Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 The're Releasing the First 1:1 Motion Sword Game By Christmas
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
The're Releasing the First 1:1 Motion Sword Game By Christmas - Aug 14, 2008 19:54
And when I say "they", you of course know I mean Sony.

As the game can track where the sword is at all times, this allowsfor more complex gameplay. The first thing to note is that EyeToy Play:Hero is played from a first-person perspective, so the player’s imageis not displayed onscreen like most other EyeToy games. What is seenonscreen is a glowing green representation of the sword that the playerholds, and as the game is camera-based it follows the player’smovements to an exact 1:1 ratio.
The game is split into four zones which are made up of story-relatedmini-game style sections that each features a different take onmotion-based swordplay. Each zone culminates in a boss battle, whichonce beaten, will see your sword gain additional powers.
One interesting example of these powers was your sword becoming afiery beacon of sorts that needs to be used to guide the player throughdark passageways. The sword needs to be hidden behind the players backto cover the light when monsters are passing. This is a great exampleof Sony playing to the strengths of their hardware, and producinggameplay that could not be done with a Wiimote.

Other gameplay sections we witnessed included the outset of the gamewhere the Hero is bombarded with fruit by local ruffians and must usethe sword to block. To add some extra difficulties to the mix there arealso chickens that must be avoided, or at the risk of losing pointsthey can be whacked for much amusement.
We also saw the first boss battle against the ‘Black Knight’. Thecolour-tracking means that the sword doesn’t have to be in motion forit to be sensed by the game, this allows the player to block attacks byholding the sword in the correct position. Attacks can also be parriedby slashing at the opponent’s sword, and the Knight’s most powerfulattack can be ducked.

The final level on show was one from the last section of the game,which saw the player-character riding on the back of a dragon andfighting off attacking griffons. By this stage the sword had beenbestowed with some form of wind power, and tornados that pass by can beabsorbed by your weapon and flung back at your enemies. The microphoneis also put to use here as you can order your dragon to breathe flameby simply shouting “FIRE!”
From what we’ve seen so far, the ideas present in this title seemfar better designed than previous EyeToy games and the prospect of aproperly accurate sword-fighting game certainly appeals.

Zoy

• Total Posts : 1703
Re:The're Releasing the First 1:1 Motion Sword Game By Christmas - Aug 14, 2008 20:42
EyeToy games are fun, but easily broken.  I expect you can just go berserk and wave the sword around crazily and break the game.
Eddie_the_Hated

Re:The're Releasing the First 1:1 Motion Sword Game By Christmas - Aug 14, 2008 21:10
That's apparently something they're trying to correct with the color detection stuff they're working on with Sony's new eye.

To clarify, the sword motion is 1:1 in 2d space. I didn't post the article in it's entirety.
Zoy

• Total Posts : 1703
Re:The're Releasing the First 1:1 Motion Sword Game By Christmas - Aug 15, 2008 00:32

To clarify, the sword motion is 1:1 in 2d space. I didn't post the article in it's entirety.

Well, that's a hefty nugget of information to have left out!  I think the Wii can track a third dimension, can't it?
immortaldanmx

• Total Posts : 2966
Re:The're Releasing the First 1:1 Motion Sword Game By Christmas - Aug 15, 2008 02:39
Zoy

Well, that's a hefty nugget of information to have left out!  I think the Wii can track a third dimension, can't it?

Not yet. Maybe after buying another add-on(Motion Plus).
Eddie_the_Hated

Re:The're Releasing the First 1:1 Motion Sword Game By Christmas - Aug 15, 2008 03:15

Yeah. I copied/pasted the smaller part of the article on "Hero". There's plenty of writing before and after.

I'm assuming anybody who wanted to debate this will go and read the link anyhow.

Sort of...

Take all the condescention out of

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n255/Eddie_the_Hated/MotionPlus.jpg

that picture, and there's your answer, in simple-ish terms.
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
Re:The're Releasing the First 1:1 Motion Sword Game By Christmas - Aug 15, 2008 03:32
I don't agree Eddie, the add-on should make everything more accurate.  Not only should it be more accurate but it can simulate the Y axis to essentially give 3D controls. 
<message edited by Agent Ghost on Aug 15, 2008 03:43>
Eddie_the_Hated

Re:The're Releasing the First 1:1 Motion Sword Game By Christmas - Aug 15, 2008 04:13
Right.

With motion plus it'll be able to, but it has a hard time doing it now. It can simulate it using the gyroscope, but not well, because the only constant info is where the diode is pointed at, not at what angle. The gyroscope, as far as I know, only measures relative change from point 0, at the time of movement. It doesn't constantly check back up to see if it's at the right angle or not, at least that's my understanding of the hardware.
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
Re:The're Releasing the First 1:1 Motion Sword Game By Christmas - Aug 15, 2008 04:27
FAIL

Wrong thread
<message edited by Agent Ghost on Aug 15, 2008 04:28>
GrayFox

• Total Posts : 356
Re:The're Releasing the First 1:1 Motion Sword Game By Christmas - Aug 16, 2008 14:24
Eyetoy was always a nice idea to me but the games were badly executed.I hope this one will break the trend and make a good game. It does sound they are putting some effort though.I just hope shouting "BURN THOSE SOB's!" will work as whispering "fire".
<message edited by GrayFox on Aug 16, 2008 14:26>

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message