Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Games on Vista.
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
Games on Vista. - Apr 22, 2007 07:55
Dont do it, Right now I just installed C&C3 and battlefeild 2 and neither of which played well at all, bf2 ran at about 7fps for 10 seconds before crashing, while C&C is an unplayable slow fps. I can run Oblivion/Medievil 2 just as I have done on Xp before. I dont get it. All of those games ran/would run well on xp.

But now I have made my mind up after this and will build my next computer. Maybe over the summer if I can afford it.
alijay034

• Total Posts : 1433
RE: Games on Vista. - Apr 22, 2007 08:46
What rating are you getting for BF2 against your machine rating? What is the spec of your machine? You are aware that Vista is very memory hungry.
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: Games on Vista. - Apr 22, 2007 09:27
I think you have a 6600gt, that combined with less than 2GB of Ram (assuming you have less than 2GB) will give you shitty performance with Vista.

I' m only getting Vista early 2008, after I have a quad core CPU, 4GB of RAM and an AMD HD 2900xt*.

Which by the way is expected to outperform an 8800GTX and cost only 399.99. AMD is getting third parties to help with manufacturing of their videocards, high end cards are going to be mass produced! We already have a huge price war with CPUs, get ready for a pricing battle with GPUs. Cheaper high end parts combined with a more aggressive retail strategy will give PC gaming a much need boost.
< Message edited by Agent Ghost -- 22 Apr 07 6:21:24 >
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: Games on Vista. - Apr 22, 2007 13:37
On that subject, don' t do anything but check your email with Vista. You need to sign a release form and a waiver before clicking on *anything* !!!

Really bums me out that Halo 2 is only hitting Vista though.
choupolo

• Total Posts : 1773
RE: Games on Vista. - Apr 22, 2007 14:52
Vista is rubbish for games at the moment. After new hardware is released like dx10 cards and quad-core CPUs etc, drivers and software will all be tuned and created more for Vista, and will obviously then run shit on XP.

We' re playing the waiting game basically. I' m not getting Vista until at least dedicated Vista games come out, which will be a while I' d imagine. Crysis is a start, but even that will be designed around both XP and Vista and therefore have to make some compromises...
Silentbomber

RE: Games on Vista. - Apr 22, 2007 20:56
Yeah but I dont get why Oblivion runs just as it did on xp. Surely its a more demanding game.

Yes agent i do have a 6600gt and 1.5gigs of ram. I am just going to create an Windows Xp duel boot so I can use that to play my games. I wonder how much hard drive space i need for that?

seeing that I only have about 15gigs of my 80gig [yes small] hdd left
< Message edited by Silentbomber -- 22 Apr 07 12:57:37 >
nekkid_monkey

• Total Posts : 818
RE: Games on Vista. - Apr 22, 2007 23:33

ORIGINAL: Silentbomber

I am just going to create an Windows Xp duel boot so I can use that to play my games.

I think you mean dual. Unless you want your two OS' s to have a one on one fight to the death.

How does Vista perform now, other than the game problems? Pretty stable or no?
I' ll probably wait for SP1 before I get it anyway, just like I did with XP.

alijay034

• Total Posts : 1433
RE: Games on Vista. - Apr 23, 2007 07:19
Unless you have a multi core processor with at least 2 gigs, it' s about as stable as Courtney Love without drugs, I have built a couple of machines with single core and 1Gb and they insisted on having a Vista upgrade and after 2 days they wanted Xp back on the machine.

XP is one of the most stablest OS' s I have come across.
Silentbomber

RE: Games on Vista. - Apr 23, 2007 08:48
Vista is stable, it has only ever crashed on me once, and in general most programs work with it.

You know the story with games. I find no real performace differance apart from the games. Which will be fixed in time.

Now i need to work on this xp partition. I know what to do, but is about 20gb enough for xp and a few games?

I think you mean dual. Unless you want your two OS' s to have a one on one fight to the death.

Now that would be amuseing. But without an Os that has a Monkey involved in it somehow, whats the point? i guess dual booting is what I will go for.
< Message edited by silentbomber -- 23 Apr 07 0:55:20 >
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: Games on Vista. - Apr 23, 2007 09:11

Now i need to work on this xp partition. I know what to do, but is about 20gb enough for xp and a few games?

No, That' s probably not even enough for XP alone.
Silentbomber

RE: Games on Vista. - Apr 24, 2007 01:54
Surely xp will fit on 20gbs. no matter, I was planning on buying a bigger hardrive soon anyway. I need it bad.
Abasoufiane

• Total Posts : 2127
RE: Games on Vista. - Apr 24, 2007 02:54
here is my opinion about vista;

Pentium D 805 (2.66 ghz dual core) ==== when i use intensive gaming i overclock it to 3.6 ghz (using zalman as a cooler)

Ram 1.5 go ddr2 533mhz
x800 xl 256 mb

with this configuration , vista run very smoothly, a little bit slow than xp , and i mean just little bit you barely notice it, and i had 1gb before and it was still really good for my desktop and all softwares EXCEPT games that needed 1gb on xp, that is Fear, condemned, oblivion etc... that' s why i added the 512mb, and now eveyrting is really fine , who the hell said that less than 2Gb is crap, STFU !! CRAP ?? do you know what is crap ?

However !There is huge problems with open GL games in vista specialy with my card, as far as i know nvidia cards don' t have this kind of problems in vista , it' s certainly a driver problem on ati side. Directx however run really good may be one or two less FPS than in XP.

some VERY few softwares have problems, specialy the ones related to converting videos, still those companies are updating their software and this problem is almost disappearing.

other than that , it' s superb , i love the interface, the dreamscene option, very stable well like xp , some neat features , i love the quick search thing (same as google desktop), better audio management, a better memory management, direct x 10 for future gaming, audio recognition (though it' s not accurate ) , not a major jump than xp (except for the directx10) but xp is a very good OS already, and this one is better.

now my version is the Vista ultimate. there you go. (running on vista for 2 months and half now) , i have dual boot with XP but it' s not the default OS.

M B

• Total Posts : 202
RE: Games on Vista. - Apr 24, 2007 03:08
Vista does not support OpenGL. Not really a problem for games because most use directx now, but glhf when it comes to 3D Modeling and Animation.
Abasoufiane

RE: Games on Vista. - Apr 24, 2007 03:20
No sir , it does support opengl, the support had improved since release i bet that the problem will totaly disapear in few months, as i said , and though i' m not sure about this one at 100% but nvidias only have minor problems with opengl in vista , even high end ati cards.

with my x800 xl, i can run doom 3 around 30% slower than in XP, if i enable aliasing the game totaly crash.
M B

• Total Posts : 202
RE: Games on Vista. - Apr 24, 2007 03:34
O rly? So its not like before where everything ran at 10% the speed it did on XP?
Abasoufiane

RE: Games on Vista. - Apr 24, 2007 03:37
may be you' re talking about early beta builds, then you are right, at a certain time of vista development , opengl was not supported .

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll