Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Are MMO' s the New FPS?
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
Are MMO' s the New FPS? - Feb 25, 2006 03:41
recent mmo' s are poping up all over the place! about a dozen are in devolpment [the lastest being stargate worlds, which idealy, lends its self well to an mmo]. Soon we will start to think back to the times FPS where popular and call them the ' golden days' . heh. But perosnaly i hate mmo' s, not that they are bad games, just they you have to pay monthly charges to them! i mean how did they manage to get away with that?

...this is how historians account the invention of mmo' s

-------------
- hey, Bob lets make a game where if it fails and totally flops at retail we can still make even by chargeing these players who buy it every month!

-you know, thats just crazy enough to work!
------------

True story.
]GaNgStA[

• Total Posts : 2949
RE: Are MMO' s the New FPS? - Feb 26, 2006 02:03
It is stupid - you pay 50$ for a game and than you have to pay again so you could play it.

I think it makes sense at some point , but the first 3-6 months should be free,
or the game should be cheaper - and then they would charge you - that would be ok.

When I buy an RPG I play it for no longer than month or two - but it' s different with MMORPG - so 3 months free should be a minimum

About MMO as new FPP shooters - definitely for PC market and maybe Xbox - since those 2 have quite a bit in common when it comes to audience.

It' s been like that for ages on PC - Point and Click Adventure games ERA,Real Time Strategy ERA , FPP SHOOTERS ERA (it' s not quite over) , Diablo/Baldurs Gate kind of games ERA :)

For consoles - there is that neverending SFUCG (Stupid Fucked Up Crime Games)
ERA

But that' s different since when PC has some genre overused there are a lot of great games that come out - with PS2 - most games based on GTA series are worse than GTA SA (and that game is ...oh please don' t even get me started )

Still consoles have much bigger genre variety and it stays that way.

For those who think that consoles are starting their own FPP era - we' ve played outstanding FPS (GOLDENEYE and PERFECT DARK) games since N64 , but the truth is that more and more previous genres are changed into FPP (Metroid) and with amazing results.This perspective allows for some fantastic creations , and storytelling (Half-Life 2).

I don' t think MMORPGS will appeal to as many ,as many love FPS though - but among RPG gamers - MMORPS will be the No1 pretty soon.
KiLLeR

• Total Posts : 314
RE: Are MMO' s the New FPS? - Feb 26, 2006 02:12
I don' t know gangsta. It seems that a lot of fps gamers, are liking games like warhammer and warcraft. Even CS players. I think mmofps is gonna be the next thing for fps multiplayer. if not the next, it will be a huge part of the industry. I don' t like the idea of having to play monthly fees either. Valve has it the best, fast servers and u only pay for the game.
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: Are MMO' s the New FPS? - Feb 26, 2006 02:13
FPS and RTS are in the same " era" ! Two different styles, and its not comparable. MMO' s is a new " thing" so its popular, and if you make it successfull you will be loaded for the rest of your life.
choupolo

• Total Posts : 1773
RE: Are MMO' s the New FPS? - Feb 26, 2006 02:32
Yea, I dont like the fact you' re not free to play the game when you wish. You have to play for that month and get the most from it.

Guild Wars was free to subscribe, but I' m not sure how they managed that one. Ultimately the subscriptions are about ongoing upkeep of central servers and bandwidth, as there' s a lot of players and content in most MMOGs, which doesn' t apply as much to 16 player DMs on Counter Strike etc where private servers are doing that work with funding from other sources.

It' d be interesting how Live subscriptions tie in with MMOG subs, cos you' d expect there to be some concession if you have to pay both. MS could invest in each game' s server costs with money coming from Live.
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: Are MMO' s the New FPS? - Feb 26, 2006 02:33
MMOs require lots of time so they' ll never be popular with casual gamers. Not that FPS is the best choice for them either but at least they don' t have to play it everyday. I' d like more MMOFPS games. " World of Counter-Strike" would be fun.
KiLLeR

• Total Posts : 314
RE: Are MMO' s the New FPS? - Feb 26, 2006 17:02
Two thumbs up for the idea ginjirou! I definitely wouldn' t mind something like that. I LOVE Counterstrike. Terrorists and Counter Ts, there could be so many options of what to make of the game. Valve should definitely think about this.
]GaNgStA[

• Total Posts : 2949
RE: Are MMO' s the New FPS? - Feb 26, 2006 20:28

FPS and RTS are in the same " era" !

You' ve missed my point - there was a time when RTS games where almost the only games that were played on PC' s just like FPS and MMORPG lately.

There were FPS games at that time and even before , but the genre wasn' t as huge then.

So hell no it' s not the same ERA in that meaning

PC gamers are treated one genre at a time with some rare exceptions :)

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll