Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Resi 5
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
Resi 5 - Mar 14, 2009 16:30
Got the game yesterday was does everyone think?? Its a really fun game, but the girl on ai is a little annoying, who can I co-op with? [ps3]
immortaldanmx

• Total Posts : 2966
Edwin

• Total Posts : 658
Re:Resi 5 - Mar 14, 2009 17:16
Get a machine gun and max out its piercing power. Great fun when firing into a crowd three zombies deep.
immortaldanmx

Re:Resi 5 - Mar 14, 2009 17:20
Edwin

Get a machine gun and max out its piercing power. Great fun when firing into a crowd three zombies deep.

On a scale of 1-10, what's your opinion so far? I can't bring myself to buy it because of the convoluted control scheme(I feel like Joe now ) but maybe it's worth a rental.
Edwin

Re:Resi 5 - Mar 14, 2009 18:27
8 :)

http://games.kikizo.com/reviews/ps3/resident-evil-5-p1.asp

One of my crappier reviews (written whilst moving flat, with handymen and cleaners all over the shop). The controls aren't too bad, just out of date.
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
Re:Resi 5 - Mar 14, 2009 18:45
Is that a Panzergruppe Kleist emoticon? What's with the tanker goggles?
_Majik_

• Total Posts : 198
Re:Resi 5 - Mar 16, 2009 17:01
The first 3 chapters are lame... especially the 3rd... but the second half of the game owns. The boss fights are a little weak though. I kinda wish they were harder like in the previous games. Regardless, they look stunning!

The campaign is a decent length, New Game+ is always a good option... but i'm only really interested in the mercenaries mode... which is fucking awesome! Gutted that Hunk isn't available though. It'd be nice to have some Mercenaries DLC... Hunk, Krauser, Leon, Ada etc as playable characters... extra maps and weapons...

I think that visually i'd be hard pressed to put any game above RE5. Gears 2, Killzone 2 and RE5 are the best looking console games available and each is superior in different areas. I'm really impressed, especially with the latter half of the game.

The controls are obviously a controversial subject, and so i won't go into detail. I'll simply say that while they're perfectly managable and don't detract from the experience... i would much rather they had been ripped straight from Gears. It's no secret that Cliffy B was inspired by RE4's over-the-shoulder perspective... but Epic at least knew what to take and what to leave. Capcom haven't. They've included a cover system but kept the tank-like controls from previous RE titles. There have been more than a few moments where i have wanted to dive and roll out of the way of enemy attacks and the only time you can is during boss fights... and those are QTE's. They need to change it for RE6.

I like the fact that the game has co-op, but i don't like the fact that the whole campaign is built around having 2 players. It often feels forced. Sheva's AI is also pretty lame. She doesn't really do anything stupid, but if you give her the stun rod she's use it constantly and not just when she's run out of ammo. Now the stun rod fucking owns... but she's stand about getting shot at holding the damn thing instead of switching to a ranged weapon... and she doesn't use grenades for some reason, even when you give them to her. The only thing she's good for offline is for weapon and health storage. It's a shame.

Part of the problem is that she isn't anywhere near as vulnerable as Ashley in RE4 and so you're not constantly looking to make sure she's ok. You lose that suspese by giving her adequate combat abilities and they didn't balance it out. If there were greater volumes of enemies onscreen than there were in RE4 then i could probably understand it, but since there aren't... i don't.

Don;t get me wrong, it's a badass game and i'm having a blast playing it, but i kinda just expected more from the campaign mode.
Silentbomber

Re:Resi 5 - Mar 17, 2009 17:02
the story is lame too, was expecting more. 
Virtua fighter 5

• Total Posts : 1327
Re:Resi 5 - Mar 17, 2009 21:53
As Majic stated, first half is ok then it goes deeper into classic RE territories.  Overall i found it's a solid title though not as great as RE4. Certainly a step back from the last RE4 wiimake in terms of gameplay but yeah, thoroughly enjoyed.
Chimura

• Total Posts : 1123
Re:Resi 5 - Mar 17, 2009 23:41
The game is a blast to play with another player. I blasted through the campaign on Veteran mode with my little bro as soon as we unwrapped it and thoroughly enjoyed it. I think is well paced for the most part (hated the temple part on chapter 5 I think it was) but its a really good game, even with its backwards mentality towards gameplay. But most are taking that out of proportion as it is barely an annoyance. 
immortaldanmx

Re:Resi 5 - Mar 18, 2009 03:12
Virtua fighter 5

As Majic stated, first half is ok then it goes deeper into classic RE territories.  Overall i found it's a solid title though not as great as RE4. Certainly a step back from the last RE4 wiimake in terms of gameplay but yeah, thoroughly enjoyed.

The Wiimake was garbage for the fact that it was an old game with nothing new going for full price.
emofag

• Total Posts : 1508
Re:Resi 5 - Mar 18, 2009 05:49
Is it more like older RE titles than RE4?  RE4 was good and all but it didn't feel like Resident Evil, aside from the cheesy story and acting and all that. 
Edwin

Re:Resi 5 - Mar 18, 2009 11:35
Nah, it's definitely more like RE4 than any other RE i.e. action- rather than suspense-focussed - there are many, many set pieces, lots of on-rails stuff (e.g. shooting from the bow of a powerboat) and QTEs.

RE6 will probably have team deathmatch and fast-reload button prompts.
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
Re:Resi 5 - Mar 18, 2009 15:11
emofag

Is it more like older RE titles than RE4?  RE4 was good and all but it didn't feel like Resident Evil, aside from the cheesy story and acting and all that. 

No, it sometimes feels waaaaaay too similar to RE4. It's a good game, but unless you're going to play the Mercenaries Mode an awful lot it's probably only really worth renting.
Silentbomber

Re:Resi 5 - Mar 19, 2009 01:39
I love the Mercenaries Mode but it makes me way too angry, I just fuckin hate it when i have one sec untill the combo goes, killed some zombie but then that mother fucker monster thing busts out and ruins my combo! argh. 
the_shadowwolf

• Total Posts : 675
Re:Resi 5 - Mar 30, 2009 17:56
I've been playing it over the last 2 weeks.

It's just okay. But not as good as i expected. After RE4 I was expecting a lot more out of this. The Story mode is okay but i felt so much more could be put in instead of making the entire game based on parthnership.
Playing Solo with the AI as the girl is not fun. She dies a lot. Playing Co-op with another person is nice. So that aspect is fine. But when surrounded with hoards of enemies the game gets clustered.
Inventory is fine, money is not a problem and lots of weapons.
Replay has The Mercs. which is good for a nice adrenalin rush and a good bit of players of choose from.
Graphics...well for 2009 it is on what it should be.
Sound is fine.
But the worst part is the auto saving. Want to save your game and restart it after missing that command during a cutscene or how about that 1 hit wtf kill. Oops no quit and load option here. Which sucks. That auto save feature is not helpful or friendly.
So IMO is it worth it. It is a rental for some players, but a must have for RE fans. I am a bit disappointed. The challenging part would be playing on Veteran Co-op with someone. After that is completed and have exhausted Mercs then its back to killzone 2 online.

Edit: I would give this a 7.8 out of 10
<message edited by the_shadowwolf on Mar 30, 2009 17:57>

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread