Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 general ps3
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 38
canadagamer

• Total Posts : 965
general ps3 - Feb 28, 2006 22:20
I live in Canada and just signed up for kikizo forum. I have come to realize that this site and forum is THE best place for any news and or gossip on 360, rev or ps3,(I heard NO THREADS ALLOWED). I am looking for truth and not threads or rumors. I held off on buying a 360 in hopes that the ps3 would be out by the spring launch date or at the very latest early summer, and also because I currently own an xbox and have come to a conclusion that what has made ps2 better than xbox is quality and volume of games. So it was my understanding that the same, most likely, would be the same when it came to the 360 and ps3. However, reading articles on this site as well as in the forum, I am not so sure now that my decision was correct. I am at a point now where I don' t know whether I should just buy a 360 or ps3, or just go ahead and buy them both. Ps3 has given us some great trailer footage but that is about it, no new news on launch dates or a price tag. Sony is playing a dangerous game, and I' m not sure if it will hurt them or reward them in the long run. Blu ray keeps popping up as the biggest obstacle facing Sony right now, not the cost of parts as we all know they will be willing to lose money on the console and make that up on the games. Sony needs to close this issue with Blu ray and give us gamers some kind of concrete news, which I imagine will not come for at least a month or 2(E3).
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: general ps3 - Feb 28, 2006 22:32
WELCOME!

We' ll be hearing some sort of news in the next few days hopefully. Tomorrow DevStation 2006 begins and runs for 2 days is specifically focusing on PS3. With any luck we' ll hear a couple more things about PS3 development ad what the future holds.

The DevStation website is located here...

http://www.devstation.scee.com/

Also note that GDC (Games Developers Conference) runs from the 20th to the 24th of March and both Sony and Nintendo have keynote speeches lined up.

The GDC site is located here...

http://www.gdconf.com/

We' re unlikely to get any further clues as to when PS3 will launch but it should answer some of our questions.

Bishonen

• Total Posts : 1718
RE: general ps3 - Mar 01, 2006 06:45
...buy both dude....

.....it' s the only way to avoid tears.....
KiLLeR

• Total Posts : 314
RE: general ps3 - Mar 01, 2006 13:31
and don' t forget the Rev, it' ll replace your morning exercise.

oh and welcome!
< Message edited by KiLLeR -- 1 Mar 06 0:31:51 >
canadagamer

RE: general ps3 - Mar 01, 2006 23:28
Thanks for the reply.
Sony Announces Blu-Ray Date; PS3 Soon Thereafter?
By: Jared Black

Sony has announced that the Blu-Ray format will launch in North America on May 23rd, with the Samsung BD-P1000 being the first Blu-Ray player available on the market. Eight movies will launch alongside the format, including 50 First Dates, The Fifth Element, Hitch, House of Flying Daggers, A Knight' s Tale, The Last Waltz, Resident Evil Apocalypse and XXX.

These will be followed by Kung Fu Hustle, Legends of the Fall, Robocop, Stealth, Species, SWAT and Terminator on June 13th. Sony also announced that it is merging its optical drive business with NEC' s, forming a joint venture with the HD-DVD supporter (Sony hedging its bets perhaps?) in which it will have a 55% majority stake.

Of course, what we really care about here at VGGEN is when the PlayStation 3, which will of course feature the format as a major selling point, will launch. After yesterday' s story where Sony admitted a launch delay was possible due to delays in nailing down the final Blu-Ray specs, it would seem that we now have a vague idea of when the PS3 launch will happen. The system will almost definitely launch no earlier than May 23rd, and likely several months after that unless Sony is planning the greatest E3 surprise of all-time (which would show the company learned nothing from Sega' s ill-fated surprise Saturn launch in 1995). Since they would also want to give Samsung and other Blu-Ray player manufacturers a few months to sell their units before the cheaper all-in-one PS3 hits the market, that would place the PS3 launch sometime in the Fall in North America.

That, of course, has been the prevailing theory here at VGGEN and elsewhere in the media for quite some time now.
With this article can' t we just safely assume a PS3 launch date or what? We now know when Blu-Ray is being launched so PS3 couldn' t be too far behind now could they? I guess once again we' re just going to have to wait for Sony to come out with an OFFICIAL word. http://ps3.vggen.com/news/news
Nitro

RE: general ps3 - Mar 01, 2006 23:57

Sega' s ill-fated surprise Saturn launch in 1995

Yeah, that pissed a lot of people off. Sony won' t be doing anything of the sort though.

It' ll probably hit Japan in September then the US in November
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: general ps3 - Mar 02, 2006 05:00
sony won' t be coming out with any official press statement' s anymore, they' re allergic.

hey, if we can get it stateside or... uh... canadaside? by thanksgiving, i won' t be suprised. yeah, it would bite, but it' s not like a late release was unexpected.
canadagamer

RE: general ps3 - Mar 02, 2006 21:56
I agree majik, I' m not upset anymore about hearing sony has delayed the launch of the ps3, with what I' ve read in the past few weeks, I' ve come to expect a northamerican launch sometime this fall, which isn' t that bad. For Sony, as long as they have ps3 out for the Christmas rush it' ll be fine.

Nitro

RE: general ps3 - Mar 03, 2006 10:23

For Sony, as long as they have ps3 out for the Christmas rush it' ll be fine.

It would have benefitted them to have it out sooner, especially seeing as Revolution will be launching in the US this fall too and 360 is expected to have sold 8-10 million by the end of the year.

I' m reserving my judgement for now but i don' t expect a lot from the launch anyway and i' ll be buying Revolution as soon as i can, ...i don' t even have to see it, just sign me up...

For me to part with what Sony will ask, they have some work to do. This E3 is going to be major i think
Eddie_the_Hated

RE: general ps3 - Mar 04, 2006 00:58
i agree, this e3 will be the hottest one since the dreamcast launch. and as for the ps3, it won' t matter what their launch date, or titles are. people will buy, it' s a ps3 for pete' s sake. it' s gotta be better than the ps2!!! that means it rocks! right? right?

but i' ve got my money on nintendo. i think they' re moving away from the pack in terms of gaming. 360 and PS3 are the only real competitors in the next gen race.

but that' s only because Nintendo has no real competition. they are a company all their own. They' ve got that quirky gaming thing down to a science with the DS, and they' ll dominate the japaneese market, the young market, and the estranged 35 year old pac-man playing market with the revolution. everyone' s clamoring for visuals, and i think ps3 and 360 will deliver. but nintendo always has and always will be for gameplay.
FURIOUS ANGEL

• Total Posts : 10
RE: general ps3 - Mar 04, 2006 01:24
i think sony are being way too risky with the way they are treating gamers. although theyre probably thinking e3 will calm everyones fears and get people all hyped up i think they should be reassuring people and showing the hardware off. if they were honest like microsoft were about 360 then people would be so concerned about where it was all going.

nintendo poses a huge threat to both systems and i think sony knows that it will be targetted the hardest by rev. the whole bluray (beta-ray even) mess has caused a lot of difficulties for sony and many people have lost some faith in the company.

did you know that the first bluray discs will only hold 25 gig and the first hddvd discs will hold 30? because of that and all the other problems with the bluray technology companies who had previously been stout bluray supporters have also said their films will be released on hddvd too. its not like people will even take the jump until there is a clear winner anyway so sony were stupid to stop the development of hddvd/bluray combo players.
canadagamer

RE: general ps3 - Mar 06, 2006 22:23
E3 will be amazing, hopefully. Hopefully Sony will have some kind of announcement concerning ps3. I like the comments made about rev, since a lot of people, me included, have forgotten about rev. The rev controller for one looks fantastic, since the first time it was unveilled I have had visions of how great fps will be for rev!!! Both ps3 and 360 will have to watch out for rev, rev may not be as advanced as either of the 2, but what nintendo has going got them is pure enjoyable gameplay. How many people would by the rev just to play the next mario kart game or mario party game? Sony and Microsoft have gone for the glitz and glamour in their systems, nintendo just wants you to have a good time playing the games, and they also want to get new gamers on board, people who have never otherwise played games regularly, that in it' s own is awesome!!!
Eddie_the_Hated

RE: general ps3 - Mar 07, 2006 06:29
Definately, if sony had been honest, i think there' d be more hype. yeah, mystery and the unknown always brings hype, but when people start to realise that they won' t know anything for a while, a long, while, the suspense wears off. I was anxious for the launch when they were first showing off the case, and when i saw the mgs 4 trailer, but i almost bought an x-box 360 in a fit of anxiety last week. i just have to hold out till fall... 2024
uumai

• Total Posts : 1363
RE: general ps3 - Mar 07, 2006 07:01

but i almost bought an x-box 360 in a fit of anxiety last week.

I know the feeling, I keep checking the internet each day hoping against hope that there is some new information.
I also found myself last week really tempted to by a 360, until i realised, that is, there is nothing on the system i would be willing to spend out on as there are not many things are to my taste yet. I just wanted to have something ' new' .. I hope when PS3 launches that there are some good games, but currently i just wanna get all the information on it

Well for now my PS2 is keeping me very happy, and this year seems good for the machine. I' m not in a rush for a ps3, just want lots of new official news (and to see gameson a rev too but this is not the place for that, is it?)
KiLLeR

• Total Posts : 314
RE: general ps3 - Mar 07, 2006 13:45

Sony and Microsoft have gone for the glitz and glamour in their systems, nintendo just wants you to have a good time playing the games, and they also want to get new gamers on board, people who have never otherwise played games regularly, that in it' s own is awesome!!!

MS is trying to go that way too with Live Arcade. They are going for the glitz and glamour, but also after the simple, easy to pick up games. You can play street fighter on Aracde now, how cool is that. Midway is gonna have 5 of their old skool games available for Live Arcade, just wait until other companies join too, like Capcom. Maybe in a year we' ll see SNK games on there, Metal slug, last blade, samurai showdown, GMOTW etc etc.

Im really excited about the Rev too...I still want to know more, but like Majik said, sign me up for when the rev is released, I' ll be buying one, even if I haven' t bought the 360 or ps3 yet.

PS3 on the other hand, I don' t know if they are gonna have something like Live Arcade, but anyway, no matter what, PS3 is gonna get the biggest support anyway and it is going to be a success, no matter how much they' re fucking around now.

Joe, you know more about movies and what not, and since blu-ray and hd-dvd are closely linked to movies, which do you think will win, hd-dvd or blu-ray? Ive read somehwere that the HD-DVD is more felxible than the blu-ray when it comes to types of video formats and sound and all that shit, which would be an advantage for the future. and you guys, what do you think? I know this is a topic about the ps3, but I think the blu-ray is and will play a huge role on the ps3, so trying to understand it better wouldn' t be a bad idea.
< Message edited by KiLLeR -- 7 Mar 06 0:48:22 >
Hidemoto

• Total Posts : 311
RE: general ps3 - Mar 07, 2006 19:15
I will one that will have a rev as soon as it comes out...cuz its all about games right? i must say i am a xbox 360 fan but so far its expensive, specially games, and 1st generation of games arent usually that great because developers dont know the hardware that well....when halo 3 is officially announced then count me in
]GaNgStA[

• Total Posts : 2949
RE: general ps3 - Mar 08, 2006 01:22
Canadagamer - you should realise that PS3 won' t have as many cool games as 360 for at least a year after it' s launch.(remember first year of PS2?)

I think Playstation is a brand that could be described as " The ultimate gaming platform after 3-5 years from launch" - OFC if it sells very well (cause that will force Devs to make games for a " very hard to program system" )

This month Xbox 360 will totally rule with Ghost Recon and Oblivion.

Now I don' t own 360 (I' m still playing on PS2 - MGS3 at the moment) , but it has become a fantastic system - I can' t believe how many good games came out for it in such a short time.

Call of Duty 2
Kameo
Project Gotham Racing 3
Burnout
Condemned
Quake 4
DoA4

and now GRAW and Oblivion.

and soon even more amazing games ...damn :)

QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: general ps3 - Mar 08, 2006 01:26
I dont wanna speak for games for ps3 yet...
many games that are being dev that isn' t announced that may have gotten very far,or games like dmc4 for ex...
]GaNgStA[

• Total Posts : 2949
RE: general ps3 - Mar 08, 2006 02:30
Y?eah you' re right , but looking at PS2 - it' s promising titles and then the actual launch titles, I think it could be mediocre.Still maybe they' ve learned something ...

Can' t wait :)
uumai

• Total Posts : 1363
RE: general ps3 - Mar 08, 2006 06:59
I suppose all this wait for the system is helping devs as they (possible) have more time to work on their games. So at least the games should be polished first gen games.

I wonder about launch... Multi release? Doubt it, but it' d certainly help them they would sell out quick but then, they will anyway. If they can wait until a time they have enough components etc then it' s possible.
Launch titles? Sony need to pull something out, if people wait a lifetime for this console and then it launches with the equivilent of the ps2 launch line up (read crap) then it' s gonna hurt them even more.

Monday after next is first day of gdc, sony are set to make a speech, do you think it' ll be another tgs (read another E3) or will sony FINALLY unveil something new, something REAL?

Here' s hoping something good this way comes.
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 38

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message