Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Shenmue 3: Anything new?
Change Page: 123456789 > | Showing page 1 of 9, messages 1 to 20 of 171
whiteguysamurai

• Total Posts : 316
Shenmue 3: Anything new? - Jun 09, 2006 14:08
It' s been some time, and i' m smack in the middle of re-playing shenmue 2.

So, have i missed anything new about if and when shenmue 3 is coming?

Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: Shenmue 3: Anything new? - Jun 09, 2006 14:34
Wail till E3!
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: Shenmue 3: Anything new? - Jun 09, 2006 16:33
Yeah,i just hope they still thinkin of dev it.
No question in my mind that SEGA employs has discussed about it.
But look at SEGA they invest in being publisher for great companies and dev a NEW Gen SEGA that looks serious,and other titles i forgot.

If they do well,we might see shenmue3.
If not,i doubt it.
whiteguysamurai

RE: Shenmue 3: Anything new? - Jun 09, 2006 17:52
I wonder if i threaten to do something crazy, like.... I dunno go on a hunger strike, will this speed up shenmue 3?
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: Shenmue 3: Anything new? - Jun 09, 2006 18:03
Industry insiders told me that Yu Suzuki forgot to flush the toilet a few days ago and they are working on getting pictures of the results to be posted soon!!!
< Message edited by Joe Redifer -- 9 Jun 06 10:04:07 >
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: Shenmue 3: Anything new? - Jun 10, 2006 02:38
Why Does sonic get guns but Ryo dosent?. Hell imagine " Shadow the Shenmue" which involves ryo running around shooting things and petting cats. I' d play that.

edit: ohhhhhhh Joe you won Jun 2004 and I won 2005 Jun, Maybe I am your successor?
< Message edited by silentbomber -- 9 Jun 06 18:39:15 >
Kaze

• Total Posts : 30
RE: Shenmue 3: Anything new? - Jun 10, 2006 03:53
Even though it could add a few months onto the development time, you do get the feeling that should Shenmue 3 not be released (or at least start development) any time in the forseeable future, Sega should re-produce the first two games for resale, as well as the third, once it hits shelves.

For the diehard Shenmue fans this might not seem that hot an idea - after all we' d be waiting a few months extra for a product we' ve already played to death - but from a business and consumer point of view, it' s the only real option.

I doubt many DVDs would sell if its entire content was the last half of the movie advertised. Sure you may be able to pick up the storyline, but you' re not nearly as interested as you could/should be, and you' ll probably feel a bit pissed off that you' ve paid good money for something that leaves you feeling indifferent once you' ve finished it.

Very tough situation to contemplate; Spend vast amounts of time and effort on a game that only a small percentage of the gaming community will appreciate and buy, or spend even more time and effort bringing it to the more mainstream audiences but still risk failure as most people are idiots.

It' s all pretty frustrating, and not getting us any closer to killing that son' va bitch Lan Di... or wasting hours playing Afterburner.

At least we have Shenmue Online, though...
Silentbomber

RE: Shenmue 3: Anything new? - Jun 10, 2006 04:24
wasnt that canceled? and China only which is just as good as being canceled?

Shenmue needs to be remade, I would gladly play the New Generation versions.
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: Shenmue 3: Anything new? - Jun 10, 2006 04:29
They should have just ported them to PSP.
Dionysius

• Total Posts : 831
RE: Shenmue 3: Anything new? - Jun 10, 2006 05:02
I just had a brilliant idea! I’ll be going to Japan in the day after tomorrow (man, I felt good while typing that), and as a gamer I cannot forgive myself for not buying me some rare (or not so rare) gaming merchandise. And as I had this idea I thought to myself; hmm… What is the one thing I feel I need to have in my game collection? And the answer I found was the ORIGINAL, JAP version of SHENMUE for the Dreamcast! I cannot believe I hadn’t thought of this before now.

I honestly think that Shenmue is a game that stands out even amongst the greatest of games. And even though I would NEVER award a game a full 10, Shenmue comes the closest to perfect, with a score of 9.9 points (rated by myself).
Incidentally, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time holds second, and if I would rate it I would give it a 9.8, which might seem close to Shenmue, but this high on the list, 0.1 points is a BIG difference!

And just so you know, when I’m a wealthy globally acknowledged game designer, I shall remake Shenmue for all consoles available… But it will stay the same as it is now… Maybe update the graphics, but the rest remains, ‘cause it doesn’t get any better than it is…

…Oh, and the dub is unfortunately lost in a totally unpredictable, horrid fire!
< Message edited by Dionysius -- 9 Jun 06 21:10:30 >
Kaze

• Total Posts : 30
RE: Shenmue 3: Anything new? - Jun 10, 2006 05:13

wasnt that canceled? and China only which is just as good as being canceled?

Last that' s been heard of it (as far as I know);

Shenmue Online is still alive and kicking strongly, despite the temporary halt of development after JCE discontinued their involvement, for reasons which are still unknown. An anonymous Taiwanese company now occupy JCE' s former role, said to be working hard on the project, planned for release in 2006. Taiwanese videogaming site GNN recently talked with Yu-san about Shenmue Online, also asking him about the sequel. On top of this, five new Shenmue Online screenshots were released.

From Shenmue Dojo, November 8th last year.
Apparently there was a bit of a spat with the Kikizo staff about this. Something to do with conflicting interviews. It' s anyones guess, really.

Even if it was China only I' d still get my hands on it somehow. Of course getting it to play would be another matter entirely.
< Message edited by Kaze -- 9 Jun 06 21:14:10 >
Silentbomber

RE: Shenmue 3: Anything new? - Jun 10, 2006 06:35
yeah but its not true Shenmue. Thankfully I still have to play Shenmue 2, so its like a whole new experiance just waiting for me!
whiteguysamurai

RE: Shenmue 3: Anything new? - Jun 10, 2006 06:54

They should have just ported them to PSP.

There is allot wrong with what you just said:

1) The psp is not powerful enough for anything like shenmue.

2) If it " has" to be ported to a (shiver) $ony system, it should be powerful enough to at least be playable to dreamcast standards, so it would be ps3, or at least ps2...Though it wouldn' t look nearly as good.

It needs to be ported to both next gen systems, the powerful ones.

Or better yet, the pc.
Silentbomber

RE: Shenmue 3: Anything new? - Jun 10, 2006 06:58
psp is a powerfull peice of kit, dont underestimate it, and I think they could easily port it over, not as graphical nice however, but not too much lost. It wouldnt really work for portable anyway, you can pet cats outside the house in real time anyway.
Nitro

RE: Shenmue 3: Anything new? - Jun 10, 2006 07:21

The psp is not powerful enough for anything like shenmue.

Incorrect. The PSP' s specs actually outdo Dreamcasts in almost every area.

Dreamcast' s CPU runs at 200MHz and it had 16MB of main RAM and 8MB of VRAM.

In comparison, the PSP' s CPU clocks in at 333MHz, but is currently capped at 222MHz because of overheating issues with the hardware. It has 32 MiB of main RAM and 4MiB of DRAM, and an additional 2MiB attatched directly to the GPU.

What PSP would do worse is loading and anti-aliasing, but due to the nature of PSP' s small screen, the aliasing issue wouldn' t be so bad.

If PSP can run GTA: LCS more than ok, and GTA: LCS is a more technically demanding game than GTA3 was, and GTA3 was more technically demanding than Shenmue, then i can' t see why you would think PSP couldn' t run Shenmue as well as Dreamcast.

It wouldnt really work for portable anyway, you can pet cats outside the house in real time anyway.

I don' t know, i think it could be restructured for handheld play relatively easily without losing the feel of the original game.
whiteguysamurai

RE: Shenmue 3: Anything new? - Jun 10, 2006 08:13
the dreamcast might " only" run at 200 mhz, but the gpu for the dreamcast is quite something to behold.

while the pos might have a theoretical limit to how much geoetry the unit can display, the dreamcast uses something called " tile rendering" where overdraw and obscured/hidden verticles are not drawn, giving the dreamcast the ability to render scenes with insane geometry,like a full wan chai with little showdown and full debry.

The psp can' t do that kind of geometry trick, nor can the ps2.
It' s unfortunate the dreamcast didn' t go on, you might expect to see games looking better then this generation' s ps2 or gamecube had it.

I think it' s possible, but not with the same kind of interface. and with the psp' s severely limited pipeline power, you might expect to get only a few shenmue quality npcs in a part of town, and even then, would you get the same quality of town?

I would like to see shenmue go on to something with a lot less " flash in the pan" power.
whiteguysamurai

RE: Shenmue 3: Anything new? - Jun 10, 2006 08:28
Here is a great place to read about tile rendering http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PowerVR

If there are parts you do not understand, feel free to list them, and i will help you to understand how they effect performance.

Thanks for listening,
Nitro

RE: Shenmue 3: Anything new? - Jun 10, 2006 09:06
Cool, but do you have a better link than Wikipedia?!
whiteguysamurai

RE: Shenmue 3: Anything new? - Jun 10, 2006 11:03
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: Shenmue 3: Anything new? - Jun 10, 2006 17:35

ORIGINAL: whiteguysamurai

It' s unfortunate the dreamcast didn' t go on, you might expect to see games looking better then this generation' s ps2 or gamecube had it.

Wow! You really think so?
Or is it just the Sega love in you that makes you believe?
Change Page: 123456789 > | Showing page 1 of 9, messages 1 to 20 of 171

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message