Resistance 2 unveiled - first screens! 60 player online! - Jan 12, 2008 08:11
I think Prey walks all over Resistance. I played Resistance for about a half-hour, and haven' t put it back in since. I actually finished Prey. The characters and story line interested me more, I suppose.

Resistance felt like a budget COD, but with aliens with bad AI. The main menu was kinda cool, I guess. That' s about it, though.
Nitro

RE: Resistance 2 unveiled - first screens! 60 player online! - Jan 12, 2008 08:26
The screens are definitely in-engine and there' s obviously not going to be a huge jump in things like texture resolution and poly counts etc... and the framerate is confirmed to be a locked 30fps like the first game, but the lighting looks completely different.

Game Informer (which is where the scans were taken from) mentions in their article that the biggest graphical difference is a large increase in the number of enemies in each scene. The 2005 footage for the original game showed outdoor battles featuring far more enemies and NPC characters onscreen than actually featured in the final game, and i think that if implemented correctly, it could certainly make the gameplay more exciting.

I don' t know about the 60 player online either, but i do know that GAF have a clan that regulary plays in huge 40 player battles. I never really bothered with the online mode for the first game because it was ass compared to GRAW and CoD2/3, but vehicles and classes could change that. They' re obviously putting more focus on the multiplayer side of things so as to rival Halo' s online community. I doubt Guerrilla Games will be doing as much online stuff, so the 2 should probably compliment each other.

I think that if Resistance is a Holiday 08 title then we' ll see Killzone 2 hit in early September. It can' t work any other way. Killzone in September and Resistance in November. Microsoft are going to need something big other than Gears 2.
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: Resistance 2 unveiled - first screens! 60 player online! - Jan 12, 2008 08:34
60 players?

Thats fucking insane.
Duffman

• Total Posts : 1096
RE: Resistance 2 unveiled - first screens! 60 player online! - Jan 12, 2008 08:46

Hey, im prefering it over SMG, does that say something about me? SMG? or Resistance, or maybe a bit about all three!

Dude............. I' m speechless...............

60 players online is impressive, I won' t get my hopes up for this game though. First Resistance was very very very ordinary, the multiplayer was fun but as Nitro said Cod, GRAW, Gears, Halo3 pisses all over it. A thing that anoyed me about the multi was the fact that the Chimera had the ability to see through walls, run faster and shite like that.
< Message edited by Duffman -- 12 Jan 08 0:48:25 >
Nitro

RE: Resistance 2 unveiled - first screens! 60 player online! - Jan 12, 2008 08:48

ORIGINAL: QuezcatoL

60 players?

Thats ***ing insane.

They can do it because they' re having dedicated servers.

360 would need some sort of multiple host system to cope with such huge games.

The maps in Resistance 2 must be huge though, and i' m not sure how team co-ordination will work with 30 people on each side. I wonder whether they' ll have private chat channels for like 4 - 8 multiple people!?
Nitro

RE: Resistance 2 unveiled - first screens! 60 player online! - Jan 12, 2008 08:51

ORIGINAL: Duffman

A thing that anoyed me about the multi was the fact that the Chimera had the ability to see through walls, run faster and shite like that.

Ah, y' see that' s one of the things that kept me playing AVP2 online for so long. Marines vs. Aliens (or motherfucking Predators) was seriously intense.
Duffman

• Total Posts : 1096
RE: Resistance 2 unveiled - first screens! 60 player online! - Jan 12, 2008 08:52

private chat channels for like 4 - 8 multiple people!?

They could have squads which would allow for a small number of people to talk to each other. Like BF2 on PC.
UnluckyOne

• Total Posts : 995
RE: Resistance 2 unveiled - first screens! 60 player online! - Jan 12, 2008 10:09
60 Players? More does not mean better. Even fast paced gib fests like UT3 limit themselves to 32 players for a reason.
Nitro

RE: Resistance 2 unveiled - first screens! 60 player online! - Jan 26, 2008 10:11

Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: Resistance 2 unveiled - first screens! 60 player online! - Jan 26, 2008 11:53
I don' t want to play any FPS with the SIXAXIS, let alone anything that resembles Resistance.

I' m happy waiting for 100vs.100 person maps in Huxley.
mikayd2

• Total Posts : 1129
RE: Resistance 2 unveiled - first screens! 60 player online! - Jan 26, 2008 12:34

I know i' m not alone in my opinion that the first game was a highly flawed, generic and obviously rushed waste of time, effort and money... but i have hope for the sequel... especially after the awesome Tools of Destruction.

I thought Fom was a great game. Some flaws but fun none the less.
Eddie_the_Hated

RE: Resistance 2 unveiled - first screens! 60 player online! - Jan 26, 2008 22:49

I don' t want to play any FPS with the SIXAXIS, let alone anything that resembles Resistance.

I don' t see why everyone has issues with the Playstation form factor controller. The downsides to the original SIXAXIS were the weight, the triggers, and the lack of rumble, and they' ve gotten around two-and-a-half of those problems with Dualshock 3 (I' d say three, but the rumble is supposed to be pretty half-assed). It' s heavier, it' s got rumble, and developers have totally screwed the triggers and decided to stick with R1 for first-person shooters.

Unless that is, you didn' t like DualShock 2. I know people didn' t like it because of the symmetrical joystick allignment, but I' m of the belief that if an inch of difference is really going to throw off your game, you need to be playing M&K.
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: Resistance 2 unveiled - first screens! 60 player online! - Jan 27, 2008 16:58
Anyone who is comfortable with R2 and L2 in FPS games should die. It' s a total deal breaker as far as I' m conserned. They' re horrible! When i have the choice between a PS3 or 360 version I' ll choose the 360 version just for this reason. The only way i' d choose the PS3 version is if these buttons aren' t used.

Sony needs to take a long look at the 360 controller and take some ***ing notes. If they put some trigger buttons on the dual shock it would be perfect. L2/R2 buttons are the single greatest flaw with the PS3.

It' s not the fact that the buttons are convex instead of concave. The problem is that they are on a terrible angle. They shouldn' t come inwards like that. The position the buttons are in when they are released should be where it goes when pressed.
< Message edited by Agent Ghost -- 27 Jan 08 9:11:18 >
Eddie_the_Hated

RE: Resistance 2 unveiled - first screens! 60 player online! - Jan 28, 2008 02:15

Anyone who is comfortable with R2 and L2 in FPS games should die. It' s a total deal breaker as far as I' m conserned. They' re horrible! When i have the choice between a PS3 or 360 version I' ll choose the 360 version just for this reason. The only way i' d choose the PS3 version is if these buttons aren' t used.

Sony needs to take a long look at the 360 controller and take some ***ing notes. If they put some trigger buttons on the dual shock it would be perfect. L2/R2 buttons are the single greatest flaw with the PS3.

Yeah, their " triggers" suck, but which game has really suffered because of their crap triggers? I' ll admit, Motorstorm got a little frustrating at times, but as a whole game developers have worked around it.
Marink

• Total Posts : 884
RE: Resistance 2 unveiled - first screens! 60 player online! - Jan 28, 2008 03:51
I reeeally want this game to be good. I don' t want to get a PS3 and then find out that all of its FPSs are crap. Although I' d probably just use it mainly for RPGs, as my brother already owns a 360...

I' m a big fan of huge multiplayer matches, though. So I' ll have to wait and see.
< Message edited by Marink -- 27 Jan 08 19:52:15 >
immortaldanmx

• Total Posts : 2966
RE: Resistance 2 unveiled - first screens! 60 player online! - Jan 29, 2008 03:40

360 would need some sort of multiple host system to cope with such huge games.
Didnt Battlefield use dedicated servers on LIVE?
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
RE: Resistance 2 unveiled - first screens! 60 player online! - Jan 29, 2008 10:23
Return to Catle Wolfenstein, one of the first xbox live games on the original xbox had options for dedicated servers. It is just stupid when games dont' have options to host dedicated servers. It isn' t hard to do. The reason they don' t do it is because it would be confusing to nubs to have dedicated server options. Fuck that, give us the option.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll