Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 SC Conviction " Back to the drawing board"
Kelvinellenton

• Total Posts : 454
SC Conviction " Back to the drawing board" - May 20, 2008 17:59

Splinter Cell Conviction has been taken " back to the drawing board" by Ubisoft Montreal.

That' s according to a report in the latest Xbox World 360 mag. Though Ubisoft isn' t saying anything, the mag says it' s heard that the surprising development decision has forced Splinter Cell back into the festive period of 2009 - or as late as Spring 2010.

Conviction has been in development for some years now, surfacing early last year with combat involving dynamic scenery and crowd stealth gameplay that focused on mixing in with the public in Washington DC - a bit like Assassin' s.

According to XBW, it' s likely that the decision was made after Conviction was outdated by more recent gaming developments - most notably Ubisoft' s own Assassin' s Creed.

Ubisoft' s UbiDays event is due to take place in Paris next week, so hopefully we' ll get an official word then.

I didn' t know it was a X360 exclusive but okay

Source
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: SC Conviction " Back to the drawing board" - May 20, 2008 18:12
I was getting very skeptical of the game design decision!

Sam Fisher is cool! but maybe they pushed his story a bit too far with double agent.

Maybe a new agent could be introduced, schooled by Sam in some way
UnluckyOne

• Total Posts : 995
RE: SC Conviction " Back to the drawing board" - May 20, 2008 18:15
Yeah. It seems they went a bit too far from the formula and ended up with something that wasn' t Splinter Cell.
Rampage99

• Total Posts : 3161
RE: SC Conviction " Back to the drawing board" - May 20, 2008 22:58
Damn it! Another two years of waiting... that' s not fair.
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: SC Conviction " Back to the drawing board" - May 20, 2008 23:05

ORIGINAL: Rampage99

It' s either that or hand the project to Ubisoft Shanghai.

Rampage99

RE: SC Conviction " Back to the drawing board" - May 20, 2008 23:07

ORIGINAL: Nitro

ORIGINAL: Rampage99

It' s either that or hand the project to Ubisoft Shanghai.

I guess I' ll wait the two years...
Nitro

RE: SC Conviction " Back to the drawing board" - May 20, 2008 23:33
If it means we end up with a title that' s as badass as Chaos Theory was then it' ll be worth it.

Ubisoft Montreals priorities have obviously changed in light of Assassins Creed' s success. They' ll be looking to solidify that franchise as well as Far Cry 2 and the new Prince of Persia game.

The only other 2 studios that could have handled it are Paris and Shanghai. Paris have Red Steel II and the next GRAW game in development, and while Shanghai only has EndWar at the moment, after Double Agent... i' d rather Montreal handled it.
Vx Chemical

RE: SC Conviction " Back to the drawing board" - May 20, 2008 23:39
while double agent wasnt bad, it could have used a yaer more in the works. The story felt half.
Rampage99

RE: SC Conviction " Back to the drawing board" - May 20, 2008 23:47
Double Agent was very bad. When half of the game is the same level repeated there are some serious problems. I only have one level left on that game and refuse to finish it out of spite.
Vx Chemical

RE: SC Conviction " Back to the drawing board" - May 20, 2008 23:50

Double Agent was very bad. When half of the game is the same level repeated there are some serious problems. I only have one level left on that game and refuse to finish it out of spite.

the first is still my favorite
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: SC Conviction " Back to the drawing board" - May 21, 2008 00:22
Thank God. I was incredibly worried about the direction they were taking with the title.

I want an epic no-frills sequel to the original Splinter Cell, and the ever-awesome Chaos Theory. I' m more than happy to wait the extra time for the new title. I consider this seriously good news.

the first is still my favorite

Same here. I want another game where you can finish it without firing a single round.
canadagamer

• Total Posts : 965
RE: SC Conviction " Back to the drawing board" - May 21, 2008 00:37
This has been denied by Ubisoft:

Ubisoft has dismissed rumours that Splinter Cell Conviction is heading back to the drawing board as speculation.

The publisher was responding to a report in Xbox World 360 magazine that claimed the game was being redesigned because it wasn' t groundbreaking enough, and had even been outdated by Ubisoft titles such as Assassin' s Creed.

The rumours suggested that Conviction would go back into development and be given a fresh release date of Christmas 2009 - or even spring 2010.

Not so, said Ubsioft, telling Eurogamer the report is " pure speculation" .

Splinter Cell Conviction was revealed last year at the Paris-based publisher event UbiDays. The 2008 show takes place next week.

The fifth instalment in the sneaky Sam Fisher series does away with all the gadgets and casts you in a fugitive role where you will have to use your surroundings to survive: blend with crowds, throw tables at ice creams at people, that sort of thing.

LINK
Eddie_the_Hated

RE: SC Conviction " Back to the drawing board" - May 21, 2008 00:39
No it hasn' t.

They chopped up that quote. Ubisoft' s official spokesman actually said:

“There is no official comment on this story, which is based on a purely speculative news piece.

If it didn' t have an element of truth to it, why wouldn' t they simply squash the rumor quickly? Historically speaking, for having a " Rumor and Speculation" policy, the game industry goes out of it' s way to put down the incorrect rumors before they can spread.
< Message edited by eddie_the_hated -- 20 May 08 16:48:27 >
Vx Chemical

RE: SC Conviction " Back to the drawing board" - May 21, 2008 00:48
Damn
Eddie_the_Hated

RE: SC Conviction " Back to the drawing board" - May 21, 2008 00:50
Damn because it' s not binned, or damn because there' s still a chance it will get binned?
canadagamer

• Total Posts : 965
RE: SC Conviction " Back to the drawing board" - May 21, 2008 00:54

If it didn' t have an element of truth to it, why wouldn' t they simply squash the rumor quickly? Historically speaking, for having a " Rumor and Speculation" policy, the game industry goes out of it' s way to put down the incorrect rumors before they can spread.

Thanks for the " Whole" truth Eddie. I have all the faith in the world in Ubisoft Montreal, so if they do have to push the release back it will only make this game better.
Nitro

RE: SC Conviction " Back to the drawing board" - May 21, 2008 00:57
Eddie, you continue to impress me. You have learnt a lot about this industry very quickly, and your most recent posts have all been spot on... or at least the exact same way i see these things
Vx Chemical

RE: SC Conviction " Back to the drawing board" - May 21, 2008 01:26
edit

i hope its true
< Message edited by vx chemical -- 20 May 08 17:27:44 >
Eddie_the_Hated

RE: SC Conviction " Back to the drawing board" - May 21, 2008 05:47

Eddie, you continue to impress me. You have learnt a lot about this industry very quickly, and your most recent posts have all been spot on... or at least the exact same way i see these things

Thanks. It' s something I really am interested in, so I try to absorb as much information as I can from people more knowledgeable than myself, and make it useful.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll