Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Musical Tastes ..
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 32
shade

• Total Posts : 77
Musical Tastes .. - Feb 24, 2003 22:56
Im not sure what everyones musical tastes are but for me this is actualy the first non Hip Hop / Lyricist board that i have actively participated in .. So i thaught we could get a lil music discussion going, ima just list some of the people im liking and anticipating at the moment an see what everyone else is into ..

Avril Lavigne - The first non Hip Hop album i have baught for at least 5 years, and im have to say it ia a F' ing blinding album ..

50 Cent - As i new it would be, A very tight album wich i had been anticipating since 98. 50 is the 1st thouroughly gangster orientated artist to aproach the genre wit a more lyrical and content based stance .. As opposed to other MCs like DMX he laces his verses with witty punchlines and a few metaphors and ofcourse the stereotypical ' Cap Bussin' .. I have been listening to hip hop since i was around 10 or 11 and have to say he has breathed new life into a dying Thug/Gangster area of the Hip Hop market ..

^Those are the 2 new things thats spinning most around me at the moment alongside Chino XL, Cainibus & Crooked I .. The only other thing in music that is realy exciting me is the release of Rakim' s new album called ' Oh My God' ..

Whats on everyone elses ears ??
MattThomas

• Total Posts : 30
RE: Musical Tastes .. - Feb 24, 2003 23:04
Im a big fan of the Rap genre and I like just about everything else except the real heavy metal stuff. I have to agree with you on the 50 Cent issue. I purchased his CD the day it was released and I still can' t get enough of it. I play it at least 2 times a day, entirely, beginning to end. This is the first album I can actually enjoy listening to from song 1 to song 19 - there' s no bad ones. The lyrics are absolutely sickning, I don' t know where he gets his stuff, but some of the things he spits out are amazing. Anyhow, I haven' t heard anything but 50 Cent the past few weeks, and I don' t intend on buying another CD until I get tired of this one.
shade

RE: Musical Tastes .. - Feb 24, 2003 23:30
Yup, 50 is killing it at the moment .. 1 600 000 + units mooved in the 1st two weeks is an amasing acumplishment for any Hip Hop artist bar Eminem .. having said that Eminem is 90% of the reason 50 is in this position at the moment ..

I predicted great things from 50 in 1998 when he dropped ' How To Rob' but with the shooting an all he sorta disappeared untill early last year when he dropped the ' Guess Whos Back' wich was a great independantly released album .. And now he has teamed up wit Slim & Dre it is the icing on the cake .. Im looking forward to his collaboration wit DMX on X' s album, now dats gonna be ill ..

I used to love people like DMX, Onyx and still do but i have progressed to the intensely lyrical side of Hip Hop and studying the science behind it all with artists like Canibus, Chino XL, Canibal Ox, Eyedea and Crooked I .. I belive that a more lyrical, metaphor based and witty aproach to Rhyming is the only way forward .. And that is what 50 is doing .. So good luck to him and hopefuly he along with Eminem can open the gates for artists like Canibus & Chino XL (the hardcore of Hip Hop Lyricism) to shine ..
HELLBENT

• Total Posts : 58
RE: Musical Tastes .. - Feb 24, 2003 23:56
Yeah, like you I have been waiting on that " Fitty" for a minute. I remember first hearin him on that Clue mix joint singing the NYPD/LAPD joint. Needless to say, his album is smokin. What do you guys think about the whole Jeffery Atkinnnnnss situation?

I like a wide spectrum of music, however the only genere that I purchase regulary is hip hop. In addition to 50 cent I think Jada Kiss is another artist with some of the illest lyrics. Jada is straight sick. You gotta have a good rewind button when you listen to his stuff!
shade

RE: Musical Tastes .. - Feb 25, 2003 00:11
The Jeffery Atkinnnnnnns situation is hillarious .. ' I will Jet Lee His Ass .. Whadoooooooooa!' Bawhahahahahaa !! Poor old Ja is catching it from every angle .. Even Eminem says on ' Go To Sleep' wit DMX & Obie (off the Cradle 2 Tha Grave ost) ' Ja you' ll get it too' .. I bet Jeffery is holding hourly candle lit prayer sessions hoping that Eminem doesnt get involved .. I have the impression that DMX & 50' s mutual dislike for Ja is the motivation for collaborating on X' s new album, so Ja has 1 more verbal ass raping to look foreward to ..

Oh yeh, did you get the Limited Edition DVD album(Get Rich Or Die Trying), cuz if not try an get your hands on it cuz the DVD is tight as hell .. I was very impressed with it, its well over an hour long .. I was expecting it to be a 20 minute lil thing ..

Jada is nice, and not too far behind him is styles ' Gangster & Gentleman' realy suprised me, im looking foreward to Sheek' s album now .. I always thaught the LOX was a talented trio ..
deadmeat

• Total Posts : 63
RE: Musical Tastes .. - Feb 25, 2003 02:02
Well, to add some variety, I listen to Rock. Bands like Van Halen, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Bon Jovi, Godsmack, etc.
shade

RE: Musical Tastes .. - Feb 25, 2003 17:24
^ I used to listen to a little Guns n Roses waaaaay back in the day, before i was introduced to Hip Hop .. But since then The only contact i have had with Rock was Buying Avril Lavigne' s album and going to see Nickleback in concert (Wich i was dragged to against my will by my girl) but ended up having a great time, the show was blinding .. Since hearing and falling in love with Avril i have promptly booked tickets for her show over here in a few months and will also be going to see Linking Park next week in London ..
Nas Escobar

• Total Posts : 10
RE: Musical Tastes .. - Feb 27, 2003 06:28
50 Cent' s new album is dissapointing, the middle part of the album is full of filler, there' s atleast 4 filler tracks in there and another 2 towards the end, I dont remember how many tracks long the album is, I think its 18 with the bonus tracks, they should' ve cut it down to 12 or 13 cause while I think 70% of the album is ill the other 30% is just wack, he dropped a bomb of wackness and too much filler material on that 30%

It' s sad cause you can tell he' s good but put too many bad tracks in there. I hate when rappers do that cause its ruins my perception of them, if it had lost those 6 gay ass tracks I wouldnt have lost respect for 50. Overall I' d give his album 7/10, cause its just that... 70% of it is tight.

Its his 1st album though always got time to improve, 2nd one should be a classic if he lives to release it, there was a drive by near one of his offices a couple of days ago, som1 did it cause there were rumors he was gonna be there and busta rhymes was in there too they couldve got him
< Message edited by Nas Escobar -- 2/27/2003 6:32:15 AM >
Nas Escobar

RE: Musical Tastes .. - Feb 27, 2003 06:36
As for what I listen to, just hiphop...

I had a short period where all I would listen to was rock, I used to like System of a Down, etc... but then it wore off and I went back to hiphop.

I' m not listening to any new things right now... I' m listending to Mobb Deep The Infamous (95), Prodigy - H.N.I.C, Jedi Mind Tricks - Violent By Design, and Twista - Adrenaline rush, these 3 are like 2-3 years old each. The only new one I' ve been listening to was 50 cent but got bored of it.
BigRedMachine

• Total Posts : 127
RE: Musical Tastes .. - Feb 27, 2003 13:42
I' m just really into alternative music.
Bands like Tool and Queens of the Stoneage are pure entertainment for me.
Especially Tool. I adore every song of them and no matter which mood I' m in, I can listen to it.

But I' m also a big fan of your average hard- and punkrock. Bands like Foo Fighters, KoRn, The Offspring, NOFX and Sum 41 just make my day.

And a band to highlight is Blind Guardian. Their beautiful opera rock is incredibly good. Try downloading And Then There Was Silence. A 14 minute masterpiece.
fathoms

• Total Posts : 1060
RE: Musical Tastes .. - Feb 27, 2003 13:45
I like variety, myself (with the exception of rap/hip-hop, which I hate with a passion).

I' ve liked alternative and metal bands in the past, and I' m also a big fan of the 80' s rock music. In the past few months, I' ve listened to Metallica (their album with the SF Symphony Orchestra is AWESOME), Motley Crue' s Greatest Hits, Bon Jovi' s Slippery When Wet (one of the best albums ever), Limp Bizkit, Collective Soul, Michael Jackson' s Thriller, and Shania Twain' s Up (a suprisingly fantastic CD).

So I like a whole buncha stuff.

However, just for the record, the only TRUE music in the world is still Classical. Really, it' s just a fact.
< Message edited by fathoms -- 2/27/2003 1:46:38 PM >
AsH

• Total Posts : 15
RE: Musical Tastes .. - Feb 28, 2003 23:29

ORIGINAL: shade
Avril Lavigne - The first non Hip Hop album i have baught for at least 5 years, and im have to say it ia a F' ing blinding album ..

Yeah, um, not to be mean, but c' mon man, Avril Lavigne? That' s country music, my friend. She sang with Shania Twain at a concert in Canada. She never really sang rock-like music until her producers tossed the shit her way. And when I say rock-like, I mean a bastardized, poppy, rock-esque two-flush corn log. :D

On the other hand, I' ve come to respect Hip Hop and Rap more over the last 2 years, so I can actually enjoy it until I feel saturated by shitty commercial stuff. Underground is the way to go.
< Message edited by AsH -- 2/28/2003 11:50:55 PM >
Nas Escobar

RE: Musical Tastes .. - Mar 01, 2003 08:03
However, just for the record, the only TRUE music in the world is still Classical. Really, it' s just a fact

I am inclined to agree.

When I am stoned I listen to classical music it' s like oh my god...

But I listen to it on a normal state - NOT, cause it sucks.
< Message edited by Nas Escobar -- 3/1/2003 8:03:34 AM >
yoshimitsu15

• Total Posts : 1038
RE: Musical Tastes .. - Mar 01, 2003 14:15
I listen to wide variety of music. The only genre that I don' t care much for is pop music. I listen to heavy metal (not the really heavy stuff though), rap, classic rock, classical, techno, rock, etc., etc. My current favs right now are:

System of a Down: Steal this CD
Tool: Aenima
50 Cent' s new album
The Crystal Method
Coldplay
Staind
Rammstein
caolen

• Total Posts : 14
RE: Musical Tastes .. - Mar 08, 2003 20:33
Well me i' m into anything and everything from

Cradle of Filth TO DMX

i' m into all music except POP cannot stand it lol
Toast

• Total Posts : 134
RE: Musical Tastes .. - Mar 08, 2003 21:54
Well I appreciate everything from Classical to Rock. There' s only one type I don' t like and thats garage, sorry it does my head in!
caolen

• Total Posts : 14
RE: Musical Tastes .. - Mar 09, 2003 09:53
Garage can be alright i don' t have a
problem with it is that eventually it
get' s to be a pain in the arse lol.

I' m into so solid crew and a few other' s
and yes they are garage i have word
of mouth from one of them hehehe.

I made the mistake of not calling them
garage lol never again they are indeed
garage. lol
shade

RE: Musical Tastes .. - Mar 09, 2003 14:39
I cant stand So Solid Crew!
BigRedMachine

• Total Posts : 127
RE: Musical Tastes .. - Mar 10, 2003 17:32
Who can...
Rek

RE: Musical Tastes .. - Mar 12, 2003 02:26

There' s only one type I don' t like and thats garage, sorry it does my head in!

Garage can be cool sometimes when it isn' t too cheesey and commercialized. I can appreciate it more for it' s Drum n Bass roots. Now D&B is my thang! Kemel + Rob Data, Optical, Trace, Andy C, Danny Breaks, Teebee, J.Majik, Total Science, Dom + Roland and of course )EIB( aka Bad Company!

But my musical tastes go much deeper then that. I listen to a wide range of styles such as...

Classic rock: Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Jimi Hendrix, Beatles, Deep Purple, Creedence, Eagles, Steve Miller Band, Rush, Van Halen, etc.

80' s metal: Twisted Sister, Quit Riot, Ratt, Motley Crue, Def Lepard, Metallica.

Old School HipHop: RunDMC, LL Cool J, Beastie Boys, Tribe Called Quest, Jurasic 5, DJ Q-bert, DJ Mixmaster Mike.

90' s grunge type: Nivanna, Soundgarden, Stone Temple Pilots, Pearljam, Smashing Pumpkins, Weezer.

Other misc stuff: Talking Heads, Bob Marley, B52' s, James Brown, U2, Steevie Wonder, George Clinton (phunkadelic/Parliment), Steely Dan, Collective Soul, BB King, Born Jamericans, Dave Mathews Band, etc.
< Message edited by Rek -- 3/12/2003 2:36:22 AM >
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 32

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread