Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Good news for PS3 wanters!!! Not sure if it will happen though
Max_chelsea

• Total Posts : 30
Good news for PS3 wanters!!! Not sure if it will happen though - Feb 10, 2006 03:03

" At the end of a promotional video played during the PlayStation 3 launch event, the words “Spring 2006” were displayed on the screen – thus implying the console will be released sometime during this period. When exactly, and to which countries, is currently unknown. The rumors, however, point to a worldwide launch in March 2006."

That was in an arcticle in[link=]www.ps3land.com[/link]

Fingers Crossed Its True
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: Good news for PS3 wanters!!! Not sure if it will happen though - Feb 10, 2006 04:50
An article in PS3 land???

Hmmm, ok this is stupid. Sorry to rain on your parade but it isn' t happening. Sony are still saying Spring 2006, it makes sense that they put it in the promotional material they used at E3 and TGS.

But it' s not going to make it. The unit isn' t even complete yet and Spring is almost upon us!

Theoretically, if it were true, then only Japan would get it in Spring, with the US getting it around September and Europe still having to wait until 2007. Theoretically!

But, it' s not going to launch anywhere until at least the tail end of this year, and then likely only in Japan (possibly US to counter Revolutions Fall launch period).

Console launches are notoriously tricky to get right, in that there are many factor to be taken into account. Sony for example will need to ensure that there are enough launch games to keep everyone happy, that the system has fewer bugs than 360 did, that a decent number of games will filter through in the months after the consoles launch so people aren' t waiting 6-8 months for more games. They need to launch with a good amount of Blu-Ray DVD' s already on shelves so that the inclusion of a Blu-Ray drive will be viable (as opposed to making it optional). They need to give games enough time to pre-order and get the money together to buy the damn thing with however many games, extra pads etc you might want.

If the console costs £400 in the UK, and games are £50 (i would actually say £60-£65 due to the expense incurred by having to use Blu-Ray), then buying the console with (1 pad included), a memory card (harddrive isn' t included right?) and 2 games is going to cost you in excess of £520.

If it' s going to be expensive, people will need the chance to get the money together, or Sony would be lynched for fucking the kids over!

They are saying Spring 2006, because that' s when a large bulk of big name games are goiung to release for 360, and when stores will be getting lots more 360' s in to satisfy demand. The games that are coming up will sell a shit load of consoles and Sony doesn' t want 360' s userbase to expand that quickly. If they tell people they' re launching in Spring then people will be put off buying 360' s and it' s bigger games and may choose to wait for PS3.

When May comes around (mid-spring) and we have E3 and Sony makes all of it' s announcements, including final price and launch line-up, the people that waited for PS3 but had been tempted when it didn' t show up to hang on until it IS released at the end of the year.
]GaNgStA[

• Total Posts : 2949
RE: Good news for PS3 wanters!!! Not sure if it will happen though - Feb 10, 2006 05:43
Maijk check this guys post at Dragon Quest 8 thread and don' t bother explaining anything :)
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: Good news for PS3 wanters!!! Not sure if it will happen though - Feb 10, 2006 10:11
yeah, do i wish that any new console was coming out this spring, hizzzell yeah. but will it happen, probably not. as much as i have faith in sony, they have a notorious reputation of overhyping their console releases. for instance, with the playstation 2, everyone was chattering about the superior graphical capabilities... untill the xbox came out. and i' m not saying that i' m an xbox fan, i' m a game fan. but if sony just stuck to the facts, and stopped beating the dead horse that is the 2 teraflops thing, and gave a range of price so people with no steady income like me, can start saving their sheckels. well, my real life calls, but there' s more i' d like to say,
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: Good news for PS3 wanters!!! Not sure if it will happen though - Feb 10, 2006 10:48
Since the PS2 launched in Japan in March 2000, if the PS3 somehow launches in March of this year the only place I see that happening is in Japan.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll