Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 PES for Wii demonstrating a new way to play soccer.
Terrak

• Total Posts : 783
PES for Wii demonstrating a new way to play soccer. - Oct 15, 2007 08:10
Link from IGN

http://au.wii.ign.com/articles/826/826603p1.aspx

That' s not to say Konami has opted to dumb down Pro Evo by making it more accessible to the Wiimote-waving masses. On the contrary, PES2008 on Wii looks every bit as realistic as its hi-def cousins and, if initial thoughts prove right, it could well offer a greater level of control and freedom in terms of gameplay.

The reason for this is that Konami has cleverly used the Nunchuk and Wiimote to enhanced the gameplay experience rather than bolt on some motion-sensing gimmick. Here, the Nunchuk stick is used to move the player around screen and the B button is used to pass. No big deal you may think, but what' s interesting is that the Wiimote appears as a point on the screen, affecting the gameplay in a couple of ways. Firstly, it' s an alternative way of moving your player around the screen - drag the cursor around while holding A and your player will follow the on-screen target. Secondly, the cursor is used to accurately pass the ball, so if you want to thread a looping through ball to a winger (rather than the obvious guy standing nearby) simply move the target over the runner' s head and press pass.

That' s not all. Using the same method, you' re free to pass into space and, from the video we' ve seen), the AI is smart enough to know what you' re doing and latch onto the pass, within reason of course.

The Wiimote comes in really useful during setpieces too because you can ' order' off-the-ball players to make runs. Again, simply click the cursor over their heads and then drag in the direction you want them to run. They' ll then scuttle off, leaving you to knock in a well-weighted ball they can latch on to. There' s no limit to the number of players you can move around either, so there' s no reason why a skilled player couldn' t send one player off on a dummy run while crossing the ball into the path of a player they' ve sent in another direction.

I' ve seen the videos and the amount of control, strategy & precision the Wiimote allows is staggering. Its not 100% perfect but its close & IMO superior to any control scheme a standard controller can dish out. Can you use a standard controller to control ' off-the-ball players' ? can you thread a pass exactly to the player you want instead of passing to the nearest player? i don' t think so. This level of control is unheard of in a soccer game before it, and kudos to Konami for putting some serious effort into a game that will no doubt prove what sets the Wii apart for its HD rivals.

First FPS, and now soccer. And everyone here knows how well soccer games sell.

Wiimote controls allows for dumbed down play only? Nah i don' t think so.
< Message edited by Terrak -- 15 Oct 07 0:27:17 >
Virtua fighter 5

• Total Posts : 1327
RE: PES for Wii demonstrating a new way to play soccer. - Oct 15, 2007 08:35
I was reading on this a few days ago, like alot of potential Wiimote controls, this looks to wipe the slate clean and in the process will put alot of the purist off. I personally love the challange.

Edit: Wow, just watched the vids and i see what IGN mean now.. just point and aim where you want to pass and shoot.. you can control the accuracy of the pass and shot with alot more precision. Basically you have a lot more control with the Wiimote controls.. Kudos to Konami. That does really well implemented.

Top 10 most Wanted

1) Super Mario Galaxy (wii)
2) Mario Kart Wii (wii)
3) Yakuza 3 (PS3)
4) Super Smash Bos: Brawl (wii)
5) Crysis (PC)
6) Zak & Wiki (wii)
7) Contra 4 (DS)
8) No More Hero' s (wii)
9) Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword (DS)
10) Street fighter 2 HD (PS3)
< Message edited by virtua fighter 5 -- 15 Oct 07 0:52:03 >
Terrak

RE: PES for Wii demonstrating a new way to play soccer. - Oct 15, 2007 08:43
I' ve never felt that soccer games before had the enough control to my liking. I used to play against my Bro In Law on his 360 & you could never pass the ball to the player you wanted, and you could only control one player at time. For me there was no strategy. The Computer AI controlled the players you weren' t and you were at its mercy in attack and defence. If the AI set the players up badly in defence well too bad. You could only control one player, & In attack setting up plays was left to AI, which can never beat the variety of a Human player. Everything was one dimensional. The Wiimote changes that. It adds strategy to the mix, as well as precision. A level of control standard controllers simply could never match. I' d like to see a challenge were two experts, one with a standard controller, and one with a Wiimote & Nunchuk duke it out, with controls like that of PES for Wii i have no doubt the Wiimote expert will always come out on top, simply because he has more control and percision then his competition (IMO).

I' m gonna have to get this now for the Wii, My Bro in Law loves soccer games, its all he ever played, on his PC and 360 (online too). But hes never seen soccer played like this before. I' m sure once he sees just how much control he has with a Wiimote he will absolutely love it. Hes been wanting to get a Wii for my sister (and due to the lack of games i' ve personally advised him against it) but now i think he might just want it for himself, thanks to PES for Wii.
< Message edited by Terrak -- 15 Oct 07 1:02:31 >
Virtua fighter 5

RE: PES for Wii demonstrating a new way to play soccer. - Oct 15, 2007 08:57
Watched the rest of the video' s

thanks Terrak! you have saved me from getting the wrong version. Im gettting this on Day one!
Terrak

RE: PES for Wii demonstrating a new way to play soccer. - Oct 15, 2007 08:59

ORIGINAL: Virtua fighter 5

Watched the rest of the video' s

thanks Terrak! you have saved me from getting the wrong version. Im gettting this on Day one!

Me Too, hope its online as well. My only concern is kick to score the goal is mapped to a nunchuk gesture and not a button (from my understanding). Not sure if this can be changed or not. It could work but i have my reservations.
< Message edited by Terrak -- 15 Oct 07 1:01:27 >
Virtua fighter 5

RE: PES for Wii demonstrating a new way to play soccer. - Oct 15, 2007 09:05
Its Konami, im sure they know the score (get it ' score' )..

going to get this version and give it a good extensive play neverless.

Top 10 most Wanted

1) Super Mario Galaxy (wii)
2) Mario Kart Wii (wii)
3) Yakuza 3 (PS3)
4) Super Smash Bos: Brawl (wii)
5) Crysis (PC)
6) Zak & Wiki (wii)
7) Contra 4 (DS)
8) No More Hero' s (wii)
9) Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword (DS)
10) PES8 (wii)
Terrak

RE: PES for Wii demonstrating a new way to play soccer. - Oct 15, 2007 09:31
This is how i would have liked the controls for kicking for goal to be. Its complicated but very realistic.

To shoot you have to hold the Z button on the nunchuck, that brings up a sort of targeting reticle (laser pointer) were you aim EXACTLY were the ball goes. You release the Z button to actually kick the ball. If you are stationary the reticle is more stable, but if you move the recticle isn' t as stable and getting a clean shot isn' t as easy as it should be. Running increases the difficulty of the shot even more. You could add power by pressing & holding the c button on the nunchuck, for a stronger strike, but it too reduces the accuracy of the shot reticle, so moving and a strong strike would thus make an accurate strike very difficult. May be adding nunchuk gestures for the amount of power would also work, as well as tilting the nunchuck or Wiimote to add spin to the ball to curve the shot.

< Message edited by Terrak -- 15 Oct 07 1:36:54 >
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: PES for Wii demonstrating a new way to play soccer. - Oct 15, 2007 09:36
Um, i' m pretty sure i can pass to y' know, whichever player i like just using my traditional pad...

The Wii controls look interesting, and i hope they work as well in practice as they do in theory. If they' re responsive and fluid enough and don' t affect the speed at which the game can be played then it' ll be one of the best implementations of the Wiimote we' ve seen yet. Ofcourse it' s not out for another what, 5 months? Shame - what with the 360, PS3, PC and PS2 versions coming out this month and the DS and PSP versions next month.

If it had shown up before Christmas then i' m sure it would have sold through the roof. March 2008 i' m not so sure about. But still, better late than never i guess. Lets just hope other codeshops take note and give us more intuitive contols in their games.
Terrak

RE: PES for Wii demonstrating a new way to play soccer. - Oct 15, 2007 09:42

ORIGINAL: Nitro

Um, i' m pretty sure i can pass to y' know, whichever player i like just using my traditional pad...

Maybe, but it wasn' t as intuitive as simply pointing to the exact player you want the ball to go too.

Didn' t know about its late release though, which is dissappointing. Looks like the trend for Wii games lately anyway
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: PES for Wii demonstrating a new way to play soccer. - Oct 15, 2007 09:47

ORIGINAL: Terrak

Maybe, but it wasn' t as intuitive as simply pointing to the exact player you want the ball to go too.

No, not quite, but it' s solid as it is.

I mean hey, if the Wiimote can improve upon it then that' s great. The simple fact that they' re doing it differently is sign that developers are starting to take the console seriously. I just hope it' s done well.
Abasoufiane

• Total Posts : 2127
RE: PES for Wii demonstrating a new way to play soccer. - Oct 15, 2007 10:06
that' s what i' m talking about Terrak, it seems you still don' t understand my position about the wii, i explained myself many times but you only pick what you want...

this PES seems very very interesting, now that' s something others consoles cannot do... the game has a potential to be the best version specialy that the 360 version looks average, almost high res last gen, and i don' t think the ps3 will differ.
Demonoroth

• Total Posts : 359
RE: PES for Wii demonstrating a new way to play soccer. - Oct 16, 2007 00:48
I' m not one to buy a new footbal game every year and my last one was PES 5 and even that one I bought a long time after it' s release.

Didn' t want to comment here before watching the video...and I must say I' m impressed really. Konami seems to take it seriously. From what I can see the new controls will be superior to any other version if they are implemented well.

These controls really add a lot of depth to the game. Matches can be played tacticly. Control over the other players really is a huge step forward. The precision of the passes and making off the ball player do a fake run to create holes is just amazing and adds a lot of depth to the game. Control over the defense is a great addition as well since AI controlled it could be very stupid.

This is a great example of what the Wii can add to games. And no matter how great the other versions look. The Wii version (if the controls are actually done well) will blow them away. First retro sets the standard and shows how to do a FPS on Wii making the other controls look ridiculous. Now Konami seems to set the standard for footbal games.

Seems developers are finally getting serious with the controls and are actually trying to make something good.

Konami got the picture and they are making an effort. PES has always been better than Fifa from EA...but this...Konami and PES are just going to destroy FIFA and EA.

For what we can see so far great job Konami. Now if they add online matches for this..well then I don' t see how any football fan can leave this game on the shelves, even without online.
Terrak

RE: PES for Wii demonstrating a new way to play soccer. - Oct 16, 2007 07:56
Gotta admit the graphics are dissappointing though, and the movement of the players seems very stiff. I hope that the 5 months extra are invested into turning the graphics into something more suited to the Wii then the ps2. I did not expect HD graphics but something better then ps2 graphics, is that too much to ask Konami?

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll