Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Akira - live action American remake
choupolo

• Total Posts : 1773
Akira - live action American remake - Jan 13, 2009 06:41
Ok so this is from Feb last year, but I just found out and I'm scared!

http://www.firstshowing.net/2008/02/20/its-official-live-action-akira-confirmed-already-for-2009/

The original anime and and manga was set in Tokyo, but reports are saying this version will take place in "New Manhattan", a metropolis that was rebuilt after being destroyed 31 years ago. This isn't fully confirmed and we're doing our best to see if this is actually the case.

Also

immortaldanmx

• Total Posts : 2966
Re:Akira - live action American remake - Jan 13, 2009 07:53
Seriously, isnt America over all the japanese garbage that keeps getting piled up here? Are there people other than fat basement dwellers that still care about manga, anime, and other weaboo crap?

Akira was mildly entertaining. Then again, I was like 12. So I put this in the same catagory I put everything that I thought was mildly entertaining when I was 12: DO NOT WANT; GREW THE FUCK UP.

Edit: As for the DBZ movie, Im pirating it just to see James Marsters' performance.
nekkid_monkey

• Total Posts : 818
Re:Akira - live action American remake - Jan 13, 2009 09:41
The Dragonball movie has no chance of any merit whatsoever.

Akira...depends on what they do with it. Could be great, or could be shitty. At least they aren't trying to make a frame-by-frame remake, that would be retarded.

I'm far more interested in the Ninja Scroll movie though.
choupolo

Re:Akira - live action American remake - Jan 13, 2009 10:00
Who's James Marsters?  Oh the guy from Buffy.  Let me know if the DBZ movie is as good as Bulletproof Monk, heh.

Akira - Bike Scene

Akira - american version
<message edited by choupolo on Jan 13, 2009 10:05>
immortaldanmx

Re:Akira - live action American remake - Jan 13, 2009 10:35
Well, yes, Buffy. Among other things. I particularly liked him in Shadow Puppets.

And the "American Version" that you posted makes me want to go to Canada, climb in a tree, and freeze to death.
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
Re:Akira - live action American remake - Jan 13, 2009 12:04

And the "American Version" that you posted makes me want to go to Canada, climb in a tree, and freeze to death.

Oh you don't actually need to clime a tree to freeze to death here.  Just walk outside with your boxers and you'll be gone in 10-15 minutes.  You probably wouldn't even make it up the fucking tree.

The Dragon Ball movie looks so bad, I almost feel like going to see it just for the lulz. 
choupolo

Re:Akira - live action American remake - Jan 13, 2009 12:58

Just watched Ninja Scrolls on youtube after you mentioned it nekkid.  I'd only ever seen the first 10 minutes on TV ages ago and had to flip channels since I was watching at my parents place - the sex and violence just wasn't really family viewing!

Was good, though I don't see how that would work as live action either.  Too many people being chopped in half. :P
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
Re:Akira - live action American remake - Jan 13, 2009 13:11
I was one of the few anime fans that didn't like Akira, which pretty much made me a pariah in the eyes of other anime fans. ;D
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
Re:Akira - live action American remake - Jan 13, 2009 23:53

Oh you don't actually need to clime a tree to freeze to death here.  Just walk outside with your boxers and you'll be gone in 10-15 minutes.  You probably wouldn't even make it up the fucking tree.

What's your floating temp right now Ghost? On a good day we're floating between five to seven above. I was in love today, we hit 29 [just above freezing, for the metric world] in the afternoon, and I was out parading about in shorts and a tee.
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
Re:Akira - live action American remake - Jan 14, 2009 00:38
lucky, it was below 0 F the whole day here.
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
Re:Akira - live action American remake - Jan 14, 2009 00:40
Float temperatures?  It's useless to talk about our temps like this as they move like a yoyo.

This time of the year is typically between -15C (5F) and -40C (-40F), closer to -25C .  Jan and Feb are the coldest.  Canadian climate is becoming increasingly less consistent though.  Last year was the worst (coldest) i can remember, we had like three months of -30C and below, almost everyday.  Our summer was shit, it's as if we went from Spring to Fall.  It just rained the whole time.  Snow in the winter, rain anytime else.  We get almost 1000mm of precipitation every year. :(

This year is mild by comparison.  Much less snow and only a few really cold days peppered between what i consider mild days.  It changes on a dime though.  Today was what -10, tomorrow -30 C. 

Last year we were freezing our asses off in November, this year it's mid Jan and it's only starting to get cold.    

I'm comfortable between 95F and 5F (assuming low wind and humidity), anything warmer is too hot, and anything colder becomes too cold.  I can handle the type of heat here more than the cold.  I don't think anyone would prefer -40F over 100F. -20F is where it gets fucking cold, on rare occassions it can get -50F with wind shield. 

<message edited by Agent Ghost on Jan 14, 2009 02:11>
choupolo

Re:Akira - live action American remake - Jan 14, 2009 01:39
Gosh, how dyu stop yourself from becoming a meat popsickle every time you just want to go out and get something from the shops?  Coldest I've ever experienced is probably ~-10C and about a foot of snow.  Anything below freezing and the whole country comes to a standstill.

