Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Official review/preview Q&A thread
Change Page: 12345678910.. > | Showing page 1 of 16, messages 1 to 20 of 303
Edwin

• Total Posts : 658
Official review/preview Q&A thread - Sep 24, 2008 10:45
Morning maties :)

While our judgements may appear incontrovertible - nay, godlike - we Kikizo writers have been known - whisper it - to get stuff wrong. Crucial gameplay details omitted. Vital mechanics left unattended. It seldom happens of course, but when it does we like to be informed, and that's where the snazzy redesigned forum comes in. Welcome one and all to the official Kikizo editorial Bugger Up thread.

Somebody managed to write a LittleBigPlanet review without mentioning Sackboy? Or covered a Pro Evo title without giving a thought to FIFA? Let us know - with extreme prejudice, of course - here.

Alternatively, you may just want to post here to let us know what a great job we've been doing. Or to broach issues with a game we simply haven't had the time or space to cover. Either way, expect a devastatingly well-informed response pretty damn sharpish.

Ed
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
Re:Official review/preview Q&A thread - Sep 24, 2008 12:09
Uh... but we don't care.

We rarely venture over to the main site. Why would we? We have Eurogamer.
Edwin

Re:Official review/preview Q&A thread - Sep 24, 2008 12:19
Not if they keep on offering those LBP keys, you don't :)

Not tempted by the current article line-up then?
Nitro

Re:Official review/preview Q&A thread - Sep 24, 2008 15:59
I told you, ...i read your WipEout HD review. It was a decent write up.

But i'm wondering where your Force Unleashed review is. The NDA expired on the 15th, and the game has been on shelves for 5 days. Is it somewhere in the pipeline... or what?

There are reviews for Wall-E but not Yakuza 2, Soul Bubbles but not STALKER: Clear Sky and Secret Agent Clank but not Warhammer Online?

Why would i bother reading reviews on Kikizo if i can read them on every other site a fortnight in advance... 9 times out of 10 before they hit shelves?

Kikizo does great [if a little short] interviews... but the reviews and video section need a ton of work, ...especially given the competition. I mean, why read a review when i can watch a video-review in HD on Gametrailers? They even have their videos formatted to stream on my iPhone.
Ornodeal

• Total Posts : 645
Re:Official review/preview Q&A thread - Sep 24, 2008 16:42
I have to give credit to kikizo for their GTAIV review, it was much more thorough than any other sites' that I found, but apart from that I don't remember any other review that stands out from any other website
Edwin

Re:Official review/preview Q&A thread - Sep 24, 2008 17:50
Nitro

I told you, ...i read your WipEout HD review. It was a decent write up.

But i'm wondering where your Force Unleashed review is. The NDA expired on the 15th, and the game has been on shelves for 5 days. Is it somewhere in the pipeline... or what?

There are reviews for Wall-E but not Yakuza 2, Soul Bubbles but not STALKER: Clear Sky and Secret Agent Clank but not Warhammer Online?

Why would i bother reading reviews on Kikizo if i can read them on every other site a fortnight in advance... 9 times out of 10 before they hit shelves?

Kikizo does great [if a little short] interviews... but the reviews and video section need a ton of work, ...especially given the competition. I mean, why read a review when i can watch a video-review in HD on Gametrailers? They even have their videos formatted to stream on my iPhone.

The reviews section has been pretty slow of late, it's true, due to scant resources - that's why Adam hired me! All going to plan, we'll get up to speed with pre-release material in the coming weeks. As for Force Unleashed, I'm not handling that one myself so can't give you an exact timeframe, but it's certainly not too far off.

In the short term you can expect a Brothers In Arms: Hell's Highway review from me tomorrow - narrowly before the European release on the 26th. Clank is a bit of an anachronism - I understand the review went AWOL between submission and publication and has only just resurfaced.

How many reviews do you need to read, out of interest, before you decide to buy or not buy a game?

/open question
Zoy

• Total Posts : 1703
Re:Official review/preview Q&A thread - Sep 24, 2008 19:26
Actually, I don't mind the reviews showing up later if that means they're more thorough and reasonable than those on other sites.  All the other sites racing to get the review done by the time the game hits shelves are potentially more vulnerable to hype.  (Not that Kikizo has proven invulnerable to hype.)

Personally I rarely buy a game the day it comes out, and the ones that I do buy on day one, I'm not going to be swayed by reviews.  Reviews are more helpful for me during lulls when I'm looking back through several games that I missed months back.  In those cases I'll read three or four reviews from various sites before making a decision. 
Edwin

Re:Official review/preview Q&A thread - Sep 24, 2008 20:39
I read at least four or five reviews before buying a game, generally. Unless some PR goon's sending me a copy gratis, of course...

I think the aspect which tends to suffer when you rush out a review is online multiplayer, as it's hard to set up a representative match pre-release.
Iad umboros

• Total Posts : 750
Re:Official review/preview Q&A thread - Sep 24, 2008 22:40
Good thread, and I totally understand with the online thing.  My PES review suffered last year (and I would have marked it down a point, probably) due to Konami not including a key on promo copies to get online.  I got one later, and it's a laggy turd.
Chee Saw

• Total Posts : 1466
Re:Official review/preview Q&A thread - Sep 25, 2008 01:03
I'd say that previews for games rarely sway my decision, unless I decided to buy something, and then hear that it is absolute garbage.

My problem is that my taste in games is fairly different than most gamers.  For instance, I had a LOT more fun with Advent Rising (which tanked in retail sales) than with Mass Effect (which was a blockbuster).  I'd rather play the "not hardcore" fighting games, and DOAXBV, and the like.  Not that I don't recognize the quality of popular games, just that I can't get into some of them for some reason.  So when a review comes out, it's usually pretty useless to me.  I do like to read them, though.
Nitro

Re:Official review/preview Q&A thread - Sep 25, 2008 09:00
Edwin

The reviews section has been pretty slow of late, it's true, due to scant resources - that's why Adam hired me! All going to plan, we'll get up to speed with pre-release material in the coming weeks. As for Force Unleashed, I'm not handling that one myself so can't give you an exact timeframe, but it's certainly not too far off.

I usually have game the day of release, if not before... so while i'll pretend to feel comforted that it's not too far off... i already have the game and so probably won't read the review when it goes up.

That said, the truth of the matter is that i simply don't like any reviews. They're somebody elses opinion, and i can get a better idea of whether i will like a game by watching footage of it... which is where Gametrailers and my buddy Blim's awesome Gamersyde come in. Gamersyde's first 10 minute videos are far superior to any written review because they generally play the game from the menu, so you can get an idea of load times etc...

The only problem with Gamerysde is that they don't update often enough... and that's because the guys have real-world day jobs and limited resources.

Gametrailers usually does a video review for all big releases, and while i have zero interest in the accompanying commentary, the 6 or so minutes of HD gameplay video is usually enough for me to make my decision.

Edwin

In the short term you can expect a Brothers In Arms: Hell's Highway review from me tomorrow - narrowly before the European release on the 26th.

...but will their be a review of the PC version ahead of it's October release date?

Edwin

Re:Official review/preview Q&A thread - Sep 25, 2008 12:45
My problem is that my taste in games is fairly different than most gamers.

You're talking to a man who likes Dwarf Fortress. I wouldn't worry :p

That said, the truth of the matter is that i simply don't like any reviews. They're somebody elses opinion, and i can get a better idea of whether i will like a game by watching footage of it... which is where Gametrailers and my buddy Blim's awesome Gamersyde come in. Gamersyde's first 10 minute videos are far superior to any written review because they generally play the game from the menu, so you can get an idea of load times etc...

Yeah, the video section is definitely something we need to get sorted - it's on the shelf at present while we focus on other areas. I never, ever buy a game these days unless I've seen it in motion - screenshots can be pretty deceptive, given certain publisher tendencies to prioritise texture detail/resolution over smooth performance.

I don't think we will be reviewing Brothers in Arms on the PC - or at least I won't. My PC sucks deep-roasted donkey balls :)

Nitro

Re:Official review/preview Q&A thread - Sep 25, 2008 13:45
Edwin

Yeah, the video section is definitely something we need to get sorted - it's on the shelf at present while we focus on other areas. I never, ever buy a game these days unless I've seen it in motion - screenshots can be pretty deceptive, given certain publisher tendencies to prioritise texture detail/resolution over smooth performance.

It sounds like you're well up to speed with the ins and outs of Kikizo...

How long have you know Doree?

Edwin

I don't think we will be reviewing Brothers in Arms on the PC - or at least I won't. My PC sucks deep-roasted donkey balls :)

I was under the impression that Doree was waiting on delivery of a couple of badass Alienware machines...

...6 months ago...
Adam Doree

• Total Posts : 1113
Re:Official review/preview Q&A thread - Sep 25, 2008 20:05
TFU was not assigned to Edwin and I know it's late, there are reasons for this and the point you make about Wall-E vs Yakuza etc. We've got a handful of new reviewers, not just Edwin whose role here is going to be a lot broader, so reviews process in general should be smoother - and better for those readers who do find reviews useful.

Here's the point, while we aim to pull review socks up in general, Edwin will be playing a lot of preview code months before release, in the comfort of his pants. Hence it will be the preview code he's allowed to talk about that should make this thread most interesting, rather than reviews which, as you point out, are not useful to everyone.
We're not doing videos right now because as you rightly point out, there are better places to get them from people who focus solely on videos - Blim's Gamersyde, GameTrailers, what have you. This does not change the fact of course that a few years ago we were doing videos best, first. But since we are not funded by Rupert Murdoch I decided to be selective about which stuff we focus on for the time being.

Critiquing the site is always useful so we appreciate the feedback, although to be honest there is rarely anything raised we are not already aware of and either dealing with, or just ignoring because we can't be arsed. I thought this was obvious really...
Evilkiller

• Total Posts : 660
Re:Official review/preview Q&A thread - Sep 25, 2008 21:03
I always liked those lenghty video interviews you had. A chance of them making a comeback? Like when you had that 30 minutes interview with Ed Fries etc.
Edwin

Re:Official review/preview Q&A thread - Sep 26, 2008 17:17
In the comfort of my pants? I sincerely hope not - it's almost winter, damn it, and my flat's central heating is intermittent at best.

Nitro: I've only recently become acquainted with Adam, but in that short space of time he's bought me several pints of lager, which makes him a lifelong friend as far as I'm concerned.

*hic*
Kelvinellenton

• Total Posts : 454
Re:Official review/preview Q&A thread - Sep 26, 2008 21:06
Since you made a thread about reviews I might as well post the question here. I have just finished reading your review of Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway and I wanted to know how long the story lasts?
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
Re:Official review/preview Q&A thread - Sep 26, 2008 22:25
I read Kikizo reviews on occasion, for particularly controversial titles, or ones I have serious interest in, but for the most part, I prefer to write my own.

By the way, I'll be doing Brothers in Arms for sure, and TFU if anybody wants more than my, admittedly rather lenghty impressions. They're in the queue with my half-done iTouch review.
Edwin

Re:Official review/preview Q&A thread - Sep 27, 2008 03:48
Kelvinellenton: I'd say twenty hours or thereabouts. Depends how l33t you are, of course - I managed to royally bugger myself up around a third of the way in by switching control schemes :)
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
Re:Official review/preview Q&A thread - Sep 27, 2008 06:31
I found myself directing troops into the line of fire, when I wanted to take cover a-la-Gears...

Fucking frustrating until I found the Tour of Duty scheme... which made me relearn it. Thankfully, I was only an hour or so in.

The game isn't perfect. Believe me when I say it has some pretty big nags for a title three years in the oven, but it's nowhere near as bad as some have made it out to be. I'm not going to post an impression, I'll just wait until I've finished the full game, and dicked around in the multiplayer for my final conclusion.
Change Page: 12345678910.. > | Showing page 1 of 16, messages 1 to 20 of 303

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message