Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Easily Play Copy-Protected MP3' s on Your Ipod
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
Easily Play Copy-Protected MP3' s on Your Ipod - Oct 27, 2006 04:33
DVD Jon strikes again.

If you want to be specific - and for legal reasons, he does - Johansen has reverse-engineered FairPlay, the encryption technology Apple (Charts) uses to make the iPod a closed system. Right now, thanks to FairPlay, the songs Apple sells at its iTunes store cannot easily be played on other devices, and copy-protected songs purchased from other sites will not play on the iPod. (The iPod will play MP3 files, which do not have any copy protection, but major labels don' t sell music in that format.)

Johansen has written programs that get around those restrictions: one that would let other companies sell copy-protected songs that play on the iPod, and another that would let other devices play iTunes songs. Starting this fall, his new company, DoubleTwist, will license them to anyone who wants to get into the digital-music business - and doesn' t mind getting hate mail from Cupertino.

My opinion, I think the guy is awesome. He did something amazing with DeCSS, so hopefully this will leach onto the net soon.
< Message edited by eddie_the_hated -- 4 Nov 06 1:12:24 >

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message