Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Cuba Unveils National Linux Distro - Bans Windows
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 21
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
Cuba Unveils National Linux Distro - Bans Windows - Feb 19, 2009 23:22

...Because nothing embodies GNU GPL better than forcing your constituents to use your governmentally mandated OS.

11 million cubans unable to access NTFS partitions at the LINK
immortaldanmx

• Total Posts : 2966
Re:Cuba Unveils National Linux Distro - Bans Windows - Feb 20, 2009 00:44
Eddie_the_Hated

...Because nothing embodies GNU GPL better than forcing your constituents to use your governmentally mandated OS.

11 million cubans unable to do anything with their computers at the LINK

Fixed.
mastachefbkw

• Total Posts : 3793
Re:Cuba Unveils National Linux Distro - Bans Windows - Feb 20, 2009 00:51
Cuba= pwnd.
emofag

• Total Posts : 1508
Re:Cuba Unveils National Linux Distro - Bans Windows - Feb 20, 2009 01:23
I don't see how the average cuban can even afford Windows or  new computer hardware in the first place, it would seem to me that they buy refurbished/used oem lots which already have windows preinstalled in the first place, I can see them being able to distribute that if they buy in mass scale, many companies in poor countries do it.

I mean even in the US most people never actually buy an OS, it comes with the PC.  The cubans would have to strip the OS and install linux over it, I don't think they are in the capacity of buying brand new hardware to build from scratch themselves.
<message edited by emofag on Feb 20, 2009 01:33>
immortaldanmx

Re:Cuba Unveils National Linux Distro - Bans Windows - Feb 20, 2009 02:09
emofag

I don't see how the average cuban can even afford Windows or  new computer hardware in the first place, it would seem to me that they buy refurbished/used oem lots which already have windows preinstalled in the first place, I can see them being able to distribute that if they buy in mass scale, many companies in poor countries do it.

I mean even in the US most people never actually buy an OS, it comes with the PC.  The cubans would have to strip the OS and install linux over it, I don't think they are in the capacity of buying brand new hardware to build from scratch themselves.

Now this thread will consist of people crying about how Cuba is not backwards and shitty.
Zarathustra

• Total Posts : 140
Re:Cuba Unveils National Linux Distro - Bans Windows - Feb 20, 2009 08:22
Yeah. I mean, it's bad enough that they had a revolution to become communist, in the first place.
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
Re:Cuba Unveils National Linux Distro - Bans Windows - Feb 20, 2009 10:25
If I had a choice between visiting Cuba or the US I would pick Cuba 9 times out of 10.
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
Re:Cuba Unveils National Linux Distro - Bans Windows - Feb 20, 2009 18:11
Agent Ghost

If I had a choice between visiting Cuba or the US I would pick Cuba 9 times out of 10.

until you actually go there and realize how shitty it is

mastachefbkw

• Total Posts : 3793
Re:Cuba Unveils National Linux Distro - Bans Windows - Feb 20, 2009 20:48

Fail troll is fail.
<message edited by mastachefbkw on Feb 20, 2009 20:50>
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
Re:Cuba Unveils National Linux Distro - Bans Windows - Feb 21, 2009 02:57
I believe Iad is the only one of us that has been. I don't remember Majik ever mentioning it anyhow.
immortaldanmx

Re:Cuba Unveils National Linux Distro - Bans Windows - Feb 21, 2009 04:16
Eddie_the_Hated

I believe Iad is the only one of us that has been. I don't remember Majik ever mentioning it anyhow.

Thats because he has the tendency to visit civilized countries.
choupolo

• Total Posts : 1773
Re:Cuba Unveils National Linux Distro - Bans Windows - Feb 21, 2009 15:27
I'd certainly like Linux to expand, but not by law!

Microsoft got there first and there needs to be a standard of course, so good for them.  But such a monopoly is surely unhealthy for everyone else.
Zarathustra

Re:Cuba Unveils National Linux Distro - Bans Windows - Feb 21, 2009 17:52
Agent Ghost

If I had a choice between visiting Quebec or Ontario, I would pick Quebec 9 times out of 10.
Agent Ghost

Re:Cuba Unveils National Linux Distro - Bans Windows - Feb 21, 2009 18:15

If I had a choice between visiting Quebec or Ontario, I would pick Quebec 9 times out of 10.

Fail. I live in Quebec numb nut.  I was born in Ottawa but I've been living in Quebec since I was five.  I may decide to settle down here or I may decide to move to Ottawa or maybe further.  It's not that different it's only 15 minutes away, in the same country.  It's not like there's a big culture shock or anything.  The only real difference is that in Ontario as with most of Canada the dominant language is English where as in Quebec it's mostly French.  The exception is the region I live in where it's pretty much even.  Most people are bilingual here including myself.  So I'm comfortable on either side.  The areas of Canada where I would not want to live in are the Northern Territories, those are useless. 
Zarathustra

Re:Cuba Unveils National Linux Distro - Bans Windows - Feb 21, 2009 19:32
Agent Ghost

Fail. I live in Quebec numb nut.  I was born in Ottawa but I've been living in Quebec since I was five.  I may decide to settle down here or I may decide to move to Ottawa or maybe further.  It's not that different it's only 15 minutes away, in the same country.  It's not like there's a big culture shock or anything.  The only real difference is that in Ontario as with most of Canada the dominant language is English where as in Quebec it's mostly French.  The exception is the region I live in where it's pretty much even.  Most people are bilingual here including myself.  So I'm comfortable on either side.  The areas of Canada where I would not want to live in are the Northern Territories, those are useless. 

How was that fail? I was being honest with what I said. I honestly would not mind living somewhere like Gary, Indiana(Google it, then go to images, you'll see why lol), anyways, either Gary, Indiana, or Queens, or hell, even Toronto or Ottawa.
emofag

• Total Posts : 1508
Re:Cuba Unveils National Linux Distro - Bans Windows - Feb 21, 2009 20:28
When you're visiting a country as a tourist it really doesn't matter how shitty the country is, tourist areas are meant for tourists, if they weren't great then no tourists would show.  But as far as living there, I would never live in Cuba.
Agent Ghost

Re:Cuba Unveils National Linux Distro - Bans Windows - Feb 21, 2009 20:40
Neither would I.
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
Re:Cuba Unveils National Linux Distro - Bans Windows - Feb 21, 2009 21:31
USA wins.
immortaldanmx

Re:Cuba Unveils National Linux Distro - Bans Windows - Feb 21, 2009 22:20
choupolo

I'd certainly like Linux to expand, but not by law!

Microsoft got there first and there needs to be a standard of course, so good for them.  But such a monopoly is surely unhealthy for everyone else.

There is no monopoly. There are other choices (Linux, Crapple). The reason windows dominates by the large amount is its easier to use(beating Linux) and compatible with all software and hardware(beating apple).
choupolo

• Total Posts : 1773
Re:Cuba Unveils National Linux Distro - Bans Windows - Feb 22, 2009 14:33
Sure, I mean I've never adopted OS X or Linux for any of my machines since games have always run best on Windows.  I just meant monopoly in that Windows is actually so universal by demand.

It'd just be nice to have a choice especially for gaming, some competition that might cater specifically to gamers - the ability to run a nice looking but less 'heavy' OS dedicated towards making games perform better. 

Eg. I'm loathe to adopt MS' Games for Windows initiative, just because I don't have any other choice.
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 21

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message