Hottest would be ~50C when I visited Saudi, felt like I was literally being cooked.  Global warming has actually worked out well for the UK, with some idyllic summers ~20-25C most days.  Its around 0C now though. As long as its dry though it can feel quite pleasant/fresh. 

Terry - you are a heretic and shall be treated as such!  And thus you shall be subject to 20 hours of non-stop Pokemon with your eyelids forced open with toothpicks. :P
the_shadowwolf

• Total Posts : 675
Re:Akira - live action American remake - Jan 16, 2009 00:37
DragonBall is going to be garbage in the making.

Fuck awful trailer, fuck awful synopsis and who are those characters again...they surely do not look like anything near to their manga and Tv series counterpart.
Live action piece of garbage. Wouldn't waste my time at all.

As for Akira. Fuck amazing anime for its time. Beautiful!
Remaking this as a live action movie...wtf Bullshit!
Again, it will not live up to its anime counterpart. Some things should be left alone and be remembered as great.
immortaldanmx

Re:Akira - live action American remake - Jan 16, 2009 03:13
the_shadowwolf

DragonBall is going to be garbage in the making.

Fuck awful trailer, fuck awful synopsis and who are those characters again...they surely do not look like anything near to their manga and Tv series counterpart.
Live action piece of garbage. Wouldn't waste my time at all.

As for Akira. Fuck amazing anime for its time. Beautiful!
Remaking this as a live action movie...wtf Bullshit!
Again, it will not live up to its anime counterpart. Some things should be left alone and be remembered as great.

Wont live up to the Anime version? Damn, how bad do you have to be to not top something made for preteens.
Johnny Jiron

• Total Posts : 434
Re:Akira - live action American remake - Jan 16, 2009 03:15
I'm not so worried about Akira. At least they will be going off the graphic novel and expanding it into two movies. Meaning they won't have to cut too much out. They will have to americanize it just a bit, hopefully not the story it self but just locales and what not.

http://www.firstshowing.net/2008/11/10/leonardo-dicaprio-wont-star-in-either-akira-or-ninja-scroll/

They better ensure its very much rated R, that would be my only concern.

James Cameron will be releasing Avatar which should hint at the style of Battle Angel later on:

In June 2005, director Cameron was announced to be working on a project tentatively titled "Project 880" (now known to be Avatar) in parallel with another project, Battle Angel.[19] Both movies were to be shot in 3D. By December, Cameron stated that he wanted to film Battle Angel first, followed byAvatar. However in February 2006, he switched goals for the two film projects and decided to film Avatar first. He mentioned that if both films are successful, he would be interested in seeing a trilogy being made for both.[15]
Avatar, previously known as Project 880, has an estimated budget of $200 million, is a 3D film currently set for a December 182009 release, and will mark his first feature film since 1997's Titanic.[20] It will be composed almost entirely of computer-generated animation, using a more advanced version of the "performance capture" technique used by director Robert Zemeckis in The Polar Express.[21] James Cameron wrote an 80 page scriptment for Avatar in 1995[22] and announced in 1996 that he would make the film after completing Titanic. In December 2006, Cameron explained that the delay in producing the film since the 1990s had been to wait until the technology necessary to create his project was advanced enough. The director is planning to create photo-realistic computer-generated characters through motion capture animation technology using his new virtual camera system.[23] The film was originally scheduled to be released in May 2009 but was pushed back to December 2009 to allow more time for post production on the complex photorealistic CGI and to give more time for theatres worldwide to install 3D projectors.[24]
James Cameron will also be writing, producing and directing Battle Angel, a live-action adaptation of the first three volumes of the manga series. Alita will be a CG character performed by an actress. Like Avatar, the film will be a mix of CG and live action. Filming will be made with the new digital 3D system Cameron has developed for Avatar. In January 2005, Cameron mentioned that the delay in making this film initially had been to wait until a sufficient number of theatres had installed 3D projectors. Pre-production on this film has been occurring since at least 2004-05. As with Avatar, the movie will be marketed and distributed by 20th Century Fox worldwide. Cameron is aiming for a PG-13 rating.[25] Laeta Kalogridis wrote the original script but Cameron is re-writing the script.[26]

Guess its a dandy time to be an anime fan eh? A nice transition from the year of Comic Book movies at the very least.

Chee Saw

• Total Posts : 1466
Re:Akira - live action American remake - Jan 18, 2009 18:41
choupolo

Who's James Marsters?  Oh the guy from Buffy.  Let me know if the DBZ movie is as good as Bulletproof Monk, heh.

Akira - Bike Scene

Akira - american version

LOL!  That was awesome!
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
Re:Akira - live action American remake - Jan 18, 2009 19:44
choupolo

Terry - you are a heretic and shall be treated as such!  And thus you shall be subject to 20 hours of non-stop Pokemon with your eyelids forced open with toothpicks. :P

Lol. I watched Akira when I was young and struggled to remain awake throughout the film. There's no denying that Akira was gorgeous on a technical level, but I just couldn't connect with the movie and at the time thought it was a "boring piece of trash" :P.   *runs for his life*

Now that I'm older and kinda, sorta wiser, perhaps I should try rewatching Akira to see if my feelings have changed. Though, I tried rewatching Dark City about three times and all three times I kept falling asleep towards the middle of the movie, so it's highly likely that I'll still hate Akira much the same. ;)

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll