Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 WiiSixty? " blow me" says Nintendo
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 32
Bishonen

• Total Posts : 1718
WiiSixty? " blow me" says Nintendo - Aug 18, 2006 22:41

Kikizo

Nintendo Shuns Rivals' Advances

Wii360? Not if Reggie has anything to say about it.

Both Sony and Microsoft had good things to say about Nintendo' s new console, the Wii, after this year' s Electronic Entertainment Expo. Microsoft' s Peter Moore even went to far as to recommend that people get a Wii and an Xbox 360 rather than a PlayStation 3. Nintendo doesn' t feel the same way about its rivals.

" I' d much rather have the consumer buy a Wii, some accessories, and a ton of games, versus buying any of my competitor' s products," Nintendo' s Reggie Fils-Aime told the USA Today.

And he would think that way. Fils-Aime was recently promoted to president of Nintendo' s American arm, and one of his aims is to make sure the Wii gets its job done. That job: growing the games market through new experiences rather than simply foisting glitzier versions of the same games on people.

" Our goal is to have as many teens and young adults as we have 40-plus-year-olds excited about the platform," said Fils-Aime. " We' re trying to expand this business here in the US in a way that it really hasn' t been expanded... for the health of this industry."

Online is becoming a bigger part of that plan. The Wii will build on the model created for the DS, which had a mantra of simple, safe, and free.

" We will offer online-enabled games that the consumers will not have to pay a subscription fee for," Fils-Aime said. " They' ll be able to enjoy that right out of the box. The Wii console is going to be Wi-Fi enabled, so essentially, you' ll be able to plug it in and go. It won' t have hidden fees or costs."

But the cost most people are interested in is the price of the Wii. We have boundaries in place already. Nintendo said the Wii will not cost more than $250 in the US or ¥25,000 in Japan - that translates to about £130 for the UK.

" We' re well on our way to sharing all of that information with our retailers and our licensees," said Fils-Aime. " We' ll be sharing that information publicly later on."

...oh dear...

...this could be pretty bad news for Microsoft y' know... ....Reggie seems to be hinting at a much more aggressive stance by nintendo this time round, which puts them back into direct competition with Microsoft just like last gen....

....in fact if i remember correctly, it was pretty close between Gamecube and Ex-box for much of the previous gen... with nintendo taking a early lead but then suffering as microsoft caught up and then eventually passed them.....

...perhaps Microsoft should be more concerned about underestimating the power of Wii over trying to scale the Playstation mountain?.....

< Message edited by Bishonen -- 18 Aug 06 16:05:20 >
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: WiiSixty? " blow me" says Nintendo - Aug 18, 2006 23:06
I don' t care what Reggie says.

I never thought wii60 ftw just because Shigeru wrote- " wii60 ftw" !

No i did it because i can buy both for the same cost as a ps3.
Ofc nintendo want to have as big marketshare as possible.
But consumers/shigeru doesnt think in that way apparently.

Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: WiiSixty? " blow me" says Nintendo - Aug 18, 2006 23:15
Shigeru didnt write that, it was photoshoped.

And it makes sense for nintendo to go against this wii60 thing, as people buy a 360 first and a Wii second.

Being second isnt a very good business motto
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: WiiSixty? " blow me" says Nintendo - Aug 18, 2006 23:19
Okay.
But he was in the same room with peter moore.
I know that.
And his autograph is being written as i saw it.
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: WiiSixty? " blow me" says Nintendo - Aug 18, 2006 23:31
It' s funny how both companies with the most tangible benefits (graphics/processing power) are trying to buddy up with little old Nintendo.

Nintendo' s now like the one guy on the block who actually got a Dreamcast at launch, and everyone' s deciding that he' s their new best friend.

I think both companies recognise that Nintendo' s got alot of potential with this generation, and honestly, without dissing Microsoft or Sony (too much) it looks like they' re trying to hitch a free ride on the gravy train.
< Message edited by Eddie_the_Hated -- 18 Aug 06 15:32:21 >
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: WiiSixty? " blow me" says Nintendo - Aug 18, 2006 23:35
ms is just trying to grab some of all the postive news the Wii is getting pre launch. It will jump off as soon as the Wii launchs or soon after though.
]GaNgStA[

• Total Posts : 2949
RE: WiiSixty? " blow me" says Nintendo - Aug 18, 2006 23:59

Nintendo' s now like the one guy on the block who actually got a Dreamcast at launch, and everyone' s deciding that he' s their new best friend.

HEHEHE

The funny thing is ,both MS and Sony have been very cocky lately while Nintendo guys were modest and honest about their stuff, and yet in the end both Harrison and Moore lick Nintendos Ass.And Nintendo says fuck' em.

That' s fuckin hilarious.

Back on topic though - Reggie wants us to get a Wii with lots of peripherials , but from gamers perspective Wii60 looks very good (from bussines and software perspective).PS3 pricing made it look even better (2 next gen systems full of tasty exlusives for the price of one).

Having that said - don' t worry Reggie - I' ll spend a lot of cash on my gorgeous little console with your company' s logo on it.
< Message edited by ]gangsta[ -- 18 Aug 06 16:01:10 >
Bishonen

RE: WiiSixty? " blow me" says Nintendo - Aug 19, 2006 00:22
....and here was me thinking that it was only microsoft and it' s salivating fanboys who were sucking wii....

....or did i somehow miss the 300 different " Playstation-wii" websites?....

< Message edited by Bishonen -- 18 Aug 06 16:23:37 >
]GaNgStA[

RE: WiiSixty? " blow me" says Nintendo - Aug 19, 2006 00:28
Sony people responded to Peter Moore talking good about Nintendo and that you can have both 360 and Wii for the price of PS3 - they said that it' s true that Wii is a great system and that everyone should get it next to their PS3. :)
Zoy

• Total Posts : 1703
RE: WiiSixty? " blow me" says Nintendo - Aug 19, 2006 01:43
I thought Nintendo had said that the Wii is not a direct competitor with the 360 or PS3. Now Reggie refers to them specifically as their competitors.

He came up as a PR guy, so you can' t tell which way the wind is going to be spinning on a given day.
Bishonen

RE: WiiSixty? " blow me" says Nintendo - Aug 19, 2006 02:19
...i here you...

....but maybe nintendo are just changing their approach slightly because, after the success of the DS, they have realised that they could be in a pretty strong position to promote the wii as the ONLY gaming system to have...

....after all, for the majority of gamers, there will likely be only ONE next gen gaming machine in their bedrooms....
f3hunter

• Total Posts : 821
RE: WiiSixty? " blow me" says Nintendo - Aug 19, 2006 05:48
Makes me Laff as Reggie / Nintendo are not even bothered, they know Wii will own everything..
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: WiiSixty? " blow me" says Nintendo - Aug 19, 2006 12:22
I think Nintendo and Microsoft are both doing a much better job this time around. Microsoft is done trying to prove itself and has built upon what it started with Xbox while avoiding many of its mistakes, I' m actually having a lot of fun with Live when I never even tried it with Xbox

As for nintendo it seems as though they finally found their place with Wii. It was never a great idea by trying to compete directely for the same marketshare as Sony and MS. Now they finally are using their strengths, when making Wii a cheaper console.

Sony execs have basically been caught with both thumbsd up their collective asses. Their arrogance is going to cost them a lot of market share this round. I don' t think it will be the end of them, infact it looks like they will be late bloomers and might even come out on top but they definitely won' t do as well as last time.

The coming generationg of consoles is going to be a very interesting fight. I can' t wait to see what kind of shit they' re going to come up with.
Evil Man

• Total Posts : 1441
RE: WiiSixty? " blow me" says Nintendo - Aug 19, 2006 13:59
Nintendo can go fuck themselves.

They talked shit before n64 and gamecube launched and failed miserably, they will fail with wii too.
< Message edited by Evil Man -- 19 Aug 06 6:00:08 >
]GaNgStA[

RE: WiiSixty? " blow me" says Nintendo - Aug 19, 2006 20:37

I thought Nintendo had said that the Wii is not a direct competitor with the 360 or PS3. Now Reggie refers to them specifically as their competitors

He said (in this latest interview) that they will expand the market while Sony and MS fight over the high end users.So their approach didn' t really change.We all know that Wii is competing with both of them to some extent but silly boys like Evilsomething choose between PS3 and 360 cause it' s beyond their imagination how something this strange could be cool.

Only more experienced gamers and mainstream people will consider Wii.
< Message edited by ]gangsta[ -- 19 Aug 06 12:37:52 >
Tiz

• Total Posts : 3158
RE: WiiSixty? " blow me" says Nintendo - Aug 19, 2006 20:45
I just hope the Wii gets the same support it is getting at launch, for the rest of it' s
lifespan..

I don' t want it to look like the most promising console and then for developers to
just jump off the WiiWagon... Then there would be no creativity amongst
developers.

Hmm...
]GaNgStA[

RE: WiiSixty? " blow me" says Nintendo - Aug 19, 2006 20:59

I just hope the Wii gets the same support it is getting at launch, for the rest of it' s
lifespan..

Yeah - that' s the real issue every Nintendo system after SNES had.

It' s doing much better now than N64 or GCN did before launch though - MUCH MUCH better.(it' s priced as a secondary system,development is 1/4-1/2 of competitors developement cost,it' s very different and it has a lot of 3rd party exclusives and almost no direct ports whatsoever)
Zoy

• Total Posts : 1703
RE: WiiSixty? " blow me" says Nintendo - Aug 20, 2006 01:59

Only more experienced gamers and mainstream people will consider Wii.

Speaking as someone who started off gaming with an Atari 2600, I think you' re right. The Wii does have more intriguing potential with its controller than just continuing in the same direction with the other two systems.

On the other hand, us " more experienced gamers" remember well that we were a small segment of society long before gaming had any mainstream appeal. That means we signify a smaller market. Secondly, I have a limited budget and an already-established group of friends who I regularly play with on Xbox Live, and we' ve agreed that that is the first of the new systems we' re getting. For me, it remains to be seen if I can actually afford two next-gen systems at the same time.
Evil Man

• Total Posts : 1441
RE: WiiSixty? " blow me" says Nintendo - Aug 20, 2006 03:59
It' s coming out with zelda at launch so I pretty much have to get one, I' ll sell it after that though.
Tiz

• Total Posts : 3158
RE: WiiSixty? " blow me" says Nintendo - Aug 20, 2006 04:02

ORIGINAL: Evil Man

It' s coming out with zelda at launch so I pretty much have to get one, I' ll sell it after that though.

Couldn' t you just buy it on Gamecube and call it a day?

Or did you sell your Cube?
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 32

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread