Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Crysis Demo
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
Virtua fighter 5

• Total Posts : 1327
RE: Crysis Demo - Oct 27, 2007 16:53
And don' t forget the newly released Nvidia Beta drivers
Agent Ghost

RE: Crysis Demo - Oct 27, 2007 17:23
Notice how they have new drivers everytime a big title is released. That' s not a good sign. It' s as if everytime they fix something they break something else.
choupolo

• Total Posts : 1773
RE: Crysis Demo - Oct 27, 2007 19:36
Woot. Fell asleep waiting for this last night. Gonna take so long to d/l.
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
RE: Crysis Demo - Oct 28, 2007 04:49
Actually they just optimize stuff so the game runs better. NVidia' s drivers blow away ATI' s. ATI' s are so bad you have to run third party drivers just so your card doesn' t overheat.

ORIGINAL: Agent Ghost

Notice how they have new drivers everytime a big title is released. That' s not a good sign. It' s as if everytime they fix something they break something else.

Agent Ghost

RE: Crysis Demo - Oct 28, 2007 06:02

Actually they just optimize stuff so the game runs better. NVidia' s drivers blow away ATI' s. ATI' s are so bad you have to run third party drivers just so your card doesn' t overheat.

They shouldn' t have to optimize the drivers everytime a new game is released. Games should be optimized for the drivers. I wasn' t insinuating that ATI' s were any better either. This has more to do with DX10 and too many different drivers to look after as opposed to a question of companies.

It wasn' t very long ago that these GPU companies only had one set of drivers to make. The windows drivers, that was it. Now they need single card and SLI/Crossfire drivers, DX9 and DX10, XP and Vista drivers. Not only do they have more platforms but the drivers naturally need to be more complex along with the GPU' s. Graphic drivers are like small operating systems these days, it' s crazy.
< Message edited by Agent Ghost -- 27 Oct 07 22:13:49 >
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: Crysis Demo - Oct 28, 2007 06:08
Anyhow how is the demo? how does it run?

If you are finding it slow try fragland.net, its the site I always use to download pc demos as fast, free and no messing!
Agent Ghost

RE: Crysis Demo - Oct 28, 2007 06:11
*Sigh* I' m downloading the Nvidia drivers. Hopefully I' ll be able to play Gothic 3 now. Then I' ll pick up the demo.
choupolo

RE: Crysis Demo - Oct 28, 2007 06:24
So I' ve got mixed feelings about the demo.

On the one hand the game is gorgeous with everything turned on, and some of the action you can instigate with the suit powers eg cloak, silently shoot two koreans in the head, then take out a jeep etc is hella fun. The way the AI reacts when it stumbles on your cloaked gun pointing at its head is priceless.

But then again its really just far cry with mods like Quez says. With a mix mash of cliches from Predator and the old War of the Worlds, and cutscenes in the style of Halo. The music and characters are generic. Theres really little thats original or even done better in terms of style. And I resent being told where to look, as the cutscenes serve little other purpose.

And then theres the fact that none of the graphical prowess really comes through with any of the details turned down. But to make it run smoothly I needed to turn the res down to 1280x800 and AA completely off, and keep the detail. (X1900XTX, 2gb RAM, 2.4Ghz Core2Duo) And then the mouse was still a little laggy. ATI drivers really do suck for Crysis.

Conclusion: I' m gonna have to upgrade to a 8800GTX or two so I can run this glorified tech demo in very high detail dx10 high res wonder! But maybe not for a few months. (And I can' t help feeling Crytek would' ve been better off without EA! MAXIMUM GAME! )
UnluckyOne

• Total Posts : 995
RE: Crysis Demo - Oct 28, 2007 09:23
I really think that the underlying reason for Far Cry/Crysis was to sell the engine as middleware to other developers. Didn' t work too well with Cry Engine 1 but many more developers are jumping on the Cry Engine 2 wagon.
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: Crysis Demo - Oct 28, 2007 19:44
Played it, didn' t like it. Very boring game.
I did like the COD4 demo alot though so at least I' ll get one FPS this year.
choupolo

RE: Crysis Demo - Oct 29, 2007 03:44

I really think that the underlying reason for Far Cry/Crysis was to sell the engine as middleware to other developers. Didn' t work too well with Cry Engine 1 but many more developers are jumping on the Cry Engine 2 wagon

Yea the middleware business is probably more lucrative these days. I guess Crytek needed to borrow some money to do it though and sold out to EA for it. I just hope they didnt lose too much.

Oh and another reason why I' m gonna wait until I can play this in dx10 is because I miss the light shining through the leaves! Dx9 leaves just look plastic now. And there are a lot of leaves!
< Message edited by choupolo -- 28 Oct 07 19:46:57 >

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message