Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Most Successful Console Launch Ever!!!
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
Most Successful Console Launch Ever!!! - Dec 05, 2006 21:07
NINTENDO > Microsoft > Sony

600,000 in the US, 400,000 in Japan making 1M sold woldwide already with and additional 1M soo to be ready for each territory to replenish stores and the EU launch this coming Friday. Nintendo will quickly catch up to Microsoft and take the lead this generation.

Currently Sony are stuck at around 360,000 worldwide and Microsoft have recently hit 8M and are looking to hit their 10M target before years end.

The King is Dead, Long Live the King!!!
Dionysius

• Total Posts : 831
RE: Most Successful Console Launch Ever!!! - Dec 05, 2006 21:10
Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

...!
< Message edited by Dionysius -- 5 Dec 06 13:10:36 >
lotusson

• Total Posts : 1212
RE: Most Successful Console Launch Ever!!! - Dec 05, 2006 22:04
No, I believe the PS2 was the most successful launch by far.
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: Most Successful Console Launch Ever!!! - Dec 05, 2006 22:05
Nintendo has the most loyal fans though.
Rampage99

• Total Posts : 3161
RE: Most Successful Console Launch Ever!!! - Dec 05, 2006 22:06
Uh... yeah, no. I don' t see the Wii coming out on top. The main reason it' s selling so quickly is because there are a lot more availible.
Nitro

RE: Most Successful Console Launch Ever!!! - Dec 05, 2006 22:20

ORIGINAL: lotusson

No, I believe the PS2 was the most successful launch by far.

No, Sony sold around 900,000 units in Japan at at launch but the console didn' t hit the US until 8 months later. Nintendo have launched in two territories already and sold 1M, and are launching in the EU in 3 days time.
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: Most Successful Console Launch Ever!!! - Dec 05, 2006 22:22
Okay,that might be true majik,but look at sony,they sold 900k at launch,why?
Cause they had that many,and they reached their 100 millions as with ps1.

I also think ps3 is gonna win this war,but by " winning" i mean just getting 40-45% marketshare,which isn' t winning in Sony' s mind.
Iad umboros

• Total Posts : 750
RE: Most Successful Console Launch Ever!!! - Dec 06, 2006 00:00
I' d like to add that preorders in the UK for the Wii won' t guarantee you one before the New Year now. I called ASDA though and my local store doesn' t take preorders and expects 8-10 consoles, so I' m going to head down there 10:30pm or so on Thursday and queue until Midnight to get it. Should do the trick!
lotusson

• Total Posts : 1212
RE: Most Successful Console Launch Ever!!! - Dec 06, 2006 00:47

No, Sony sold around 900,000 units in Japan at at launch but the console didn' t hit the US until 8 months later. Nintendo have launched in two territories already and sold 1M, and are launching in the EU in 3 days time.

900k was Sony' s day one total, the Wii' s day one total I believe was around 600k.
immortaldanmx

• Total Posts : 2966
RE: Most Successful Console Launch Ever!!! - Dec 06, 2006 02:33
ok, lotusson, I think we can agree its the most succesful this gen launch. Havent heard of too many people being shot for a Wii(PS3) and I havent had to wait 3 months to get my hands on one(360)
Chee Saw

• Total Posts : 1466
RE: Most Successful Console Launch Ever!!! - Dec 06, 2006 03:01

ORIGINAL: Majikdra6on

NINTENDO > Microsoft > Sony

600,000 in the US, 400,000 in Japan making 1M sold woldwide already with and additional 1M soo to be ready for each territory to replenish stores and the EU launch this coming Friday. Nintendo will quickly catch up to Microsoft and take the lead this generation.

Currently Sony are stuck at around 360,000 worldwide and Microsoft have recently hit 8M and are looking to hit their 10M target before years end.

The King is Dead, Long Live the King!!!

Depends on what you mean by " quickly" . Will the Wii surpass total 360 sales this generation? Maybe. I don' t think so, but it might happen. Will it happen soon? Definitely not.

I' d like to know about strong launches versus total console sales each gen. Does the strongest one out the gate always win in over-all sales?
Nitro

RE: Most Successful Console Launch Ever!!! - Dec 06, 2006 03:03

ORIGINAL: lotusson

900k was Sony' s day one total, the Wii' s day one total I believe was around 600k.

No no, you' re missing the point here. PS2' s launch was staggered. Japan got the machine 10 months before the US and 11 1/2 months before the EU. Sony had 900,000 units ready for the Japanese launch but the concole was then sold out for nearly 3 months.

Nintendo have already launched in 2 territories, both within 2 weeks of one another and just 5 days after the US launch the EU is gets theirs. Nintendo have already sold 1M, they' ll have a further million for the US and a further million for Japan, and then the EU sales, all before years end.

That' s what makes it the most successful launch ever.

Does the strongest one out the gate always win in over-all sales?

No, as Microsoft keep pointing out, in the past the first to 10M (which will be MS this gen) has stayed ahead. It' s more to do with royalties and benefits to developers than anything else though and Microsoft and Nintendo aren' t fighting for exclusives.
< Message edited by MAJIKDRA6ON -- 5 Dec 06 19:06:23 >
Alecrein

• Total Posts : 762
RE: Most Successful Console Launch Ever!!! - Dec 06, 2006 04:00

Nintendo has the most loyal fans though.

Nintendo fans didn' t take a bullet for a system, now did they? :P

But I' m sure they are pretty loyal, I' m a fan of Nintendo they are an amazing company that a lot of the industry should look at and take ideas from...oh they do, nevermind :P
Terrak

• Total Posts : 783
RE: Most Successful Console Launch Ever!!! - Dec 06, 2006 05:50
The Wii ain' t most hardcore gamers first choice, but it makes the perfect alternative gaming plaform.

FOr non gamers and casual gamers - If the Wii can appeal to them then Nintendo is well on the way of regaining lost ground and even coming out on top. Casual/nongamers make up a larger piece of the gaming pie and it looks like the Wii has the best chance of accessing that large market.

BTW for those who think that the demand is high because of high supply - thats the point, Wii is a ' high end' GC so manufacturing would never be a problem, so much as meeting demand. This was the benefit of Wii' s design. On the other hand sonys over complex ps3 is suffering so many delays & shortages. Thats the disadvantage of such a bleeding edge system. Beside publishers (not developers) always look at the numbers, and 1.1 million looks a whole lot promising then 350k.
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: Most Successful Console Launch Ever!!! - Dec 06, 2006 06:40

The Wii ain' t most hardcore gamers first choice, but it makes the perfect alternative gaming plaform.
I dunno about that. Most of my modding/underground gaming buddies want one more than they wanted PS3/360. However, I get where you' re coming from.
< Message edited by eddie_the_hated -- 5 Dec 06 22:44:10 >
Phoenix|Slash

• Total Posts : 134
RE: Most Successful Console Launch Ever!!! - Dec 06, 2006 11:17
The Wii is small but it boils up gamers imaginations, it' ll most certainly be better than the GameCube cause if it doesn' t sell more than 18-19 million units nintendo will see it as a failure...
The Next Gen war has only just begun...
It' ll be about a year before we see the true potentials of the consoles making war upon each other.
Byakko

• Total Posts : 599
RE: Most Successful Console Launch Ever!!! - Dec 06, 2006 14:09

boils up gamers imaginations

Almost more importantly, gaming DEVELOPERS' imaginations must be up to par for good use of the platform.

I don' t want what is currently the role of the PS3' s Sixaxis for example. Which is essentially extra ' buttons' that you activated by ' tilting' instead of ' pressing' =/

For example, a remake of a game where realism was key, like Bushido Blade, that makes use of the Wiimote for the motions is something I' d love to see.

RPGs that let you truly interact with the world? Astounding!

Will we get to see such games? The verdict is out on that.

Currently, I' m looking forward to Project H.A.M.M.E.R. It' s reportedly fluid and visceral control sounds just like the bar that Wii games should achieve by the next wave of games.
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: Most Successful Console Launch Ever!!! - Dec 07, 2006 09:48
I' m still waiting for a functional shooter on the Wii.
Terrak

• Total Posts : 783
RE: Most Successful Console Launch Ever!!! - Dec 07, 2006 10:57

ORIGINAL: Eddie_the_Hated

I' m still waiting for a functional shooter on the Wii.

and a rifle attachment to go with it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll