Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Sonic Gems
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
Sonic Gems - Jun 21, 2005 01:03
Is anyone looking forward to Sonic Gems? It' s gonna have Sonic CD. But I sure hope they fix the slowdown in Sonic CD. Sonic CD seemed to take a step backwards in smooth programming from Sonic 1, and Sonic CD even had a faster processor at its disposal!

Take a look at this Quicktime I made comparing Sonic 1 to Sonic CD. Watch what happens when Sonic gets hit and loses his rings. No slowdown on Sonic 1. Also note how many rings Sonic has when he gets hit in each game. Both games are being played by me on my real Genesis/Sega CD and are not being played on an emulator.

Clicky Clicky 4.1 MB

Think they' ll fix it? Any idea why Sonic CD isn' t coded as well as Sonic 1 was?
< Message edited by Joe Redifer -- 21 Jun 05 9:05:15 >
DaRoosh65

• Total Posts : 1968
RE: Sonic Gems - Jun 21, 2005 05:18
I agree...It' s good to see Sonic CD added this time.

As for why there' s slowdown in Sonic CD versus Sonic 1...well that could be one of many things that may include rushing it to market before it was ready or Sega CD compatibility with the Genesis itself.

It never really bother me that there was some slowdown...just as long as it didn' t interfere withthe over-all experience.
< Message edited by DaRoosh65 -- 21 Jun 05 13:19:36 >
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
RE: Sonic Gems - Jun 21, 2005 15:31
I remember slowdown in sonic 2 when you played 2 player split screen. It was because the graphics were too damn good for the genesis to handle. And some games instead of just allowing less frames per second and the same speed, slow down the game.
Joe Redifer

RE: Sonic Gems - Jun 21, 2005 16:06

I remember slowdown in sonic 2 when you played 2 player split screen. It was because the graphics were too damn good for the genesis to handle.

Actually that' s true! That was the first home game ever to run in such a high resolution (the 2 player split screen part only), that it had to interlace the screen (also a first for a game). That mode of the game ran at 320x448. I wish the whole game ran at the resolution, but for single player, which would mean far less slowdown and no squished screen.
George Foreman

• Total Posts : 124
RE: Sonic Gems - Jun 21, 2005 17:36
I hope they get rid of the loading screen too (or was that just in the PC version). Almost all the Sonic games I' ve played have been on computer. Also the music seems alot different on Sega CD than PC.
Joe Redifer

RE: Sonic Gems - Jun 21, 2005 17:59
If you are referring to the music that was in Sonic CD in my Quicktime clip, that is because it is the Japanese version. The music was changed for the US version because Spencer Nilsen whined, kicked, and screamed about not getting much work. Although the music Spencer came up with the for UA, EU and PC editions was very good, much of it wasn' t very fitting for a Sonic game.

They also need to make the time travel sequences quicker because going forward or backwards in time breaks up the pace of the game.
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: Sonic Gems - Jun 22, 2005 05:48
Sonic suxs, whats the bast decent game he has been in!? Mario pwns his blue ass,

... No way am i acting like a nintendo fan boy, no ,no....
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: Sonic Gems - Jun 22, 2005 11:22

The music was changed for the US version because Spencer Nilsen whined, kicked, and screamed about not getting much work.

Where' d you find this interesting tidbit out from??? Only asking cause the last time I spoke to Mr. Nilsen while he was still at Sega he did kinda sound a little resentful that " every one' s friend was getting the gigs" or something like that. Well at least that' s the impression I got when I asked him why he was relegated to just producing stuff and hadn' t composed anything during the Sega Saturn era. Hell I' m resentful about that to!!!!1!!
Joe Redifer

RE: Sonic Gems - Jun 22, 2005 16:45
Actually I heard the Japanese music had a licensing issue, though that doesn' t make sense because the PAST music (Sega CD MIDI) is the same for all versions and is based on the Japanese music.

If you want to hear some quick differences between the Japanese and Everywhere Else versions of Sonic CD, download this 24.5 MB Quicktime file! It switches back and forth between the two versions to offer a bit of contrast. There is a letter in the bottom left corner of the screen. A=Japanese version. B=Everywhere else version. (I made this QT long before I discovered JES Deinterlacer, so it is limited to 30fps. Sorry Adam).

The music in the 1st stage on the B version has got to be some of the worst game music ever composed. Bad Spencer, BAD!
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: Sonic Gems - Jun 22, 2005 17:13

The music in the 1st stage on the B version has got to be some of the worst game music ever composed. Bad Spencer, BAD!

You talking about that wanna-be ' Carribean get away' theme? lol
That song belonged in a Tiki Bar on the beaches of Jamaica or the Bahama Islands, NOT frigging Sonic CD.

You should have seen the look of complete HORROR and shock that came over my face the first time I put the U.S. Sonic CD in my Discman and heard Spencer' s first level themes.

To me the worst tracks on the B version was without a doubt the Boss themes.. Spencer Nilsen was by far my favorite U.S. based composer and as much as I looked up to him and admired him, I also wanted to f*****g Kill him after he changed the entire redbook audio soundtrack of Sonic CD.

As for licensing issues, hmm I wonder what that could have been since the music was pretty much done in-house I believe. They probably needed to get the permission of James Brown or something
Joe Redifer

RE: Sonic Gems - Jun 22, 2005 19:06
OK then just for fun Download this 32.27MB Quicktime to listen to boss music comparison. You can hear that Spencer tried to go for a similar approach, but it is not as good most likely because Spencer was severely scarred by heavy acne as a teen. That can be the only explanation.

Since this is Kikizo, this Quicktime runs at 60fps and that is why the filesize is much larger, even though the video itself is shorter.

Once again A = Japanese and B = Everywhere else.
JoeRediferIsCool

• Total Posts : 74
RE: Sonic Gems - Jul 04, 2005 20:07
wow ure right the music does suck on the us versions
DaRoosh65

• Total Posts : 1968
RE: Sonic Gems - Jul 05, 2005 10:53
Is Joe agreeing with himself?

Or, is that your alter-ego?

Joe Redifer, your being spoken to young man!

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll