Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 EA Announces Battlefield Heroes... It' s Free!
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
EA Announces Battlefield Heroes... It' s Free! - Jan 22, 2008 04:39
Yep, that' s right. Free and EA in the same sentence.

EA Reveals Cartoony, Free To Play Battlefield Heroes

Big news from the Digital Life, Digital Design Conference in Munich today, as EA reveals the latest game in their online warfare series - Battlefield Heroes. Abandoning the series' ' knack for processor-heavy realistic graphics, this new title features a cartoony look akin to Valve' s Team Fortress 2, perfect for fast-action and accessible to a much wider audience. On top of the change in graphical direction, the game also features an all-new price point for an EA PC title: free.

That' s right. EA is taking a stab at the free to play pricing structure, delivering the game to anyone with the bandwidth to pull it down this summer at no charge whatsoever. Revenue comes in the way of in-game advertising as well as microtransactions, though the exact nature of said microtransactions hasn' t quite been fleshed out yet. Hopefully you won' t have to buy bullets.

Official Game Website
< Message edited by eddie_the_hated -- 21 Jan 08 20:40:30 >
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: EA Announces Battlefield Heroes... It' s Free! - Jan 22, 2008 05:45
This is going to be a big trend. Free games subsidized by advertising. Speaking of fighting piracy...
Eddie_the_Hated

RE: EA Announces Battlefield Heroes... It' s Free! - Jan 22, 2008 07:24
It' s brilliant, at least in design. Execution might be a different story. The public doesn' t like getting spammed with ads, but the only response I' ve seen it in has been in games that you' ve paid for, so I' m not sure if people would throw a fit or not.
ys

• Total Posts : 532
RE: EA Announces Battlefield Heroes... It' s Free! - Jan 22, 2008 14:04
Same here, people only tended to react when it was in a game that they paid for. All of those playing those Korean MMO' s seem to have nothing against it at least. They really like that " free play" but the irony is that they often spend more on their micro transactions than a game would' ve cost otherwise. I' ve seen many spend 20 euro per month so they could keep up with others (XP boost, clothes etc.)

But when I suggested some bigger (and better) online game they weren' t interested because it " wasn' t free" (even though there was no monthly cost, just the cost of the game at 30 euro or so).
Duffman

• Total Posts : 1096
RE: EA Announces Battlefield Heroes... It' s Free! - Jan 23, 2008 00:25
YES! Brilliant news! I love Battlefield especially BF2(PC). I don' t give a damn about advertisements in the game, its FREE!
2pac

• Total Posts : 1032
RE: EA Announces Battlefield Heroes... It' s Free! - Jan 23, 2008 01:42
But i am guessing unless u buy in-game stuff u wont have much fun after a while . Some noob with a ' better' weapon will just ruin it for people who wont buy stuff .
mikayd2

• Total Posts : 1129
RE: EA Announces Battlefield Heroes... It' s Free! - Jan 23, 2008 06:34

YES! Brilliant news! I love Battlefield especially BF2(PC). I don' t give a damn about advertisements in the game, its FREE!

I here that Free baby. Even though I hate Ea with a passion but my love for free stuff over powers that hate.

Bring it on Free baby I just hope a screen does not pop up saying buy some sprite it' s delicious after every kill.
Eddie_the_Hated

RE: EA Announces Battlefield Heroes... It' s Free! - Jan 23, 2008 07:49

I here that Free baby. Even though I hate Ea with a passion but my love for free stuff over powers that hate.

Don' t flip-flop now. If you' re going to try to bring down EA, playing their game isn' t the way to do it.
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
RE: EA Announces Battlefield Heroes... It' s Free! - Jan 23, 2008 08:22
An added bonus of this is the developer will have to make the game good to keep people playing. And is also likely to add more content to the game afterward.
Eddie_the_Hated

RE: EA Announces Battlefield Heroes... It' s Free! - Jan 23, 2008 08:34

But i am guessing unless u buy in-game stuff u wont have much fun after a while . Some noob with a ' better' weapon will just ruin it for people who wont buy stuff .

I' d guess that if it took us one day and some casual thought to consider it, the developers have taken it into account.

Now, granted, it' s EA, and undoubtedly they' re going to be pushing the paid DLC portion of the game as hard as they can, but not at the expense of the free user. They' ve still got quite a bit of revenue to be made from the in-game advertisements.
mikayd2

• Total Posts : 1129
RE: EA Announces Battlefield Heroes... It' s Free! - Jan 23, 2008 08:51

Don' t flip-flop now. If you' re going to try to bring down EA, playing their game isn' t the way to do it.
\

I' m not filp flopin I never said I don' t play ea games. I just don' t buy them. Your right about playing there games not being the way to shut them down. But playing there games for free is .
2pac

• Total Posts : 1032
RE: EA Announces Battlefield Heroes... It' s Free! - Jan 23, 2008 22:54

ORIGINAL: Eddie_the_Hated

Now, granted, it' s EA, and undoubtedly they' re going to be pushing the paid DLC portion of the game as hard as they can, but not at the expense of the free user. They' ve still got quite a bit of revenue to be made from the in-game advertisements.

I hope you are right but i think the ' free' user will be screwed over in someway or the other ..
ys

• Total Posts : 532
RE: EA Announces Battlefield Heroes... It' s Free! - Jan 23, 2008 23:10
I think so too. That' s kind of the business model of those " free to play" Korean MMO' s as I described above. Leveling up is VERY slow for example compared to those who buy some experience boost. Then there' s also better clothes/armor/weapons which people can buy and many do of course. Since it' s hard to keep up otherwise with friends or other people. On the other hand, this isn' t an RPG so it might turn out very different when it comes to what' s available for purchase. It' ll probably be things like a (temporary) boost for weapons.
Eddie_the_Hated

RE: EA Announces Battlefield Heroes... It' s Free! - Jan 24, 2008 04:56

I hope you are right but i think the ' free' user will be screwed over in someway or the other ..

They always are. If they weren' t, there wouldn' t be a single paid user.

I think so too. That' s kind of the business model of those " free to play" Korean MMO' s as I described above. Leveling up is VERY slow for example compared to those who buy some experience boost. Then there' s also better clothes/armor/weapons which people can buy and many do of course. Since it' s hard to keep up otherwise with friends or other people. On the other hand, this isn' t an RPG so it might turn out very different when it comes to what' s available for purchase. It' ll probably be things like a (temporary) boost for weapons.

Bluntly put, any skillless asshat with too much time on their hands can become " amazing" at an MMO. It just requires more free time and money than sense. As a general rule, this isn' t so with first person shooters. You need to have a competent reflex level, and a decent tactical, or at least fast-thinking mindset to do especially well in most online shooters.

I' m not filp flopin I never said I don' t play ea games. I just don' t buy them. Your right about playing there games not being the way to shut them down. But playing there games for free is .

By downloading the game, you' re empowering the people that are screwing you over, and those they' re willing to advertise for. If you don' t like the corporate machine, go indie, or steal. There' s not much in the way of midground when it comes to " fighting the man" .

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll