Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 COD4 Variety Map Pack Impressions
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
COD4 Variety Map Pack Impressions - Apr 05, 2008 18:10
So i downloaded the mappack yesterday, and have been chceking them out for a bit of time, I havent been through all maps yet, since it nearly always starts with Chinatown.

Chinatown: Chinatown is a neat looking map, its fairly big, with lots of indoor locations, you really have to watch your back in this one, since you can be shoot from praticly everywhere.
I like the map, its nearly impossible to camp and snipe so it keeps a nice flow in the game.

Broadcast: Broadcast is based on the tv station map from the single player campaign, its the only map thats based on a level from the game. Its a pretty big tv station, with an equal or bigger out door area, lots of the figting takes place outside.
The map looks good, and plays well as well.

Creek: Creek looks absolutely beautiful, its a sniper paradise though, i find it annoying running 3m when you spawn and then being shut, there are pathways to get around the map that are more safe, but its by far the most snipe friendly map in the game.
The times iv played it i always spawned at the same point, so im thinking maybe the spawn points are fixed. Edit: the spawn points arent fixed.

Edit: i cant seem to find killhouse
< Message edited by vx chemical -- 5 Apr 08 11:09:05 >
Ornodeal

• Total Posts : 645
RE: COD4 Variety Map Pack Impressions - Apr 06, 2008 06:58
I' ve only tried them one on one off-line so far, will be on-line tonight to play them for real.

I agree with you that Creek is going to be a camper/sniper paradise - not sure if this is going to be that fun overall - the actual locale of the map is great though it has a much different feel than any other map.

Chinatown looks promising - it worked as Carentan in the previous CoD and I can' t see any reason why it won' t work again.

Broadcast - The single player component of this map was great - this looks good too. Some obvious sniping points, but inside the tv station itself is going to be a lot of fun - not sure if some of the higher parts of the level are accessible by normal means, will be interesting to see if some can get to interesting areas.

Killhouse - this is going to be mad. Obviously designed for small groups but would love to see 12-16 player free for alls on it.
Vx Chemical

RE: COD4 Variety Map Pack Impressions - Apr 06, 2008 07:31

I agree with you that Creek is going to be a camper/sniper paradise - not sure if this is going to be that fun overall - the actual locale of the map is great though it has a much different feel than any other map.

Having played Creek a bit more, i have to say its really fun, especially once you learn your way around and can avoid sniper fire, you can rake up quite a féw kills. And its a lovely level to get a chopper in.
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: COD4 Variety Map Pack Impressions - Apr 07, 2008 02:57
Killhouse is a Team Tactical and Cage map only, so far as I know. Probably why you haven' t gotten into it yet VX.
Eddie_the_Hated

RE: COD4 Variety Map Pack Impressions - Apr 07, 2008 03:00
I' ll have them Thursday or Friday, by the way.
canadagamer

• Total Posts : 965
RE: COD4 Variety Map Pack Impressions - Apr 07, 2008 03:33
So far I am very impressed with the 4 maps. Creek so far has to be my favorite so far. Just like VX pointed out, this map is absolutely gorgeous. I really like the valley in the middle separating both sides, I was worried as well that this was just going to be a sniper haven, but it became clear early on how to go around and peg the snipers off.

Broadcast is a map in which the action is very fast paced. You can try to hold your position upstairs in the main lobby and peg people off as they try to come inside, but that doesn' t always work as their are numerous back way into the building. Unlike you VX, I haven' t played a lot of games on this map where the action took place outside. Majority of the games I have played the action was pretty much all inside.

Chinatown is an ok map. Most people seem to just go inside and find a room with a window to look out, which makes it pretty easy to come in behind them and put a knife in em. I believe this was a remake of an old Call of Duty 2 map if I am not mistaken, so it does seem a little familiar but IW have made enough changes to the map to make it new. My only complaint though, is unlike what VX said, I find that a lot of people try to hide in the buildings and snipe.

I have yet to play Killhouse, but I normally never play Team Tactical or Cage Match. IMHO Cage Match needs to be removed because most people use this map with the help of a friend to finish all of their challenges and level up quickly. Hence why you see a whole lot of people with a Gold Cross that obviously do not deserve it.
Ornodeal

RE: COD4 Variety Map Pack Impressions - Apr 07, 2008 05:40
Having played them (except killhouse) for real now, I can say that I love Broadcast - the fighting was good all round the area and suits different styles well.

Chinatown was pretty good although much of the fighting seems to centre around two adjacent buildings in the centre (and the spawn points seem to exacerbate this).

Creek was less of a snipe-fest than I imagined - there' s enough vegetation to make coverage of a large area from one vantage point difficult although it maybe because I suck at sniping it didn' t work too well. I maintain though a good sniper though will own this map.

Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: COD4 Variety Map Pack Impressions - Apr 08, 2008 16:25
Meh, these should have been free, and they should have arrived 3 months ago.
Vx Chemical

RE: COD4 Variety Map Pack Impressions - Apr 08, 2008 16:32

'

I agree with free
Ornodeal

RE: COD4 Variety Map Pack Impressions - Apr 08, 2008 17:01
I don' t think you' d find any sane person who would argue with having these for free. It was a little more than I would expect to pay for just for maps considering that they really only had to put effort into one of them (Creek).
Dagashi

• Total Posts : 987
RE: COD4 Variety Map Pack Impressions - Apr 09, 2008 15:55

I agree with free, especially Chinatown, considering it is a remake of a classic map.

I think they should have arrived about 2 or 3 weeks ago though, not months. Everyone I know who was a big CoD4 multiplayer fan has had their interest seriously dwindle in the last month, and these maps hit just in time. But they are certainly not good enough for $12.50 CDN, at least IMO.

Choke points and grenade fests aren' t my fav. I think Chinatown/Carentan are much better suited to a mouse/keyboard as well. You can get caught off guard too much with a pad in that kind of map.
Duffman

• Total Posts : 1096
RE: COD4 Variety Map Pack Impressions - Apr 09, 2008 23:44
I will never pay for extra maps. I just wait until they are free.
Eddie_the_Hated

RE: COD4 Variety Map Pack Impressions - Apr 14, 2008 02:45
I wanted to get some more in depth time in with the maps before I came to a conclusion. I' ve been playing the new maps for most of the weekend, and they' re most definitely a mixed bag.

Chinatown is an entertaining map, far better suited to smaller objective based games than larger battles. I actually wound up playing Ground War Domination on Chinatown this morning, talk about nucking futs. One guy racked up fifty kills, and forty deaths on the opposing team. I ended up sidling up to a couple corners with my golden shotty, and bandoleir equipped, and still ran out of shells. It' s solid, but not my favorite. Other than more open buildings, it' s a near-exact recreation of one of the best maps from the original Call of Duty.

Broadcast was the next map I put real time in. I' m still torn on this one. On the one hand, I like the fact that there' s another close-quarters map with some interior settings. On the other hand, it' s another middle-eastern level, which I' m tired of. It' s a map from the campaign, which makes it feel somewhat like I' ve played it before, and there are more than enough hidey-holes to turn it into a camp-centric map.

Killhouse is a heck of a lot of fun, but oddly doesn' t get tossed into the rotation very often, ignoring the fact that it' s only available in a select few modes. You can rack up a ten kill streak in the first minute if you' ve got the skills. If you enjoy FFA matches, this is the map for you, if only because every match you play feels like it' s FFA. Your head is constantly on a swivel looking for the next target, or the next threat.

Creek is far and above the best map in the pack. I would have payed half the whole download' s price for this map alone.

It' s really that good.

First things first. The map is huge. It' s best suited to either a ground-war match, or a 1v1-2v2 cagematch style sneak and shoot. The areas are diverse, everything from meadows to house clusters to hills to the rocky riverbed, and even a cave system underneath the massive hill that dominates the map. Be forewarned, you will die... a lot. Your K/D spread is absolute crap by the end of the match, but you' re having enough fun to make that a non-issue for everything but the most rabid of stat freaks.

If you' re a big CoD fan like myself, or have a few extra bucks lying around, I definitely suggest picking up these maps, if only for the super-awesome Creek, though in the end, it' s going to totally depend on how much time you put into COD4 multiplayer in the first place.
< Message edited by eddie_the_hated -- 13 Apr 08 18:47:01 >
Vx Chemical

RE: COD4 Variety Map Pack Impressions - Apr 14, 2008 02:48
Its impressive its taken so long to get 3 (4) maps out. Get to work Infinity Ward or people will migrate to other games
Eddie_the_Hated

RE: COD4 Variety Map Pack Impressions - Apr 15, 2008 00:50
Yeah, I' m already looking forward to their next map pack, which isn' t a good sign.

If they really wanted to blow Halo 3 out of the water, they would have allowed a user creation and upload system, with the best voted maps thrown into the rotation. It would keep the game fresh, and keep the maps new.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll