Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Does size matter?
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 33
kombatfighter

• Total Posts : 428
Does size matter? - Jan 16, 2008 10:27
http://www.apple.com/macbookair/

I mean seriously, what if I want upgrades later on? Will they charge me and arm and leg? However, who would have ever thought that laptops would be that thin?

P.S. The title does sound a little dirty. LOL
< Message edited by kombatfighter -- 16 Jan 08 2:30:40 >
Rampage99

• Total Posts : 3161
RE: Does size matter? - Jan 16, 2008 10:59
I was hoping this wouldn' t come up. I threw a sh*t fit with one of my friends who is a Apple zealot today about the press conference. The whole thing pissed me off.

Sh*t I' ll just vent it all.

First... wtf is with the bullsh*t of charging $20 for the iPod Touch update?! To get 5 apps that are free for the iPhone (which uses the same exact OS as the Touch) and new Touch owners from today on is absolutely insane! Talk about f*cked up! This really doesn' t effect me because I' m just going to use my best buy warranty to get the updated Touch this weekend. Still, for anyone that bought it from apple or didn' t get the warranty that' s a horrible way for a company to treat them.

Then we have the Apple TV Take 2. They admitted they failed with the first Apple TV but now say they have reinvented it and made it something that none of their competitors were able to do (specifically naming Microsft along with some others). Then they go on to show it... and it' s Xbox Live Marketplace with a Applified UI. Movie rentals, show downloads, trailers... they just took XBLM and added podcasts and flickr support. What the hell?!

Then they make their big announcement... the Mac Book Air. What a piece of crap. I' ll give them a ton of credit for making it that slim, I will. It' s thin as hell... but at what cost? Jobs talked about how they didn' t sacrifice performance because they got Intel to take their 1.6 and 1.8GHz Duos down to the size of a nickel in comparison to Sony' s thinnest model that runs at 1.2GHz. Well who the f*ck cares when they put an iPod HD in there. The HD won' t be able to keep up with the processor so it' s useless!

The integrated GPU sucks so running anything graphically demanding is a no go. then they say there is only one USB port... wtf? The best of all, NO OPTICAL DRIVE. To install sh*t you have to wirelessly connect to another computer to virtually use their disc drive. Real convenient. This is what really got me pissed off. My friend that I mentioned earlier laughed at me about this. He said I' m probably still hugging onto my floppy disc drive. He told me if Apple says they don' t need an optical drive, then they are obsolete just like they did with the floppy drive and the original iMac. F*CK THAT! Apple themselves know they can' t get away with completely getting rid of the optical drive which is why the thing still has the ability to wirelessly use the optical drive and they will be selling a USB one for an extra $100.

Now that I think of it... the loss of the optical drive wasn' t the best part... it was the price! $1800 starting price! That' s right! For a crippled 1.6GHz, 80Gig HD, no optical drive, one USB port piece of crap it' s $1800! Even better, wait for it... wait for it... for an extra .2GHz, taking the processor to a whopping 1.8GHz and throwing in a 64Gig SSD (we' re actually going down in memory... I don' t care that it' s cool cause it' s SSD) they jack the price to over $3000! W...T...F!!!

Think of the Alienware laptop you could buy with that. I mean hell... let me look right now. Let' s see... I' ve got a 15.4" LCD screen, a 512MB GeForce 8800M GTX gpu, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.6GHz processor, 2 gigs of ram, 200GB HD, CD/DVD burner, surround sound card... and I' m still coming up $150 less than the $3100 Air. Hmm...

Yet even after showing this info to my friend he still said the Air is the greatest laptop ever conceived. Hearing Mac people talk like this frustrates me to know end as you have probably figured out. Pay so much more for so much less because it' s Apple... and hip... and stylish... what the hell?
< Message edited by Rampage99 -- 16 Jan 08 3:21:25 >
Duffman

• Total Posts : 1096
RE: Does size matter? - Jan 16, 2008 11:12
Its not how big your worm is, its how you wiggle it.
Oh, what was the question again?
Chimura

• Total Posts : 1123
RE: Does size matter? - Jan 16, 2008 11:26

Yet even after showing this info to my friend he still said the Air is the greatest laptop ever conceived. Hearing Mac people talk like this frustrates me to know end as you have probably figured out. Pay so much more for so much less because it' s Apple... and hip... and stylish... what the hell?

Your friend is, don' t want to insult your friend here, but he is a blind fan boy and I hate it when people think like that. And he is wrong, my 1 year old MacBook Pro is tenfolds better than Air. It' s cool looking, but that' s all its got going for it in my book. And I am an Apple user. I just accept facts, and the fact here is that now that Apple has a little more steam going for it, they' re starting to do what every successful multi-million company does best, rip off customers so blind that they can' t see beyond their eye lids. And after that, well, that' s when sh!t product making comes around, and I must say I am not looking forward to that, because I do enjoy using Macs.
< Message edited by chimura -- 16 Jan 08 3:26:43 >
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: Does size matter? - Jan 16, 2008 11:36
No user replacable battery, no optical drive. Price LOL

Apple=fascists

Apple loves to control their computer products and essentially remove most of the capabilities that people actually need. It offers no flexibility or expandibility. I wouldn' t even call it a laptop.

Just like all of their products this is aimed at the person who wants an expensive fashion accessory. This is not functional or practical.

Did you guys see their stock drop? They deserve it.
Rampage99

RE: Does size matter? - Jan 16, 2008 11:39
Yeah, it plummeted over 5%. I need to shove that in the face of the friend I was talking about because he just couldn' t stop talking about how his stocks where going to go through the roof. Then again, I really don' t want to talk to the guy again for a few days.
Agent Ghost

RE: Does size matter? - Jan 16, 2008 11:41

Apple=fascists

Apple loves to control their computer products and essentially remove most of the capabilities that people actually need. In excahnge you get something that' s hip. FUCK THAT! It offers no flexibility or expandibility. I wouldn' t even call it a laptop. Even if you already have a good laptop, and you have money to burn, I still wouldn' t recommend this for even office work.

Just like all of their products this is aimed at the person who wants an expensive fashion accessory. This is not functional or practical.

The most insulting thing about it is that fact that the thing is fugly on top of it. The only thing they had to do right and they fucked it up.

Did you guys see their stock drop? They deserve it.
< Message edited by Agent Ghost -- 16 Jan 08 3:43:10 >
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: Does size matter? - Jan 16, 2008 14:12
I am a huge Mac fan and I would never ever buy the Macbook Air. I' d much sooner buy either a Macbook or (more likely) a Macbook Pro. I don' t give a rat' s ass if the Air is super thin. I' ll pass it some air from my ass!

*What happens when the battery loses capacity or runs out? The battery is apparently not user-replaceable. This means you can' t swap out batteries to extend operating life, and you' ll likely need to seek authorized service to get the battery replaced when it inevitably loses capacity or fails altogether.
* How do you perform an emergency boot? What if you can' t startup from the built-in drive and need to boot from a separate volume? The MacBook Air lacks an optical drive, meaning you can' t boot from an inserted DVD like the Mac OS X Leopard install disc unless you purchase the $100 optional, external SuperDrive. It' s not yet clear whether the MacBook Air can boot from an optical drive in another Mac via the " Remote Disc" function. Highly doubtful.
* How will you apply major Mac OS X updates? If you can' t boot from an installer disc, how will you be able to install the next major iteration of Mac OS X? Traditionally, Mac OS X installers have required the system to boot from the disc.
* How will you use target disk mode? The MacBook Air lacks a FireWire port. This means you can' t use FireWire target disk mode -- an invaluable troubleshooting tool.
* How will you NetBoot? The MacBook Air lacks a built-in Ethernet port, so NetBoots won' t be possible by default, precluding yet another option for emergency boots. You' ll need to purchase the $30 USB Ethernet adapter.

And it costs $130 to get the battery replaced and takes 5 days. Oh, and they say don' t count on keeping your data intact when you send it in because they' ll likely reformat the hard drive for whatever reason. I really hope this P.O.S. sells poorly, but you know initially it will sell well to the people who buy everything new made by Apple.

The HD won' t be able to keep up with the processor so it' s useless!

The optional (and super expensive) 64 GB solid state drive will. No moving parts.

wtf is with the bullsh*t of charging $20 for the iPod Touch update?!

I thought that was lame as well, and even the Apple zealot crowd didn' t clap over that one. My guess is that is to persuade people into buying an iPhone instead of an iPod Touch. It' ll get people to think iPhone = free updates and iPod = pay updates. That' s my theory.

Then we have the Apple TV Take 2

Screw that thing. I like physical media, I do not like downloading my content.

< Message edited by Joe Redifer -- 16 Jan 08 6:24:13 >
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
RE: Does size matter? - Jan 16, 2008 14:45
and it only has 1 usb port. lawl

btw, the only way to get rid of mouse gacceleration on the mac is to install a third party application or hacks. sad
Joe Redifer

RE: Does size matter? - Jan 16, 2008 16:19

ORIGINAL: locopuyo

btw, the only way to get rid of mouse gacceleration on the mac is to install a third party application or hacks. sad

What are you talking about? What is gacceleration?
Rampage99

RE: Does size matter? - Jan 16, 2008 22:03

ORIGINAL: Joe Redifer

The HD won' t be able to keep up with the processor so it' s useless!

The optional (and super expensive) 64 GB solid state drive will. No moving parts.

I know that, and further went on to say that later in the same paragraph. An extra $1100 for less memory, regardless of how fast it is, and an extra .2GHz is stupid and is the reason I showed what kind of Alienware laptop you could get for the same price.
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: Does size matter? - Jan 16, 2008 23:31
2 grand? For that?

I don' t think so.

I' m in the market for another laptop but i' ll be going with Alienware' s m15x like Rampage instead. Just as soon as it comes out over here
choupolo

• Total Posts : 1773
RE: Does size matter? - Jan 17, 2008 02:45
I thought everyone already knew what Apple are all about. I' m not surprised. Never bought an Apple product, never will.

During a word association game when someone said apple, for some reason I said GAP. Dunno why.
Chimura

RE: Does size matter? - Jan 17, 2008 04:44
Now, talking about the title itself, let' s see, does size matter?? In this case... yes, a lot.
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: Does size matter? - Jan 17, 2008 06:49

Its not how big your worm is, its how you wiggle it.
Oh, what was the question again?

What do they mean when they say no user replaceable battery? They don' t have a warranty sticker on it do they? I' ll be the first one to say that I don' t know the first thing about Apple, or how their sick minds work, so forgive the ignorance.

Edit: Lol, I just took a look at the mac website... I' m afraid I' d break the thing!
< Message edited by eddie_the_hated -- 16 Jan 08 22:50:09 >
Agent Ghost

RE: Does size matter? - Jan 17, 2008 08:08

What do they mean when they say no user replaceable battery?

Like with iPods you have to send it in to change the battery. lol
locopuyo

RE: Does size matter? - Jan 17, 2008 09:01

ORIGINAL: Joe Redifer

ORIGINAL: locopuyo

What are you talking about? What is gacceleration?

mouse acceleration aka mouse gaycelleration. The mouse moves more pixels depending on the speed you move it, not just the distance. It makes mouse movement way, way, way less accurate. It was originally made back in the day to make shitastic 10 dpi mice usable.
Joe Redifer

RE: Does size matter? - Jan 17, 2008 09:16
I honestly have no clue what you' re talking about. I have both PCs and Macs, and the mouse controls the exact same way on both. Move the mouse slow and the cursor moves slow. Move it fast and it goes fast. Both OS' s allow you to adjust the cursor seed as well. I don' t have any 3rd party apps or hacks installed on either. Actually I think on Windows you need to install the driver software for whatever mouse you are using which is kind of lame.

I use a Microsoft mouse on both Mac and PC.

Are you sure you know what you' re talking about? I don' t think you do.

EDIT: OK so I searched for the term mouse acceleration and downloaded an app for my Mac. I turned mouse acceleration on and everything was all wacky. Turned it off and everything was normal. I have never experienced any " mouse acceleration" by default on a Mac. I think you have to install something if you want it.
< Message edited by Joe Redifer -- 17 Jan 08 1:26:02 >
Chimura

RE: Does size matter? - Jan 17, 2008 11:52
I' ve never had any problems with my MAc mouse pad. It moves fast and slow, depending on my needs and movements.
locopuyo

RE: Does size matter? - Jan 17, 2008 13:53
say you have an 800 dpi mouse.

no mouse acceleration:
move mouse 1 inch at any speed, cursor moves 800 pixels

mouse acceleration:
move mouse 1 inch fast, mouse moves 3000 pixels
move mouse 1 inch slow, mouse moves 50 pixels

and there is a big curve there

You don' t need to install mouse drivers on windows and can just use the default.
By default windows has mouse acceleration, there is a check box ironically labeled " enhance mouse precision" which when checked turns on mouse acceleration.

Any serious gamer has mouse acceleration off because it is inconsistent as hell.

If you had a crappy 50 dpi mouse you would set your sensitivity a lot higher so you dont' have to move it a mile to traverse the whole screen. This then presents the problem of your mouse moving 5 pixels and you' re unable to click on a specific point. So they made mouse acceleration to compensate for it.

all verisons of OSX have mouse acceleration on and you can not turn it off, or even set it to different levels.
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 33

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message