Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Microsoft Records record profits, xbox division still losing money
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 30
Terrak

• Total Posts : 783
Microsoft Records record profits, xbox division still losing money - Apr 28, 2007 08:11
http://www.microsoft.com/msft/earnings/FY07/earn_rel_q3_07.mspx

http://www.firingsquad.com/news/newsarticle.asp?searchid=15255

Unfortunately, the company' s Entertainment and Devices Division (where their Xbox console business is located) continues to lose money. The division brought in $929 million in revenue for the quarter compared to $1.182 billion for the same period a year ago and an overall loss of $315 million for the quarter compared to a loss of $402 million from the same period a year ago.

Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: Microsoft Records record profits, xbox division still losing money - Apr 28, 2007 08:24
They make $5BN per quarter so who gives a fuck?

What' s with all these figure orientated threads? They belong on NeoGAF, not here.
Terrak

• Total Posts : 783
RE: Microsoft Records record profits, xbox division still losing money - Apr 28, 2007 09:01
Well it does question whether a price drop for the 360 is on the cards. It was widely speculated on these forums, but with this announcement i think it will probably be around the time ps3 drops in price (obviously), so not for a while.

Yes the xbox division can continue to lose billions and microsoft won' t even feel it but at some point you would imagine microsoft would want there Entertainment and device division to make a profit.
Nitro

RE: Microsoft Records record profits, xbox division still losing money - Apr 28, 2007 09:10
Who cares?

As long as we get games i don' t i' ve a damn what any of them are earning, except when there is some sort of direct relevance to it like when Sony had to take out a loan for the first time in over a decade.

There will be a price drop for fall, that' s something that doesn' t need confirmation.
Virtua fighter 5

• Total Posts : 1327
RE: Microsoft Records record profits, xbox division still losing money - Apr 28, 2007 10:10

Unfortunately, the company' s Entertainment and Devices Division (where their Xbox console business is located) continues to lose money. The division brought in $929 million in revenue for the quarter compared to $1.182 billion for the same period a year ago and an overall loss of $315 million for the quarter compared to a loss of $402 million from the same period a year ago.

Dam, lucky MS have as much money as they do.
immortaldanmx

• Total Posts : 2966
RE: Microsoft Records record profits, xbox division still losing money - Apr 29, 2007 00:56

at some point you would imagine microsoft would want there Entertainment and device division to make a profit.

Theyve already stated that they are willing to lose money to gain lead in the market.
Virtua fighter 5

RE: Microsoft Records record profits, xbox division still losing money - Apr 29, 2007 01:54

Yes the xbox division can continue to lose billions and microsoft won' t even feel it but at some point you would imagine microsoft would want there Entertainment and device division to make a profit.

Great point.
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: Microsoft Records record profits, xbox division still losing money - Apr 29, 2007 02:37
I' m sure Bill Gates cries himself to sleep knowing his gaming division is losing money. Poor guy. Quick, someone put him on suicide watch.
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: Microsoft Records record profits, xbox division still losing money - Apr 29, 2007 03:48
This proves that MS in in this for the joy of games and not the money. They ask what we want, deliver it, and gives us some of it for free. How nice.

Nintendo makes lots of profit from day one by selling their " cheap" console, along with their " cheap" games. Gamecube 1.5 and ports can' t be very expensive to make but they' re selling those things as they cost as much as HD products.

Sony are trying to tell us what we want. Those bastards! You want Blu-ray, not games. You want 1080p even though you don' t have a 1080p TV.

Long live Microsoft and their loads of money!!!!!!
Dagashi

• Total Posts : 987
RE: Microsoft Records record profits, xbox division still losing money - Apr 29, 2007 06:16

You want Blu-ray, not games. You want 1080p even though you don' t have a 1080p TV.

Yes, BluRay is being trojan horsed by them, but the games part is dumb. Compare the ps3 lineup to the 360' s was this far into its life span and you have your answer, and both systems have great games on the way. As for 1080p, both companies are guilty of pushing HD gaming too much. I don' t care though, I was extremely tired of playing consoles on SDTV' s in the last generation, and the main reason I' ve been pulled away from my PC this gen is the fact that the resolution is finally up to par.
< Message edited by Dagashi -- 28 Apr 07 22:17:43 >
Nitro

RE: Microsoft Records record profits, xbox division still losing money - Apr 29, 2007 06:49
(32) Games available for PS3 so far (bolded games available on 360 before or simultaneously):

* Armored Core 4
* Blazing Angels: Squadrons of WWII
* Call of Duty 3
* College Hoops 2K7
* Def Jam: Icon
* The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
* Enchanted Arms
* F.E.A.R.
* Fight Night Round 3
* Formula One Championship Edition
* Full Auto 2: Battlelines
* Genji: Days of the Blade
* The Godfather: The Don' s Edition
* Madden NFL 07
* Major League Baseball 2K7
* Marvel: Ultimate Alliance
* Mobile Suit Gundam: Crossfire
* MotorStorm
* NBA 07
* NBA 2K7
* NBA Street: Homecourt
* Need For Speed: Carbon
* NHL 2K7
* Resistance: Fall of Man
* Ridge Racer 7
* Sonic the Hedgehog
* Tiger Woods PGA Tour 07
* Tom Clancy' s Splinter Cell: Double Agent
* Tony Hawk' s Project 8
* Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom
* Virtua Fighter 5
* Virtua Tennis 3

(38) Games available on 360 and the same point in it' s life:

* Amped 3
* Call of Duty 2
* Condemned: Criminal Origins
* FIFA Soccer 06 Road to 2006 FIFA World Cup
* GUN
* Kameo: Elements of Power
* Madden NFL 06
* NBA 2K6
* NBA LIVE 06
* Need for Speed Most Wanted
* NHL 2K6
* Perfect Dark Zero
* Peter Jackson' s King Kong
* Project Gotham Racing 3
* Quake 4
* Ridge Racer 6
* Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 06
* Tony Hawk' s American Wasteland
* Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter
* Fight Night Round 3
* Dead or Alive 4
* 2006 FIFA World Cup
* Battlefield 2: Modern Combat
* Burnout Revenge
* Championship Manager 2007
* College Hoops 2K6
* Dynasty Warriors 5 Empires
* Far Cry Instincts Predator
* Final Fantasy XI
* Football Manager 2006
* Full Auto
* Major League Baseball 2K6
* The Outfit
* Rumble Roses XX
* Tomb Raider: Legend
* Top Spin 2
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: Microsoft Records record profits, xbox division still losing money - Apr 29, 2007 06:58

ORIGINAL: Dagashi

You want Blu-ray, not games. You want 1080p even though you don' t have a 1080p TV.

Yes, BluRay is being trojan horsed by them, but the games part is dumb. Compare the ps3 lineup to the 360' s was this far into its life span and you have your answer, and both systems have great games on the way. As for 1080p, both companies are guilty of pushing HD gaming too much. I don' t care though, I was extremely tired of playing consoles on SDTV' s in the last generation, and the main reason I' ve been pulled away from my PC this gen is the fact that the resolution is finally up to par.

I thought it was quite obvious that I wasn' t really serious when I wrote that post. But if you want to debate what I wrote in that post then please, feel free to do so
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: Microsoft Records record profits, xbox division still losing money - Apr 29, 2007 07:38
ya think Microsoft would increase the build quailty of the 360 since money is no object....
Evil Man

• Total Posts : 1441
RE: Microsoft Records record profits, xbox division still losing money - Apr 29, 2007 08:18

ORIGINAL: Nitro

(32) Games available for PS3 so far (bolded games available on 360 before or simultaneously):

* Armored Core 4
* Call of Duty 3
* College Hoops 2K7
* Def Jam: Icon
* Enchanted Arms
* F.E.A.R.
* Fight Night Round 3
* Formula One Championship Edition
* Full Auto 2: Battlelines
* Genji: Days of the Blade
* The Godfather: The Don' s Edition
* Madden NFL 07
* Major League Baseball 2K7
* Marvel: Ultimate Alliance
* Mobile Suit Gundam: Crossfire
* MotorStorm
* NBA 07
* NBA 2K7
* NBA Street: Homecourt
* Need For Speed: Carbon
* NHL 2K7
* Resistance: Fall of Man
* Ridge Racer 7
* Sonic the Hedgehog
* Tiger Woods PGA Tour 07
* Tom Clancy' s Splinter Cell: Double Agent
* Tony Hawk' s Project 8
* Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom
* Virtua Fighter 5
* Virtua Tennis 3

(38) Games available on 360 and the same point in it' s life:

* Amped 3
* Call of Duty 2
* Condemned: Criminal Origins
* FIFA Soccer 06 Road to 2006 FIFA World Cup
* GUN
* Kameo: Elements of Power
* Madden NFL 06
* NBA 2K6
* NBA LIVE 06
* Need for Speed Most Wanted
* NHL 2K6
* Perfect Dark Zero
* Peter Jackson' s King Kong
* Project Gotham Racing 3
* Quake 4
* Ridge Racer 6
* Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 06
* Tony Hawk' s American Wasteland
* Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter
* Fight Night Round 3
* Dead or Alive 4
* 2006 FIFA World Cup
* Battlefield 2: Modern Combat
* Burnout Revenge
* Championship Manager 2007
* College Hoops 2K6
* Dynasty Warriors 5 Empires
* Far Cry Instincts Predator
* Final Fantasy XI
* Football Manager 2006
* Full Auto
* Major League Baseball 2K6
* The Outfit
* Rumble Roses XX
* Tomb Raider: Legend
* Top Spin 2

Why don' t you bold the games that were also out on PC & Even PS2 on your 2nd list?
Virtua fighter 5

RE: Microsoft Records record profits, xbox division still losing money - Apr 29, 2007 10:31

ya think Microsoft would increase the build quailty of the 360 since money is no object....

Ha ha ha.. Very True.
mastachefbkw

• Total Posts : 3793
RE: Microsoft Records record profits, xbox division still losing money - Apr 29, 2007 12:56

Okay, i know for the last eight months or so it has been funny to down the quality of the 360, but its rather old now, move on. Im sure the quality cant be that bad since recently.
Dagashi

• Total Posts : 987
RE: Microsoft Records record profits, xbox division still losing money - Apr 29, 2007 17:05

Okay, i know for the last eight months or so it has been funny to down the quality of the 360, but its rather old now, move on. Im sure the quality cant be that bad since recently.

I wish the build quality wasn' t an issue, I truly do. However, my brothers roomate got a 360 at christmas and it decided to hit the bricks last week. It' s under warranty of course, but I was suprised to see such a recent purchase break. He played Gears and GRAW1&2 a ton, but it also had great ventilation so I would hope that would be a non-issue.
mastachefbkw

• Total Posts : 3793
RE: Microsoft Records record profits, xbox division still losing money - Apr 30, 2007 00:53
Im just saying that its pretty boring to go into a forum and everytime someone mentions the 360 or ps3 the first thing they say is " Maybe it wont break" Or " its built worse than a toaster" Getting pretty old.
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: Microsoft Records record profits, xbox division still losing money - Apr 30, 2007 01:08
yeah but your not going to hear the end of it, just like the ps3' s price and the wii' s lack of everything.
Nitro

RE: Microsoft Records record profits, xbox division still losing money - Apr 30, 2007 01:44
Ironic how they' re using the cheapest components to build them and yet still losing tons of money on each one sold.
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 30

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message