Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Most underhyped videogames this gen...
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 21
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
Most underhyped videogames this gen... - Jul 09, 2009 15:22
My nomination is Midnight Club: LA (10 HD videos available at the link)

It's a superior use of Rockstars RAGE engine to GTA IV (seriously, if GTA ICV looked or was as polished as MCLA if would be a far far better game than it already is) and didn't get anywhere near the amount of publicity or marketing focus as it should have done. It's better than any of the NFS games, better than any of the Burnout games, and it looks better than PGR4. If you like racing games, you'd be doiung yourself a great dis-service by ignoring it.

But Midnight Club aside, which other games this gen haven't garnered the kind of attention they deserve?
Edwin

• Total Posts : 658
Re:Most underhyped videogames this gen... - Jul 09, 2009 15:30
I'd second the MCLA mention. Also - Bionic Commando, Demon Souls and (depending which side of the Pacific you're on) Monster Hunter Freedom 2.

I'm aware we/I said we'd do some kind of underhype feature based on forum feedback a few months ago, as a foil to the won't-be-worth-the-hype piece. It hasn't materialised yet because I'm a ****, though in fairness I'm also a rather busy ****.
Edwin

Re:Most underhyped videogames this gen... - Jul 09, 2009 15:33
That fucking swear filter is one random sonofabitch.
_Majik_

• Total Posts : 198
Re:Most underhyped videogames this gen... - Jul 09, 2009 15:41
Monster Hunter Freedom 2 (and mopre so Unite) is kickass. Not exactly tailored for a western audience but a must for any PSP owner. There's actually a demo avaqilablefor Moinster Hunter Fredom Unite so i'd urge PSP ownere sto check that out.

Virtua fighter 5

• Total Posts : 1327
Re:Most underhyped videogames this gen... - Jul 09, 2009 16:23
Good quality, even in non-hd mode..Got the quality of  them videos spot on.

As for underhyped?  i cant think of one.. but overhyped, i have a long, long list.

Edwin

Re:Most underhyped videogames this gen... - Jul 09, 2009 17:10
You reckon the third MH will end up on the PSP, Majik/Nitro?
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
Re:Most underhyped videogames this gen... - Jul 09, 2009 19:27
I hope so. The 3 existing PSP games are all great, but the Wii game looks spectacular.
choupolo

• Total Posts : 1773
Re:Most underhyped videogames this gen... - Jul 09, 2009 20:20
Race Pro - I play this almost every night online.  Much fun with the right crowd. 

Anyone here played Afro Samurai the game?  Was watching the feature length Afro Samurai Resurrection the other day which had a little extra on the game, and it actually looked like fun chopping enemies into gibs.  Might go rent it tonight.

I dont know why I never checked out MCLA.  I played MC2 to death on PS2, but DUB edition on PS2 was fugly and kinda put me off, plus I didn't fancy grinding through long races again just to get cars.  I reckon that gameplay model has become outdated now, it was fun back when Gran Turismo first came out, but now car collecting can seem like a chore if the racing gets samey after a while.

Dodge, dodge, boost, customise and repeat.  That drone of bad engine noise modelling makes me fall asleep.

Great videos as always though.
<message edited by choupolo on Jul 09, 2009 20:22>
emofag

• Total Posts : 1508
Re:Most underhyped videogames this gen... - Jul 09, 2009 20:51
That looks good, didn't even know they had released that already, I played midnight club online last gen alot.

For underhyped I would say BlazBlu, great fighting game that very few people seem to have gotten.
<message edited by emofag on Jul 09, 2009 20:52>
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
Re:Most underhyped videogames this gen... - Jul 09, 2009 21:12
rockdude69 wants to say Halo 3 but he forgot his password.
Iad umboros

• Total Posts : 750
Re:Most underhyped videogames this gen... - Jul 09, 2009 22:06
Earth Defence Force 2017 & Valkyria Chronicles

Bit cheeky counting Demon's Souls Edwin, seeing as it hasn't been released here ;)  Might import that at some point.
emofag

• Total Posts : 1508
Re:Most underhyped videogames this gen... - Jul 10, 2009 15:35
locopuyo

I want to say Halo 3 on my rockdude69 account but I forgot my password and am too fucking stupid to do a password recovery via email.

Fixed.
Edwin

Re:Most underhyped videogames this gen... - Jul 10, 2009 15:48
Iad umboros

Earth Defence Force 2017 & Valkyria Chronicles

Bit cheeky counting Demon's Souls Edwin, seeing as it hasn't been released here ;)  Might import that at some point.

Well if there were more bloody hype maybe it would get released here. Come on, make some noise!

canadagamer

• Total Posts : 965
Re:Most underhyped videogames this gen... - Jul 10, 2009 16:21
Afro Samurai.

A gorgeous cell shaded game that really makes you feel as though you are put right into Afro Samurai Anime. Superb voice acting from Sam L which enhanced a very well done story. Controls were very responsive, and the slicing mechanic along with body part poker worked perfectly,  but the camera turned out to be an obsticle at times.

I have another game that I don't know if it was underhyped, but rather turned out to be better than I had hoped would be UFC 2009 Undisputed. THQ did a wonderful job capturing the sport for what it is, and delivered an awesome experience. I haven't played online with it yet, so I can't comment on that part of the game, but the career mode is outstanding. I just need to find out how to beat Frank Mir. :(

Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
Re:Most underhyped videogames this gen... - Jul 11, 2009 03:03
I download the demo for freedom unite and it was ugly and played like a MMO, in other words, boring. I might give it another go just to see..

I cant really comment on games that are underhyped this gen, but I always thought Heavenly Sword was a great game even though all the criticism really hurt people's opinion of it. Maybe I'm just a sucker for well done cutscenes and great graphics or maybe I just love real story/adventure single player games more than online shooters.  

gotta say that it had the best use of the sixaxis in any ps3 game to date too, it was used for the flight of arrows and really worked, only flower and flow and some other handful of dlc games really used the sixaxis right... I'm glad dev's arent tacking it on anymore into games unlike the first generation of ps3 titles.
Iad umboros

• Total Posts : 750
Re:Most underhyped videogames this gen... - Jul 12, 2009 13:13
Silentbomber

I download the demo for freedom unite and it was ugly and played like a MMO, in other words, boring. I might give it another go just to see..

I cant really comment on games that are underhyped this gen, but I always thought Heavenly Sword was a great game even though all the criticism really hurt people's opinion of it. Maybe I'm just a sucker for well done cutscenes and great graphics or maybe I just love real story/adventure single player games more than online shooters.  

gotta say that it had the best use of the sixaxis in any ps3 game to date too, it was used for the flight of arrows and really worked, only flower and flow and some other handful of dlc games really used the sixaxis right... I'm glad dev's arent tacking it on anymore into games unlike the first generation of ps3 titles.

Cut scene acting in Heavenly Sword was superb, I had it recommended to me because of that.  I liked the combat system too, but I did get bored of the game.  Never finished it, I preferred DMC4 and Ninja Gaiden 2 in the end.

Agree with you about the SIXAXIS controls, Lair was the only other game that used it and it suffered. My PS3 controllers feel like Kinder egg toys compared to the 360 controller but I don't want to shell out another 35 quid for rumble when I have 2 controllers already.
Edwin

Re:Most underhyped videogames this gen... - Jul 12, 2009 14:52
I think it's a crying shame that Ninja Theory didn't get a second shot at Heavenly Sword. The cut scenes are, as you say, among the best ever produced, and Bohan is a fantastically over-played villain.

I still have no idea how they got Steven Berkoff involved with the project. Guess Andy Serkis called in a favour.
mastachefbkw

• Total Posts : 3793
Re:Most underhyped videogames this gen... - Jul 12, 2009 22:38

I just need to find out how to beat Frank Mir. :(
Apparently you can just ask Brock Lesnar. lol

Demonoroth

• Total Posts : 359
Re:Most underhyped videogames this gen... - Jul 14, 2009 11:22
I'd have to say Valkyria Chronicles.

It's a good looking and fun game with a good story but not that many people actually picked it up.
Not much of a surprise though. Sega's own fault the only place I saw some advertising for it was IGN for a little while and that's it. Hardly anyone talked about it on forums as well.

Though the game might pick up a bit more sales now that they've made an anime series from the game.
Elda Taluda

• Total Posts : 13
Re:Most underhyped videogames this gen... - Jul 18, 2009 22:45
Valkyria Chronicles gets my vote as well.

I've tried so hard to get anyone I know that owns a PS3 to give it a chance but nooooooo... Ugh.

Also, I love how I'm getting repayed for my loyalty to this franchise with Sega moving it's sequel to the PSP. I can only hope it'll sell better as a handheld game, so I can see a true-blue sequel on it's original platform...

Now who wants to send me a PSP so I don't have to buy one?? haha
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 21

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread