Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 PSP to PS3 Technical Demonstration (IGN)
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
PSP to PS3 Technical Demonstration (IGN) - Sep 25, 2006 23:24
Kickass IGN article on

September 23, 2006 - For those who like their baffling confusion slathered on like cake frosting on a Jello pie, Sony Computer Entertainment has been serving up the ' Huh' s in heaping portions here at TGS. First there was the keynote meeting about PlayStation that was 95% about curing Alzheimer' s than it was about playing games. (By the by, if the people at Microsoft manage to make a commercial out of senile old people enjoying the heck out of 360, I' m going to have to give massive props to all of their balls.) Then there was the Nothing that followed, with seven weeks to go before this system needs to be in shopping baskets and yet no answers to critical launch questions. There were the clearly accessible PS3 features available on the menu that we weren' t allowed to touch (hell, any one of us journalists were probably a button press away from revealing Sony' s Xbox Live killer before Sony did). This year' s IGN TGS team is going to come back home looking like linebackers with all the shoulder shrugging we' ve been doing.

Here' s another one for the file: Sony' s Technical Demo of connecting a PSP to a PS3. For those who don' t like it when their heads explode, please stop reading after the following explanation: The PS3 to PSP Technical Demo showed that the console is able to transfer downloaded demos (including PS1 game downloads as well as PSP samplers) to the portable. One demo was a downloaded copy of the PS1 game Ridge Racer, the other a Loco Roco demo. Simple enough in concept, and we' re eager for it.

Now, it' s head e' sploding time.

The way Sony conducted this " Technical Demo" was that it showed a Playstation 3 on one side of the demo kiosk and then a PSP on the other side, with a pretty model girl pointing from one system to the other and gesturing as if to say, " See?" The interface to accomplish this was not shown. In fact, we' re not even sure if this interface is ready yet. If there even is an interface, of course, which there doesn' t need to be since all you' d need to do this is a web browser to download the demo and then a PSP on a USB cord or a PSP-compatible Memory Stick Duo to store the demo.

I know what you' re thinking: It' d be simple enough if you stopped thinking it through, to just accept that Sony probably set up this show kiosk as an example of this demo transaction happening. But the gesturing ... And the signs clearly stating that the playing PSP game came from that nearby PS3 ... the thought vortex will grab you now. Why set up a kiosk if you' re not showing anything actually happening? Why set up two kiosks to show the same thing not happening? Did they transfer the PSP demos at home and then bring them to the show? Did they use a wire, or was it a wireless transfer, or did they use telekinesis? Did it really actually ever happen, or did I just imagine that Sony set up a booth on the TGS show floor to show me something that I had already missed happening?

Representatives from Sony were not able to further explain the demo, but below is a close-to-accurate transcription of a conversation that IGN had with the delightful SCE Booth Babe model demonstrating the PS3 to PSP Technical Demonstration:

IGN: " So, so the point here is that this demo running on this PSP was downloaded from this PS3 here, right?"
Booth Babe: " " HAI! YES!"
IGN: " OK cool, I' ve been wondering when they were going to get busy connecting up PSP and the consoles. Let' s see it"
Booth Babe: " OK, here you are!" [Hands me PSP running PS one version of Ridge Racer.]
IGN: " I' m sorry, I meant I' d like to see the demo please."
Booth Babe: " Yes, please play!"
IGN: " What?"
Booth Babe: " You can press boo' ton for gas, and..."
IGN: " No."
Booth Babe: " Hai!"
IGN: " No, I' ve already played Ridge Racer for PS one already. On a PS one. And the PSP last year at E3 for that matter, but never mind that, I' d like to see the demonstration."
Booth Babe: " Ummm ... We have Ridge Racer and Loco Roco!"
IGN: " They' re already downloaded on the PSPs, though. Can you reset, I' d like to see the interface."
Booth Babe: " Ah, it' s not ready yet!"
IGN: " W.T.F. [*edited for language*] I' m sorry, excuse my language, but ... or, do you understand what ... never mind, are you telling me you can' t actually show me the PSP downloading a demo from the PS3."
Booth Babe: " You can play it here!"
IGN: " Yeah, but the whole point of the demo is that this game came from that big machine to run on this little machine."
Booth Babe: " Um ... Technical Demo for PlayStation 3 and PSP!"
IGN: " But do you understand that it' s not really a demo if you don' t demonstrate anything."
Booth Babe: " I' m sorry."
IGN: " No, I shouldn' t be getting mad at you, it' s not like you made the demo. Can I please maybe try to find the interface since I know both machines?"
Booth Babe: " Oh, only PSP is playable, please."
IGN: " You know that this is a six hundred dollar machine sitting here, right? $600. This Sony, they spent 600 dollars to build a machine to convince me ... no, make that make me convince myself on the principle that there' d be no reason for Sony to lie about the world' s most powerful gaming platform being capable of moving a game demo file onto a PSP."
Booth Babe: [smiles, cocks head in confusion, and tries to deflate my misdirected rage with her femininity.]
IGN: " And your boss, he told you to make wave motions with your hands, gesturing from the PS3 to the PSP, and call it a technical demonstration?"
Booth Babe: " Hai! Ah, yes!"
IGN: " And other people have passed by here for two days now without questioning this?"
Booth Babe: " Hai!"
IGN: " ...Please marry me anyway."

Look for more on this PS3 to PSP feature at a later date soon, once we' ve been able to take a look at the feature happening rather than happened. We apologize now to your brain.

Original Article

I just though the article was amusing.
Rampage99

• Total Posts : 3161
RE: PSP to PS3 Technical Demonstration (IGN) - Sep 26, 2006 00:04
Hahahaha!
OneWingedAngel

• Total Posts : 142
RE: PSP to PS3 Technical Demonstration (IGN) - Sep 26, 2006 01:39
LOL!
Gaius IV

• Total Posts : 139
RE: PSP to PS3 Technical Demonstration (IGN) - Sep 26, 2006 02:11
Pure comdey! that was great!
Nitro

RE: PSP to PS3 Technical Demonstration (IGN) - Sep 26, 2006 02:36
Okay, it' ll obviously work no problem, just like game sharing on PSP, so that' s a non-issue. I just thought it was funny and obviously i' m not alone.

I do have some questions to raise though:

1) What PSone game spanned the most discs, FFVII???

2} What kind of compression methods could be used to compress the data to fit on an SD card?!

3) What game' s are you most looking forward to re-playing on your PSP???
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: PSP to PS3 Technical Demonstration (IGN) - Sep 26, 2006 02:38
1.FF8 and FF9

2.don' t know

3.I don' t have a PSP but i got Test drive unlimited today.

A good beautiful and huge racing game but thats about it.
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: PSP to PS3 Technical Demonstration (IGN) - Sep 26, 2006 02:42
I have a question!
The text in PSone games were adapted to regular TV-screens.
Won' t the in-game text be so small on the PSP screen that it can' t be read?
Also, won' t people who bought PS1 ports of some games be pretty pissed when they can emulate the PSone games for (presumably) less money?
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: PSP to PS3 Technical Demonstration (IGN) - Sep 26, 2006 02:43
Ginj smart people emulate over their PC.

ofc i know what you think,yeah but i can' t bring my pc with me like a psp.

So then i pull out my gun and i cap some biatches
Gaius IV

RE: PSP to PS3 Technical Demonstration (IGN) - Sep 26, 2006 02:50
I may have to buy a psp once again. I sold it cause I hadn' t played it for 3 months and bought a DS instead which I constantly play!
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: PSP to PS3 Technical Demonstration (IGN) - Sep 26, 2006 02:54
I can' t stop playing Tekken Dark Resurrection for the PSP!!!!!
No DS game in the world can stop me from playing Tekken DR!!!!!
I just love fighting games and after Street Fighter Alpha 3 Max and Tekken I really love my PSP for real!!!!!
I' m just waiting for Guilty Gear to be released.
A PSP version of Soul Calibur and especially Virtua Fighter would make the PSP the ultimate portable ever created!!!!!
What are the chances of a PSP version of Virtua Fighter? It' s kinda low isn' t it? Adam?
< Message edited by ginjirou -- 25 Sep 06 18:55:06 >
Gaius IV

RE: PSP to PS3 Technical Demonstration (IGN) - Sep 26, 2006 04:42

A PSP version of Soul Calibur and especially Virtua Fighter would make the PSP the ultimate portable ever created!!!!!

For you sure, but I doubt it' ll make the psp outsell the DS. I usually play my fighting games on consoles or arcades, I really can' t play fighting games on the psp.
Nitro

RE: PSP to PS3 Technical Demonstration (IGN) - Sep 26, 2006 05:12
Well, we might not get VF on PSP, but PSone itself had some good fighting games...

Bloory Roar
Bloody Roar: The New Breed
Wu-Tang: Shaolin Style
Guilty Gear
Bushido Blade
Bushido Blade 2
Tekken
Tekken 2
Tekken 3
Dead or Alive
Mortal Kombat 4
Street Fighter EX Plus Alpha
Soul Blade
Samurai Showdown III: Blades of Blood

Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: PSP to PS3 Technical Demonstration (IGN) - Sep 26, 2006 11:03

Ginj smart people emulate over their PC

No, evil people emulate over their PC' s. Satan steals souls with Bit-Torrent.

That' s pretty funny. Poor booth babe, I can' t imagine trying to admit to the kinks in corporate electronics, no less in a second language. Seriously though, if I do get a psp, the first game I' m uploading is Crash Bandicoot: Warped, I was addicted to that game.

Ew, it' s that sleep thing, I hate it, but it calls me anyways.
< Message edited by Eddie_the_Hated -- 26 Sep 06 3:09:09 >

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message