Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 The Sun Revolves Around the Earth!
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
The Sun Revolves Around the Earth! - Jul 07, 2007 10:43
UnluckyOne

• Total Posts : 995
RE: The Sun Revolves Around the Earth! - Jul 07, 2007 13:21
Even though I know this is another case of " average joe ignorance" , can you please quote the article as I don' t want to have to sign up/log in to the NY Times page just to see it.
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
RE: The Sun Revolves Around the Earth! - Jul 07, 2007 13:50
You could look at the article yesterday, I think after so many days it turns to subscriber' s only.
btw

ITS 7/7/7 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: The Sun Revolves Around the Earth! - Jul 07, 2007 16:35
Please log in...FUCK YOU!
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: The Sun Revolves Around the Earth! - Jul 07, 2007 23:06
Your wish is my command.

CHICAGO - When Jon D. Miller looks out across America, which he can almost do from his 18th-floor office at Northwestern University Medical School in Chicago, he sees a landscape of haves and have-nots - in terms not of money, but of knowledge.

Skip to next paragraph
Enlarge This Image

Steve Kagan for The New York Times
Dr. Jon D. Miller of Northwestern says scientific illiteracy undermines citizens' ability to take part in the democratic process.
Dr. Miller, 63, a political scientist who directs the Center for Biomedical Communications at the medical school, studies how much Americans know about science and what they think about it. His findings are not encouraging.

While scientific literacy has doubled over the past two decades, only 20 to 25 percent of Americans are " scientifically savvy and alert," he said in an interview. Most of the rest " don' t have a clue." At a time when science permeates debates on everything from global warming to stem cell research, he said, people' s inability to understand basic scientific concepts undermines their ability to take part in the democratic process.

Over the last three decades, Dr. Miller has regularly surveyed his fellow citizens for clients as diverse as the National Science Foundation, European government agencies and the Lance Armstrong Foundation. People who track Americans' attitudes toward science routinely cite his deep knowledge and long track record.

" I think we should pay attention to him," said Eugenie Scott, director of the National Center for Science Education, who cites Dr. Miller' s work in her efforts to advance the cause of evolution in the classroom. " We ignore public understanding of science at our peril."

Rolf F. Lehming, who directs the science foundation' s surveys on understanding of science, calls him " absolutely authoritative."

Dr. Miller' s data reveal some yawning gaps in basic knowledge. American adults in general do not understand what molecules are (other than that they are really small). Fewer than a third can identify DNA as a key to heredity. Only about 10 percent know what radiation is. One adult American in five thinks the Sun revolves around the Earth, an idea science had abandoned by the 17th century.

At one time, this kind of ignorance may not have meant much for the nation' s public life. Dr. Miller, who has delved into 18th-century records of New England town meetings, said that back then, it was enough " if you knew where the bridge should be built, if you knew where the fence should be built."

" Even if you could not read and write, and most New England residents could not read or write," he went on, " you could still be a pretty effective citizen."

No more. " Acid rain, nuclear power, infectious diseases - the world is a little different," he said.

It was the nuclear power issue that first got him interested in public knowledge of science, when he was a graduate student in the 1960' s. " The issue then was nuclear power," he said. " I used to play tennis with some engineers who were very pro-nuclear, and I was dating a person who was very anti-nuclear. I started doing some reading and discovered that if you don' t know a little science it was hard to follow these debates. A lot of journalism would not make sense to you."

Devising good tests to measure scientific knowledge is not simple. Questions about values and attitudes can be asked again and again over the years because they will be understood the same way by everyone who hears them; for example, Dr. Miller' s surveys regularly ask people whether they agree that science and technology make life change too fast (for years, about half of Americans have answered yes) or whether Americans depend too much on science and not enough on faith (ditto).

But assessing actual knowledge, over time, " is something of an art," he said. He varies his questions, as topics come and go in the news, but devises the surveys so overall results can be compared from survey to survey, just as SAT scores can be compared even though questions on the test change.

For example, he said, in the era of nuclear tests he asked people whether they knew about strontium 90, a component of fallout. Today, he asks about topics like the workings of DNA in the cell because " if you don' t know what a cell is, you can' t make sense of stem cell research."

alijay034

• Total Posts : 1433
RE: The Sun Revolves Around the Earth! - Jul 08, 2007 00:21
All stupid people should be exterminated to preserve the human race.
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: The Sun Revolves Around the Earth! - Jul 08, 2007 01:55
" All stupid people should be exterminated to preserve the human race."

You want to exterminate 95% of the human population to save the race? I don' t know...your plan seems kinda sketchy. Ah fuck it, sounds good to me.
mastachefbkw

• Total Posts : 3793
RE: The Sun Revolves Around the Earth! - Jul 08, 2007 02:37
20%? Wow, Im ashamed to live here

I think we could just get rid of about 35% of americans
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: The Sun Revolves Around the Earth! - Jul 08, 2007 04:16

I wonder how kikizo would be affected?

... Might get lonely.
Die_Hounderdoggen

• Total Posts : 275
RE: The Sun Revolves Around the Earth! - Jul 08, 2007 08:52
It' d make highway driving a hell of a lot easier.
nekkid_monkey

• Total Posts : 818
RE: The Sun Revolves Around the Earth! - Jul 08, 2007 23:09
I never trust surveys. Too easy to tailor questions to get the results you want.

For example, I know exactly what nuclear fallout is. I understand the concept fully. But if someone came up and asked me about a specific substance like strontium 90 I' d be clueless. Does that mean I' m stupid?

I' d like to take this test of his...
alijay034

• Total Posts : 1433
RE: The Sun Revolves Around the Earth! - Jul 09, 2007 16:37

ORIGINAL: Silentbomber

I wonder how kikizo would be affected?

... Might get lonely.

Nah I was thinking of the blatantly stupid and the fanboys, oh and those who thought ' Root beer tapper' was a good game.
< Message edited by alijay034 -- 9 Jul 07 8:38:24 >
emofag

• Total Posts : 1508
RE: The Sun Revolves Around the Earth! - Jul 10, 2007 13:10

ORIGINAL: nekkid_monkey

I never trust surveys. Too easy to tailor questions to get the results you want.

For example, I know exactly what nuclear fallout is. I understand the concept fully. But if someone came up and asked me about a specific substance like strontium 90 I' d be clueless. Does that mean I' m stupid?

That doesn' t fall within the realm of general knowledge.
Mass X

• Total Posts : 4491
RE: The Sun Revolves Around the Earth! - Jul 10, 2007 17:33
O yeah! Well the earth and sun revolve around yo momma!

Ooooooh shiiiiiit o nuh I didN. 763 in da hizouse!!!!
nekkid_monkey

• Total Posts : 818
RE: The Sun Revolves Around the Earth! - Jul 10, 2007 22:33

ORIGINAL: emofag

ORIGINAL: nekkid_monkey

That doesn' t fall within the realm of general knowledge.

Exactly. I doubt if that was EVER general knowledge. Nonetheless, that was one of the subjects on this test years ago. They don' t specify what questions he asked about DNA this time around. I wonder what questions he asked, and if the test was really fair.

American adults in general do not understand what molecules are (other than that they are really small). Fewer than a third can identify DNA as a key to heredity. Only about 10 percent know what radiation is. One adult American in five thinks the Sun revolves around the Earth, an idea science had abandoned by the 17th century. "

I know there' s some stupid people in the world, but these number seem REALLY exaggerated. 1 in 5 thinks the sun revolves around the earth? Who the hell was he asking? Fewer than a third knows that DNA is linked to heredity? REALLY?

I could ask the average 12 year-old those questions and I' m betting they would know. Hell, you could learn half that stuff by just watching a movie or a television show every once in a while.

locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
RE: The Sun Revolves Around the Earth! - Jul 10, 2007 22:55
They probably want more funding for science education or something. Polls are almost always bias. The reason polls are done a lot of the time is to prove a point. So they cheat.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll