Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Day After Tomorrow...Good or Bad?
DaRoosh65

• Total Posts : 1968
Day After Tomorrow...Good or Bad? - Oct 11, 2004 23:00
With the recent news about the DVD release, I was wondering if this movie was good or bad?

Looks good...but that doesn' t always mean anything.

Your thoughts and impressions would be greatly appreciated...
Mass X

• Total Posts : 4491
RE: Day After Tomorrow...Good or Bad? - Oct 14, 2004 02:56
I just bought the DVD today (no reaosn really, I havent seen it before im just a compulsive movie collector), neways I' ll probably watch it before this weekend and give the news on the movie and its special features.
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: Day After Tomorrow...Good or Bad? - Oct 14, 2004 10:13
I REALLY liked this movie. I saw it in the Theatre when it first came out and bought the DVD on Tuesday and watched it three times that night.

I consider the movie DEEP IMPACT to have the GREATEST special effect I' ve ever seen - the ENORMOUS tidal wave destroying the city...

I find the flooding of the city in The Day After Tomorrow to be Quite impressive as well and an almost perfect compliment to the tidal wave scene in Deep Impact.

I REALLY Love movies like this in which Mother Nature shows that she can be a REAL b!tch sometimes
< Message edited by Terry Bogard -- 10/14/2004 10:14:48 AM >
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: Day After Tomorrow...Good or Bad? - Oct 16, 2004 00:31
This movie stars Toby McGuire/Jake Gyllenhaal (same person) and Dennis Quaid as well as a few other morons. I was forced to watch this DVD last night, and it is an awful movie! I was hoping everyone would die quickly so the movie would just end. But nooooooo.....

Probable Spoilers:
First of all, the CGI in this movie was unwiped-ass qaulity. They definitely farmed a lot of the effects work out to the lowest bidder. The people who did the tornadoes (probably an effects house in India) have obviously never seen a tornado before. The fact is that The Wizard of Oz has a more realistic looking tornado BY FAR, and that movie is o OLD. The tornados here seem fatter at the bottom, have little or no debris clouds, and move exceedingly slow. My guess is that German director Ronald Emmerich told the people in India " We need you to make computer tornados for us! Tornados are basically funnels of wind or something. Achtung!"

Then there are the wolves who just happen to be wandering around a frozen New York City. Obviously they enter a huge Russian tanker which has somehow floated down the narrow streets of NYC to chase Spider Man and his amazing super-friends. What the group doesn' t realize is that these wolves can' t actually hurt them because they are incredibly fake-looking CGI. Maybe they are running away because they hate bad graphics? That must be it. Why don' t the wolves freeze? They' ve obviously been outside for a very long time. Also where did the huge tanker go at the end of the movie? It' s not by the library. It' s just gone!

Then there are the sappy side stories which amount to nothing at all. I don' t care if Toby McGuire/Jake Gyllenhaal has feelings for the smart chick. And while I think the 30-something asian lady in the movie is indeed desirable material, the way he young guy looked back at her as he was leaving and the way she looked at him almost made me puke pizza bits. And what is up with the homeless guy' s dog? SHUT UP ALREADY! Ronald Emmerich loves having barking dogs in his movie, and they never die like they should. The scene in Independence Day where the dog narrowly escaped the explosion made me go diarrhea on my seat. Also, am I supposed to feel sad when the old guy cuts his own rope and falls down to save the other two assholes? My reaction was " Good riddance! You should have died 10 years ago you old fart! Serves you right." Oh! And the 3 idiots in England drinking 12 year old scotch worrying about the loo was just retarded. Am I supposed to care about them? Their contribution to the story is about as essential as picking the lint out of my belly-button before I shoot myself. BUT THAT' S NOT IT!!! There are so many side stories in this movie that you may think that some of them are commercials in a TV show. Spider Man' s mom is caring for this dipshit kid in a hospital bed who obviously has no future. We are supposed to be worried and/or concerned for the kid who needs transport to some place unknown. For some reason he can only be moved with an ambulance even though the only thing hooked up to the little bastard is an oxygen tank which could be carried by hand. Sela Ward should be frozen and thawed out when they find a cure for lousy acting.
End Spoilers:

Oh well. Rent first.
Terry Bogard

RE: Day After Tomorrow...Good or Bad? - Oct 16, 2004 02:20
I just remembered the biggest problem with the movie when I first saw it...

SPOILER

I HATED the MAJOR cop out ending they shoved down our throats, that whole crap about the Ice Age suddenly ending and clearing up overnight was pure bull$hitt... It would have made ALOT more sense to just kill off every one.
< Message edited by Terry Bogard -- 10/16/2004 2:22:38 AM >
Joe Redifer

RE: Day After Tomorrow...Good or Bad? - Oct 16, 2004 03:12
And why did they only freeze the northern hemisphere? They should have froze ALL the hemispherez equally. RACISTS!
Terry Bogard

RE: Day After Tomorrow...Good or Bad? - Oct 16, 2004 03:28
LOL! What did you think about that massive tidal wave flooding New York?
Joe Redifer

RE: Day After Tomorrow...Good or Bad? - Oct 16, 2004 09:51
That was cool, one of the few well done special effects scenes. I assume that one wasn' t done in India.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll