Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 I Just Fixed A Ring-of-Death 360...
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
I Just Fixed A Ring-of-Death 360... - May 21, 2007 04:44
By killing it again with a towel.

Yeah, I know what it sounds like, but I swear to god I' ve got two working 360' s in my bedroom right now, one' s my modded one, and the other one I' m letting sit on, seeing if it dies again. This all started last week when I got a broken 360 to tinker with, I took it home, and looked up some of the circumstances that the 360' s died under. All were incredibly hot at the time, which I already knew, as it was a problem with the solder, but I was trying to see if anybody had gotten theirs working again.

I was on a backwater personal Pro-Boards page siphoning through the blog crap this guy had on the page, and about half way down he mentioned ressurecting a dead 360 using nothing but a towel. It involved wrapping the 360 in a towel, and letting it overheat, again. So apparently if you got it to heat up enough, the solder reconnects the GPU & CPU to the motherboard (which is what causes 99% of the RROD issues) and you' ve got a fixed 360. Sometimes permanently, sometimes temporarily.

I figured since I didn' t have the proper bit to open up my 360 beyond the case I' d give this a shot. I wrapped it in a towel, turned it on, and left to go do some yardwork. I got back later that evening, and it was still on. I killed the power, let it sit for 45 minutes, powered it up and got green lights! I' ll post proof in a bit, but I figured this was interesting enough to warrant a discussion. Hopefully one of you has an out-of-warranty 360 that this could help with.

Crazy yeah?
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: I Just Fixed A Ring-of-Death 360... - May 21, 2007 05:29
Your nuts.
Eddie_the_Hated

RE: I Just Fixed A Ring-of-Death 360... - May 21, 2007 05:43

Or am I? The one on the left (I painted it this morning) was the one I was playing the Beta on yesterday.

Mass X

• Total Posts : 4491
RE: I Just Fixed A Ring-of-Death 360... - May 21, 2007 06:00
I see you also have a PS4.
emusa

• Total Posts : 21
RE: I Just Fixed A Ring-of-Death 360... - May 21, 2007 06:16
M B

• Total Posts : 202
RE: I Just Fixed A Ring-of-Death 360... - May 21, 2007 07:16
lol, that' s awesome. But you probably shouldn' t keep your 360' s next to that PS4. The extra heat emitting from it is probably bad.
Zoy

• Total Posts : 1703
RE: I Just Fixed A Ring-of-Death 360... - May 21, 2007 10:28
I' ve read about people using this technique, too. It sounded like a joke to me at first, but I' ve heard it from several different sources.
Eddie_the_Hated

RE: I Just Fixed A Ring-of-Death 360... - May 23, 2007 09:09
I got a call from the friend who I gave it to, & he hasn' t had any trouble with it thusfar. Here' s hoping it lasts.

The PS4 isn' t hot at all by the way, it uses liquid cooling in the form of stale coffee to keep it room temperature.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll