Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Project Offset - 360 bound
Change Page: 1234 > | Showing page 1 of 4, messages 1 to 20 of 73
UnluckyOne

• Total Posts : 995
Project Offset - 360 bound - Aug 13, 2006 16:19
http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/11539/Project-Offset-Gets-Publisher-Xbox-360-Version-Confirmed/

Last night, Offset Software updated the news section of the Project Offset website, revealing that they have secured a " major" publisher for their fantasy first-person shooter. Travis Stringer, co-founder and lead artist on Project Offset, posted the following message:

Finally all moved in! We are looking for talented programmers and artists to join our team. We are now backed by a major publisher but will not be disclosing the details just yet. Visit our jobs page for more information on available positions.

If you go to the jobs page, you' ll find out that Offset Software is looking for an Xbox 360 Programmer whose primary responsibility will be to " handle porting, maintaining, and optimizing the codebase for the Xbox 360." That pretty much confirms an Xbox 360 edition of the game in addition to the PC, where the company has it roots.

It doesn' t take the IQ of Einstein to put together " major" publisher and Xbox 360 to start thinking that either EA, Ubisoft or Activision has signed an agreement with Offset Software to publish Project Offset. Or could it be that Microsoft Game Studios is on board and we are just a few weeks away (X06) from a public announcement?

We' ll have more on Project Offset as it develops.

Pretty big news. Discuss!

For those who don' t know about it:
http://www.projectoffset.com/
< Message edited by UnluckyOne -- 13 Aug 06 8:21:06 >
Tiz

• Total Posts : 3158
RE: Project Offset - 360 bound - Aug 13, 2006 17:18
Why does it have to be an FPS??!

I switched off as soon as I saw that..

An FPS set in a fantasy world??!!

What the hell are M$ playing at?
< Message edited by Tiz -- 13 Aug 06 11:17:53 >
Evil Man

• Total Posts : 1441
RE: Project Offset - 360 bound - Aug 13, 2006 19:47
Most FPS have Sci-Fi settings that are just as unrealistic as a fantasy setting, I dont see what the problem is. Shooting magic from your ass is about as realistic as gunning through demons and aliens.

The setting is good, Im sick of all the sci-fi and world war 2 FPS.
< Message edited by Evil Man -- 13 Aug 06 11:53:11 >
Mass X

• Total Posts : 4491
RE: Project Offset - 360 bound - Aug 13, 2006 20:01
Oblivion was essentially a FPS. Sure it had the option for third person, but it was clear which perspective it was designed for. You shot arrows and various magic ...First Person Sorcery?

Either way Im still very unsure as to what this game is gonna be. There' s sword play and what not involved so I dont expect to see a shotgun or anything. Theres a video on the site that I can' t load right now maybe that will give a better idea.
Tiz

RE: Project Offset - 360 bound - Aug 13, 2006 20:39
So it should just be FP instead of an FPS... Ok, so if it' s more like
Oblivion, that' s ok I suppose..
UnluckyOne

RE: Project Offset - 360 bound - Aug 13, 2006 21:53
FPP (first person perspective) is an acronym that probably more accurately describes it. Not sure why they use FPS, perhaps because it' s a familiar term.
Bishonen

• Total Posts : 1718
RE: Project Offset - 360 bound - Aug 13, 2006 22:06
...somebody should make all next-gen game developers take an oath along the lines of:

" I solemnly swear, in the name of all things programmed and geekish, to keep my mouth shut about my project until we have something worthwhile to show. ....like a near complete game for example.

May we loose all our funding and the game be completely ignored by gamers should we dare to break this oath"
UnluckyOne

RE: Project Offset - 360 bound - Aug 13, 2006 22:18

ORIGINAL: Bishonen

...somebody should make all next-gen game developers take an oath along the lines of:

" I solemnly swear, in the name of all things programmed and geekish, to keep my mouth shut about my project until we have something worthwhile to show. ....like a near complete game for example.

May we loose all our funding and the game be completely ignored by gamers should we dare to break this oath"

Actually, what these guys have shown is very worthwhile. Maybe not worthwhile from a game completion aspect, but from a technological, conceptual and design perspective they' ve really done well. Perhaps you havn' t been following the project much.

This amazing engine that puts pretty much every other game engine out there to shame. It was made by only three people working out of an apartment with a tiny budget budget. One person programmed the engine for a year and a half, the other two were artists. At the end they put together those two sneak peek videos you can download off the website. That' s mighty impressive if you ask me. It showed everyone that amazing things still can be created by small teams. Gradually the team has expanded to around 19 members.

If you think that what they' ve shown isn' t worthwhile, then your perception of reality is screwed.
< Message edited by UnluckyOne -- 13 Aug 06 14:19:51 >
Tiz

RE: Project Offset - 360 bound - Aug 13, 2006 22:23
19 members... I have 7... Hmmm.
Bishonen

• Total Posts : 1718
RE: Project Offset - 360 bound - Aug 13, 2006 22:32

If you think that what they' ve shown isn' t worthwhile, then your perception of reality is screwed.

...if that' s what you call being mostly concerned with playing games, then i' m guilty as charged.......
]GaNgStA[

• Total Posts : 2949
RE: Project Offset - 360 bound - Aug 14, 2006 07:16
just to clear thigs up - FPP - is a good description of any game with first person (ala DOOM) view.

FPS means First Person SHOOTER , so I wouldn' t call oblivion that - it' s an RPG with FPP view :)

Metroid was caled FPA - First Person Adventure (like MYST and so on)
Evil Man

• Total Posts : 1441
RE: Project Offset - 360 bound - Aug 14, 2006 08:32
If you watch the trailers of the game they cearly say its a FIRST PERSON SHOOTER, set in a fantasy world. No it is not an adventure, its a FPS in a fantasy setting, no it is not an rpg, it is a FPS in a fantasy setting.

Get over it.
Mass X

• Total Posts : 4491
RE: Project Offset - 360 bound - Aug 14, 2006 09:20

FPS means First Person SHOOTER , so I wouldn' t call oblivion that - it' s an RPG with FPP view :)

But you were able to shoot arrows and various magic elements like shown in Offset as well as sword play which both have. Another thing Oblvion also had a 3r dperson perspective and shown in the of the trailers Offset did as well.

So with shooting a various things, sword play, and a 3rd person perspective, whouldnt you be able to call either one a FPS. Of course Oblvion was an RPG overall. I' m just saying technically it also had some shooter elements.

Also when Offset was very first announced it was mentioned to have a bit of RPG element within it.

I have no idea what Im trying to prove, tho I think my basic point was made...maybe...
]GaNgStA[

RE: Project Offset - 360 bound - Aug 14, 2006 19:56

But you were able to shoot arrows and various magic elements like shown in Offset as well as sword play which both have. Another thing Oblvion also had a 3r dperson perspective and shown in the of the trailers Offset did as well.

FPS is a genre that has Half life 2 , HAlo,PErfect Dark 64, Quake and others.

It' s like calling any 2D Zelda game a vertical Shooter , cause it' s got a top-down view and you can shoot with your bow.

That' s just stupid.

Project offset seems to be a shooter - it has shooting things and above all the whole game is based on typical FPS goals - " kill them and go further" .

How can someone in 21 century call himself a gamer and not know what FPS is?

...come on
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: Project Offset - 360 bound - Aug 14, 2006 19:59

Metroid was caled FPA - First Person Adventure (like MYST and so on)

cough cough! its an FPS! People only want to call it an FPA so they can say that they dislike FPS!
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: Project Offset - 360 bound - Aug 14, 2006 20:05
It think it' s like this:
FPS - If shooting is the main attraction of the game
FPP - Any type of game in first person view
FPA - Adventure/RPG game in first person view
]GaNgStA[

RE: Project Offset - 360 bound - Aug 14, 2006 20:31

cough cough! its an FPS! People only want to call it an FPA so they can say that they dislike FPS!

this game wasn' t based on precision shooting - you had a lock on feature.You had to solve puzzles all the time.I think Metroid is a 100% justified FPA game.

I love FPShooters though.

It seems to me like you haven' t played that much of Metroid if you haven' t seen it' s adventure aspect.It' s what turns so many people off.

First Person Adventure is the way Shigeru described Metroid so that people would realise it' s not your everyday shooter.

It doesn' t matter what the view perspective is - some games are shooters , some RPGs and others are adventure games.You wouldn' t be wrong if you called Metroid an Action-Adventure title.

< Message edited by ]gangsta[ -- 14 Aug 06 12:34:01 >
Vx Chemical

RE: Project Offset - 360 bound - Aug 14, 2006 20:35
Well maybe its simply because i dont like the title FPA, i think its silly. Especillay in Metriod when all you do is shooting!
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: Project Offset - 360 bound - Aug 14, 2006 20:37
Shooting is one of the things you do but the exploration, upgrading and puzzles are even more important to the game as a whole even though there' s constant shooting. So it' s not a shooter in any way because that' s not the main attraction. It' s an adventure game since it has a little of everything in a nice combinaiton.
Vx Chemical

RE: Project Offset - 360 bound - Aug 14, 2006 20:39
You explore on mostly all other FPS games, instead up upgrading in other games you just pick up new items! And most even have the odd puzzle! does that make Doom 3, per say a FPA
Change Page: 1234 > | Showing page 1 of 4, messages 1 to 20 of 73

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message