Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Flawed engine?
jabronibasher

• Total Posts : 119
Flawed engine? - Aug 08, 2004 21:45
Don' t know if this is already done, but what the heck here it is: the future of gaming.

http://unrealtechnology.com/flash/technology/ue30.shtml
Unbelievable.Its the new unreal engine 3.0. Its designed for the next wave of consoles, and just looks incredible.

As for the engine used in doom3, i heard from a friend that id didnt make use of the engine' s full capabilities. The number of objects u could manipulate were scarce ( boxs etc ) and the rag doll wasnt what it was expected to be.

I wouldnt know since its not out here yet, but i think i can guess what john carmack' s trying to do. Doom3 sounds more like a tech demo than a full game. I think it was a way for id to show off the new engine. The gameplay( i heard ) is very similar to the previous installments and doesnt offer anything new in terms of innovation. They didnt seem to put too much effort into the gameplay.

My guess is theyre probably holding back the good stuff for their new project.
Then again my friend' s an ass, and im probably gonna buy doom3 despite the apparent ' flaws' that he mentioned. Somebody enlighten me.

PS2Poodoo

• Total Posts : 273
RE: Flawed engine? - Aug 09, 2004 03:18
I really can' t wait until games start fully utilizing the Doom3 and Unreal engines. I don' t think things are only going to change graphically either. Newer physics engines will allow for more things to be destructable(for shooters) and manipulative(for other genres). I' m really looking forward to the new generation of gaming!

jabronibasher

RE: Flawed engine? - Aug 09, 2004 13:10
Im also very excited about vavles source engine. I acould watse hours playing around with that cool gravity gun.

I agree that graphically the engines may stay the same for a few years, until one day a new engine is revealed with the capabilities fo blurring the line between whats real and whats not. It doesnt seem too far off with rate of tech advancement nowadays.
< Message edited by jabronibasher -- 8/9/2004 1:10:32 PM >
PS2Poodoo

• Total Posts : 273
RE: Flawed engine? - Aug 09, 2004 14:39

ORIGINAL: jabronibasher

Im also very excited about vavles source engine. I acould watse hours playing around with that cool gravity gun.

I am too, a game called Psi-Ops helped my craving for the Havok physics engine. HL2 is years beyond psi-ops, but I was more than happy flinging boxes and bodies around. I can' t wait until we use fitted gloves instead of controllers and actually pick up or hold items in games.

Imagine holding a virtual gun, or shooting a virtual basketball? It' s not very far off with how things are advancing these days. I think nintendo might be getting us closer to virtual realtiy-- ok atleast that' s what I' m hoping as we don' t really know anything about Revolution yet
jabronibasher

RE: Flawed engine? - Aug 16, 2004 10:32
That would be awesome. Eye Toy is the first step in that direction, so i guess it' s not far off. All those Vr headgear and gloves and the like would probably cost a bundle though, and ill find myself eating out of cans( again)

Im not entirely sure if the next gen consoles would incorporate VR yet. Maybe a more advanced version of Eye Toy? Two player boxing? That would be nice.

As for me even games like doom 3 scared the crap outta me, so im not sure if i want to get up close and personal with a demon in Vr if you know what i mean.

Its all happening so fast.......
Zotty

• Total Posts : 41
RE: Flawed engine? - Aug 16, 2004 10:47
The new unreal engine looks amazing but in my personal opinion they can wait for 2 years or so before they start to release games looking like that. Why you may ask? Because to me developers are pushing the envelope to much and they arent really optimizing todays engines enough. Gamers are forced to buy new graphics card every 6 months otherwise you cant fully enjoy the new games. It wasnt like this in the old days with 3DFX...until Nvidia showed up and the huge battle begone about who could make the best graphics. And the battle between Nvidia and Ati now is just insane and stupid.

They are focusing to much on graphics...they should put more time in gameplay.

Sorry about the b*tching but I just cant stand it :) I love what they are doing...but they forgot the real reason why they are making games.
immortaldanmx

• Total Posts : 2966
RE: Flawed engine? - Aug 17, 2004 06:44
Uh, the whole fitted glove thing was tried with terrible results. Remember the Power Glove for the NES?

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll