Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Oblivion
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 22
Dagashi

• Total Posts : 987
Oblivion - Mar 24, 2007 10:35
Just picked it up for ps3. After having played it on a decent PC quite a bit when it first came out I' m surprised how easily it pulled me back in. It' s also a hell of a lot more enjoyable to play with such nice rendering and rock steady FPS. Definitely a must buy if you' ve never played it, or if you don' t have a high end PC. I' m addicted now, and the only thing that will pull me away is some online matches in Motorstorm, and Resistance with the new ps3 owners on these boards.

I also found this video on game trailers comparing the 360 to the ps3 version. It' s the best " comparison" video that I' ve seen done so far since it actually compares the exact same scenes in HD, and the camera pans accordingly.

I know that many will respond with " the ps3 had more development time/you had to wait 1 year etc" . Thats all true but at least something came of that time. I would like to see how " the shivering isles" expansion looks on the 360 compared to the ps3, as both will be coming out at roughly the same time.

Oh, and it takes 4.6 gigs of space on the HD, but took no time to install, I just stuck the disc in and started the game. Very odd. That said, the load times in the outside world take 3 seconds at maximum, they usually end up being a brief judder of the screen. Load times into houses/dungeons/cities take up to 7 seconds, but usually stay around 3 or 4.
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: Oblivion - Mar 24, 2007 11:54
It has very little to do with longer development time. The reason it looks like ass on the 360 and demands extremely high requirements on the PC is due to the fact that Bethesda has the shittiest programmers in the industry. Either that or they simply do not have enough time after the artists are done making the content to put the game together properly. Look at Morrowind and the other previous TES games. When those games came out on PC they also demanded very high requirements for the times. It' s not because the games were that much more impressive technically.

I don' t see how " the shivering isles" on 360 will be any different from Oblivion. It' s just added content, it' s not a game in itself. It has to use the same game engine as the full game. The expansion won' t majically (lol, fuck) fix the game' s problems.

The texture problem with the 360 version is mearly due to incompetence and a rushed job with optimization. Otherwise the 360 can do much better and at least match the PS3 version graphically.
< Message edited by Agent Ghost -- 24 Mar 07 3:55:17 >
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: Oblivion - Mar 25, 2007 22:36
So in your opinion Dagashi, should I buy it now on 360 + Shivering Isles, or should I wait for the PS3 version?
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: Oblivion - Mar 26, 2007 00:46
think of it this way eddie, would you perfer to have a longer game with slightly mudder graphics at a cheap price? or a sharper game wityh better fps and such without the extra content [not all of it] but at a higher price?

by the way i hook up my wireless keyboard and posted this on my shiny ps3.
< Message edited by Silentbomber -- 26 Mar 07 15:49:05 >
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: Oblivion - Mar 26, 2007 01:18
The 360 update is out and adds the new shader effects that were created after the PC/360 versions shipped. Textures look sharper, blend together better, pop-up is reduced, improved draw distance, improved loading etc.

Texture-wise the PS3 has nothing over the updated 360 version. That' s the whole idea behind the update. It should be noted that while the PS3 game runs slightly smoother, having a [sightly] better framerate, it also has no AA and no true HDR lighting and so looks washed out (kinda like connecting your 360 via VGA). And the PS3 version doesn' t have Shivering Isles or other DLC except Knight of the Nine.

Couple that with the lack of achievements etc and you have what' s arguable an inferior game overall. But the good thing about the game being released on PS3 is that more people will be able to experience such an awesome game.
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: Oblivion - Mar 26, 2007 03:44
I keep forgetting about the achievments. I wonder when they' re officially announcing their " entitlements" , or whatever the heck they' re calling them now.
Dagashi

RE: Oblivion - Mar 26, 2007 04:29
Do achievements do anything? Or is it just something that shows up on your XBL account? If so, then sure its a cool feature, but I could never knock a games review down because of it.

Yah, the lighting isn' t as good outside as the xbox, but indoors I think its better.

Both are good games, and I can' t see the ps3 not having shivering isles soon. Honestly, I think it comes down to what controller you prefer for it as much as anything now.

It should be noted that while the PS3 game runs slightly smoother, having a [sightly] better framerate, it also has no AA and no true HDR lighting

So does the ps3 GPU not actually support HDR and AA? There was so much false info being spread back when I tried to figure out that I just stopped bothering and haven' t checked lately.
mastachefbkw

• Total Posts : 3793
RE: Oblivion - Mar 26, 2007 04:43

The 360 update is out and adds the new shader effects that were created after the PC/360 versions shipped. Textures look sharper, blend together better, pop-up is reduced, improved draw distance, improved loading etc.

YES!!! now im going to go play oblibion!!! (Not really)

Do achievements do anything? Or is it just something that shows up on your XBL account?

It just shows how much stuff you have completed in a game. It doesnt really do anything, but it does make you more determined to beat a game (oblivion for instance)

Both are good games

Haha, IMO they both suck

Nitro

RE: Oblivion - Mar 26, 2007 06:36

ORIGINAL: Dagashi

It should be noted that while the PS3 game runs slightly smoother, having a [sightly] better framerate, it also has no AA and no true HDR lighting

So does the ps3 GPU not actually support HDR and AA? There was so much false info being spread back when I tried to figure out that I just stopped bothering and haven' t checked lately.

When using [regular] HDR it has to run in FP16 and the architecture doesn' t support AA on FP16 surfaces. 360 doesn' t have that problem because of the 10MB eDRAM which gives " free" AA with zero performance hit.

For the PS3 version of Oblivion i suspect they' re using NAO32 to achieve a different variant of HDR, one that' s not quite as apparent but actually comes off as being more natural looking. It' s not considered " real" HDR though as it' s unable to store the amount of colour data and has a limited luminance range compared to the variant 360 uses.

The game does have AA, it' s just that it appears to be 2x rather than the 360 versions 4x. The difference is negligible in Oblivion though as it' s hardly the most technically proficient title.

It should be noted that other PS3 games have suffered in the lighting department because of RSX' s limitations though. Resistance has MSAA applied but is really weak in the lighting/shadowing department, and MotorStorm does have some really gorgeous HDR but lacks much in the way of AA. MotorStorm has 2x AA, and it' s noticeable when crashing and theres a lot of dust and smoke. The character model has that shiny/clear layer that' s normally invisible.

2nd generation titles will fare better though as more workarounds and alternative solutions become available.

And yeah, Shivering Isles will most probably be made available on PS3 in the near future too. It wouldn' t make sense not to. The only reason it' s not in there yet is because it wouldn' t make sense for it to be. I' m not that interested in it though, ...i haven' t played Oblivion for a while, ...or at least not properly.

I want to check out the PS3 version though. The 360 version' s framerate is still fare from perfect and it' s loads while improved after the update are still a little on the long side outdoors.
< Message edited by NITRO -- 26 Mar 07 0:12:33 >
Dagashi

RE: Oblivion - Mar 26, 2007 07:28
Thanks for the info, very much appreciated. I certainly hope they get a better hold on how to dev for the ps3, because it is true that some of the colors looked washed out compared to the 360. Thats said, the 360 also appears too dark some of the time in many of the games.

I want to check out the PS3 version though. The 360 version' s framerate is still fare from perfect and it' s loads while improved after the update are still a little on the long side outdoors.

I haven' t played the 360 version for 6 months or so, and didn' t really play it then, mostly just watched my room-mate play it. What I can tell you though, is that ps3 load times outdoors are 3 seconds maximum, and are 1 second a lot of the time. It usually just appears as a slight judder while moving. The short load times and steady FPS has really made me enjoy the game alot more than I did on PC. They did a good job on the control layout too.

I agree with you as far as the Shivering Isles is concerned. There is little point in releasing it now. Better to let the initial hype and announcement of Oblivion being released for ps3 wear out before announcing the expansion.

Boss Hogg

• Total Posts : 299
RE: Oblivion - Mar 26, 2007 09:46
Fuck PS3
Dagashi

RE: Oblivion - Mar 26, 2007 09:53

Fuck PS3

Ok, thanks for your addition. Come again, but next time, do a rap freestyle all Def Jam style.
mastachefbkw

• Total Posts : 3793
RE: Oblivion - Mar 26, 2007 11:40

Fuck PS3

He' s an evilman in the making
Dagashi

RE: Oblivion - Mar 26, 2007 12:28

He' s an evilman in the making

Evilman actually has a bit of truth to back up what he says some of the time though. What this kid said is completely ignorant. I would say he is more of a mentally challenged version of Evil Man.
< Message edited by Dagashi -- 26 Mar 07 4:28:57 >
fernandino

• Total Posts : 661
RE: Oblivion - Mar 26, 2007 16:37

ORIGINAL: Dagashi

Ok, thanks for your addition. Come again, but next time, do a rap freestyle all Def Jam style.

The best way to deal with that kind of posts is to ignore them
Dagashi

RE: Oblivion - Mar 26, 2007 17:45

I don' t mind stupid posts like that much, as long as they are interesting. Thats why I want his next rant/flame to rhyme. Maybe he could do a " fuck ps3" rendition of a 50 cent song, or some other guy from Def Jam since he seems to love that game.
Nitro

RE: Oblivion - Mar 26, 2007 17:57
Hogg = nub
Nitro

RE: Oblivion - Mar 26, 2007 21:14
I just want to dash back to the point i made yesterday about PS3 and it' s AA + HDR issues...

...i want to just note that Gears of War doesn' t use AA whatsoever because UE3 uses deferred rendering for shadowing and the engine doesn' t support them both simultaneously. Instead UE3 games on 360 (Gears and Vegas) use a per-edge blur effect that gives the impression of minor aliasing (2x at most).

But, both Gears and Vegas look amazing...

...so a lack of AA doesn' t necessarily mean the game will look bad, ...it depends on the engine and the developers abilities.

The engine used for GRAW/2 does seem to support both full deferred lighting and AA though. I' ve been really impressed with their engine so far.
< Message edited by NITRO -- 26 Mar 07 13:18:07 >
immortaldanmx

• Total Posts : 2966
RE: Oblivion - Mar 27, 2007 05:25

We tried that with F3 and Evil and it didnt work
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: Oblivion - Mar 27, 2007 05:56
I was partially wrong if the 360 version will add updated graphics.
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 22

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message