Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Time for an episode of Good idea vs. Bad idea.
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
Time for an episode of Good idea vs. Bad idea. - Jul 10, 2007 13:06
Good idea: Running " CleanMy PC" to clean your registry. It takes 20 seconds and your computer will run noticably faster and will possibly fix a few annoying problems. This feature of the software works just as advertised.

Bad idea: Using the same software, to defrag your registry. Now I don' t pretend to be an expert with software, infact I' m terrible with software. I understand any piece of hardware inside and out but software drives me nuts. So for anyone here as novice with this aspect of computers as I am I would like to express that defragging your registry is not a smart idea. Infact it' s a very bad idea.

Pressing the button " defrag registry" was like a self annihilate button for my computer. It too less than 10 seconds for this button to brick my computer. First my computer froze, Which wasn' t too bad in itself. However when I rebooted my computer I recieved the messege from Hell.

It was something about \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM file missing or currupt. Apparently this file is important because without it you can' t do a god damn thing with your computer. I wasn' t able to go into windows.

I went in the command console and tried the chkdsk /p trick which did nothing for me. Then I tried to input some commands that was supposed to reinstall that specific file from the startup CD. Except I couldn' t freaking input the commands because french keyboards don' t have BACKSLASH!, I can get Backslash to work in a word document but not in the command prompts. My computer did not want to detect any other keyboard other than the one already there.

Well I don' t have any patients for this sort of shit. Being utterly defeated by a ***ing file, I decided to reformat my HDD and reinstall Windows XP. I' m not sure how long it took to reformat my HDD but it was a few hours easy.

So I' m choosing the settings in the windows installer and I' m relieved not to be staring at a black screen. At this point things are looking up, I' ll reinstall all my shit and even though this can take a week at least it will work. This feeling quickly dissipated when I came to the point where it asks me for my product key. Hmm, what did I do with that damn sticker? Oh yeah, I threw it out...***.

So now I' m here on the family computer[:' (], waiting for my copy of Windows Vista in the mail.

Moral of the story: If you feel the need to defrag your registry, don' t.
< Message edited by Agent Ghost -- 10 Jul 07 5:09:12 >

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message