Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 How' s Sony doing?
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 33
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
How' s Sony doing? - Oct 16, 2007 16:02
gamesindustry.biz

features is like watching a pilot throwing out cargo to lighten the load
before takeoff.

The problem is, of course, that the one feature responsible for the bulk of the PS3' s cost... the Blu-ray drive...is the one piece of hardware they cannot get rid of. It' s the engine, if you will. So, Sony is forced to instead eliminate features it once touted as important.

Backwards compatibility, which may have had more than a little to do with the early success of the PS2, is the latest feature to be jettisoned in the new 40GB console announced for Europe and Japan...and also expected for North America.

Dropping the PS2 Graphics Synthesizer chip, as well as two of the four USB ports, apparently saves Sony enough money to justify pricing the latest US version of their console at $399.99.

There is no question that the new price tag makes the PS3 more attractive to those who might have balked at the original asking price, and it also brings the PS3 closer in line to its competition. In fact, with the 20GB Xbox 360 Pro now priced at $349.99, the extra $50 could easily be justified by the PS3' s Blu-ray capabilities, not to mention a hard drive which is twice as large.

The loss of backwards compatibility, however, represents some unexpected turbulence.

At first glance, one can almost agree with Sony' s newfound belief that backwards compatibility isn' t important. After all, it isn' t difficult for people to keep a PS2 hooked up to the same television set. It is also hard to point to a single PS2 title that the majority of PS3 owners would demand to play on their new console. And, while it may have caused some grumblings among hardcore gamers, incomplete backwards compatibility didn' t adversely affect sales of the Xbox 360.

In fact, prior to the debut of the PlayStation 2, you would have to go back to the mid-1980' s (with the Atari 7800) to find a videogame console that featured backwards compatibility out of the box. It simply wasn' t considered an important feature.

For those people who have dumped their old consoles long ago, publishers have already been able to provide NES, SNES, N64, Genesis, TurboGrafx and PS One titles for download to the latest generation of consoles. Thanks to broadband, and the availability of larger hard drives, it may even one day be possible for the most recent generation (Xbox, PS2) titles to be made available for download via Xbox Live or the PlayStation Network...although, at this point, the download time would be almost unbearable.

So what benefits does backwards compatibility offer?

Backwards compatibility might encourage brand loyalty. A family with a decent library of PlayStation games and controllers may feel better about their investment, knowing that their existing software and accessories won' t have to be abandoned so quickly if they stay with Sony for the next generation.

Backwards compatibility also might encourage consumers to purchase a new console earlier than they might have otherwise, since they know they will be able to play their last-generation titles while waiting for new software to arrive. This is especially important for consoles whose launch titles have been somewhat disappointing.

Let' s face it--so far, there really haven' t been that many PS3 titles worth playing. The system has yet to see a title achieve both critical acclaim and commercial success to the same extent as a Gears of War or a Halo 3. Some anticipated exclusives, such as Lair, have performed poorly, while games such as Heavenly Sword and Warhawk have received average reviews at best. The recent delays of Unreal Tournament 3, a timed exclusive, and GTA IV, which is multiplatform, aren' t helpful to PS3 sales either.

Things may change in the near future with the release of Ratchet & Clank Future and Uncharted: Drake' s Fortune, but the fact remains that Sony has never had the likes of a Halo or Zelda title to sell its consoles. While it does have many successful first-party franchises (Gran Turismo, Jak & Daxter, Sly Cooper, SOCOM), Sony has generally relied upon strong third-party support...support which is not yet forthcoming in this generation due to the PS3' s smaller installed base.

That, of course, is the " Catch 22" that Sony finds itself in: people won' t buy the PS3 until there is an attractive software library, but third-parties won' t create an attractive software library until more people buy a PS3.

To Sony' s credit, it has been hard at work trying to resolve both sides of this conundrum. It slashed the price of the PS3 only eight months after the US launch--not an easy thing to do considering how much money it already lost on each console sold. It has settled the case with Immersion, and has slated several key titles for a holiday release...although, frankly, this would have been better news last year.

While Sony certainly sold a number of PS3 consoles to videophiles as Blu-ray players, and will likely do so again with the latest price drop, it is questionable whether or not this group will ever purchase a significant amount of software. And Sony' s cut of a $30 Blu-ray movie is surely less than its take on a $60 PS3 game.

As has always been the case, consumers purchase videogame consoles based upon the games that the machine can play. Since the perception is that the PS3 is currently lacking in this regard, backwards compatibility arguably becomes even more important.

It is therefore surprising that Sony has made the decision to eliminate this feature in order to further reduce the price of the PS3. They seem to be gambling that potential PS3 customers are willing to forego backwards compatibility in order to save a hundred dollars. But are they? After all, gamers who didn' t bite at the last $100 decrease are likely to still be playing PS2 games...which are now no longer recognized by the new console.

Whether or not Sony' s latest gamble pays off, its decision has resulted in a confusing mix of SKUs and a possible customer relations problem over PS2 games that will work (20GB; 60GB), may or may not work (80GB) or definitely will not work (40GB) on a PS3.

Alternatively raising and lowering the capacity of the included hard drive and eliminating features once considered important gives the impression that Sony has no overall flight plan, but is making this up as they go along.

It isn' t too late for PS3 sales to soar. The only question is, in its attempt to lighten the load, has Sony jettisoned the parachute?

Now i myself wouldnt mind getting a 40gb, i dont think id go back playing PS2 titles, especially since i dont own a single one. But i can see the trouble in the move they have made, especially for parents who are buying for their younger kids.
< Message edited by vx chemical -- 16 Oct 07 8:03:59 >
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: How' s Sony doing? - Oct 16, 2007 16:16
Sony will own 2008.
Vx Chemical

RE: How' s Sony doing? - Oct 16, 2007 16:52
Game vise ? or console vise?

When people arent buying consoles, there arent anyone to buy games either. Id like Sony to get back in the game.
Nitro

RE: How' s Sony doing? - Oct 16, 2007 17:28

ORIGINAL: Vx Chemical

Game vise ? or console vise?

Both.

Until 360 got Gears the software library consisted of a few kickass games and a shitload of lame ports. So far PS3 has got a few kickass games and a shitload of lame ports. It' s selling, but slowly. When the better games (UTIII, Uncharted, Ratchet & Clank, GT5, Metal Gear 4, etc...) arrive then sales will pick up.

PS2' s system sellers were the GTA, Final Fantasy and Gran Turismo games, and while they' ve lost GTA exclusivity (timed or otherwise) i expect new IP' s like Uncharted to pick up the slack.
Vx Chemical

RE: How' s Sony doing? - Oct 16, 2007 17:34
But the main appeal of the PS3 isnt its big sexy franchises that cool guys like you and I enjoy. But rather the easy to go to games that parents might buy for their kids.

Those are the people who easily get lured in my commercials and media publicity. And right now those people are buying the Wii
Nitro

RE: How' s Sony doing? - Oct 16, 2007 17:52
You mean the people who buy the Buzz! The Big Quiz and EyeToy games???

Those people likely won' t be buying a PS3 until it' s had at least another $100 pricedrop. PS2 didn' t have those games this early in it' s life and sales were steady but not stellar for it' s first 18 months. Then the price was slashed and sales rocketed.

If PS3 is still struggling in another 9-12 months then Sony need to start worrying. personlly i don' t think it' ll come to that.
Vx Chemical

RE: How' s Sony doing? - Oct 16, 2007 17:58
Yeah maybe. Well i hope some of their big games turn out well, unlike Lair. Another Lair would be really really bad!
Gaiden BLACK

• Total Posts : 675
RE: How' s Sony doing? - Oct 16, 2007 19:52

Until 360 got Gears the software library consisted of a few kickass games and a shitload of lame ports. So far PS3 has got a few kickass games and a shitload of lame ports. It' s selling, but slowly. When the better games (UTIII, Uncharted, Ratchet & Clank, GT5, Metal Gear 4, etc...) arrive then sales will pick up.

AMEN
2pac

• Total Posts : 1032
RE: How' s Sony doing? - Oct 16, 2007 20:37
But with the ps2 , the difference was the original xbox wasnt doin too good back then . I will not say 360 is doing very good but it aint bad either , so the ps3 has genuine competition this time around .
Tiz

• Total Posts : 3158
RE: How' s Sony doing? - Oct 16, 2007 21:12
So, they settled the deal with Immersion...

Didn' t Microsoft buy shares in Immerson as well?

Just remembering that' s all.
Zoy

• Total Posts : 1703
RE: How' s Sony doing? - Oct 17, 2007 01:53
I agree that things look a lot better for the PS3 on the software side in 2008. However, I think that the next three months are the real make-or-break time for this console sales-wise. If it doesn' t sell very well this holiday season, it' s just going to be an " ain' t it a shame?" situation -- a console that essentially croaks prematurely just as its real power is being tapped with some excellent games, as developers will have lost all confidence in their ability to make a return on their investment.

You all might disagree with my timeframe -- maybe you think holiday 2008 is the real last chance for the PS3 to make a big impact, but my perspective is that right now is the defining crisis period for the continued viability of this platform. Ratchet & Clank might be Sony' s best shot this holiday to attract an expanded base, with its great all-ages appeal.

PS2 didn' t have those games this early in it' s life and sales were steady but not stellar for it' s first 18 months. Then the price was slashed and sales rocketed.

I' d be interested to see a graph or some numbers comparing the two in this timeframe. I think the PS2 must have been doing better in Japan than the PS3 currently is, but that' s just my gut feeling.
Dagashi

• Total Posts : 987
RE: How' s Sony doing? - Oct 17, 2007 01:58

Yeah maybe. Well i hope some of their big games turn out well, unlike Lair. Another Lair would be really really bad!

I rented Lair, thinking it would be good enough for a couple hours of play at least right? Wrong, the game is so terrible on so many levels. Factor Five really shit the bed on this one and should be extremely ashamed of themselves.

IMO they owe Sony another game, a good one. I just can' t believe what many thought was a " good" developer turned out this steaming pile. Makes you wonder how they could release something that is so clearly a terrible game.
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: How' s Sony doing? - Oct 17, 2007 01:59
as usual I agree with majik, ps3 will pick up and sony know it.

Dont worry about that ps2 stuff on the 40gb, there is no real reason why it cant be done so I am sure someone will think of something.

altough I dont expect any ps3 games untill mgs4 to be as big as gears and halo 3.
< Message edited by silentbomber -- 16 Oct 07 18:00:56 >
Vx Chemical

RE: How' s Sony doing? - Oct 17, 2007 02:45
MGS wont be as big as either gears of war or halo 3, its more niche, and doesnt hold the same general appeal.

I might be wrong though, im not saying MGS breaking records like GoW or H3, though it might break most sold on the PS3, but that doesnt require a lot yet!
Marink

• Total Posts : 884
RE: How' s Sony doing? - Oct 17, 2007 04:29
Sony are doing terribly this year, but next year seems like it will be Sony' s year indeed. This year it was Microsoft. Maybe Ninty will have 2009... ?

Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: How' s Sony doing? - Oct 17, 2007 04:38
Slow start, strong finish. Two years from now they' ll be kicking ass. It' s inevitable. The price drop will help as will more software, as will the continued transition to HD TV. Pretty soon the Japs will be all over the thing, it just needs an FF game, GT and MGS4.

Anyone who thinks the PS3 will not surpass the 360 eventually is out of their mind. Or they just don' t understand the market.
< Message edited by Agent Ghost -- 16 Oct 07 20:38:56 >
Vx Chemical

RE: How' s Sony doing? - Oct 17, 2007 04:58

Anyone who thinks the PS3 will not surpass the 360 eventually is out of their mind. Or they just don' t understand the market.

I think its going to be very very close this time around, though the Wii will take the loot, the scraps will be left for sony and ms squabble about.
mikayd2

• Total Posts : 1129
RE: How' s Sony doing? - Oct 17, 2007 08:27

I agree I got a 360 and I just don’t like the thing its just not my type of system the one and only game I got is halo 3 I have no intention on getting any other game for the 360 . But I can say that am happy with my ps3 I just wish they had better games.

I the type of guy that says gears of war sucks. I really dont like those type of cover and shoot games. I love run & blow them up games.
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: How' s Sony doing? - Oct 17, 2007 09:07
who the *** cares what sonybots thinks?

2008 is a year with Fable2,Lost odyssey,banjo kazooie,GTA4,Fallout3,Ninja gaiden2,Alan wake,kingdom under fire circle of doom,splinter cell5,Ut3,infinity undiscovery,war of conflict ,Too human,Halo wars,DMC4 and probably GoW 2 anjd ofc MS should have some great hidden game to announce at 08.

Who gives a shit if lots of them are multiplattform,as long as there is plenty of great games on the 360,you wont see people pay for an expensive ps3.

Just to play ***ing MGS4 ,lol.
< Message edited by quezcatol -- 17 Oct 07 1:31:46 >
Dionysius

• Total Posts : 831
RE: How' s Sony doing? - Oct 17, 2007 09:40

kingdom under fire circle of doom

Was that a joke?

Anyways, I just can' t believe how many great games are being released jsut now, even more so I cannot believe that the genre I had forsaken since the age of 14 have so many Bestest games comming. I jsut keep getting blown away one game after another. First Bioshock came and I thought all other games would have a though battle beating this for Game of the year, then I Halo 3 came and once again thought this was the def Game of the Year, later I tested CoD 4 and thought, maybe there was a game that could best Halo 3 on multiplayer, lastly I bought Orange Box and I honestly think they R the Games of the Year. Even though Half Life 2 is 3 years old now, I still think it beats all other great games I' ve played so far this year, combined with Portal (this years most original game, and the most orignal puzzle game since forever), as well TF2 (which challanges both CoD4 and Halo 3 as this years best multiplayer experiance), and Ep 1 (which is great), as well as Ep 2 which has a near flawless FPS gaming experience. And to think this year started slow.

Also, today I pre-ordered 4 games, they are:

Crysis
Metroid Prime 3
Mass Effect
Uncharted: Drakes Fortune

All which I await with equal anticipation. Question is if any of them will best Orange Box, all seem like great contenders imo, all with their own merits and turfs.
< Message edited by dionysius -- 17 Oct 07 1:40:31 >
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 33

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread