Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 If You Could Get Back Any Past-Gen Console, Which, Why, And What Games Would You Get For It?
DaRoosh65

• Total Posts : 1968
If You Could Get Back Any Past-Gen Console, Which, Why, And What Games Would You Get For - Nov 15, 2005 11:50
Many of you know that I have been around since before home consoles were invented.

Of all those systems that I experienced, I would have to say that I would (and may soon) re-acquire the Sega Saturn gaming console just because it brought me the most gaming enjoyment and fondest memories of any console system.

Also, Sega made consoles that worked right from the launch to the end of its days.

Some of the games I would get would be Panzer Dragoon (I, Zwei, Saga), Daytona USA, Die Hard, Last Gladiators Pinball, and any game related to the ' Shining' RPG series (There are others, but I' m not about to list all here).

Sega Dreamcast comes in a close second...just in case you care.

How about you folks? What system (or systems) would you re-acquire, why, and what games would you get for it (or them)?
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: If You Could Get Back Any Past-Gen Console, Which, Why, And What Games Would You Get - Nov 15, 2005 12:42
Probably the Saturn and Genesis. Hell maybe even the Master System (though the games at the end of its life sure did SUCK BALLS). The Dreamcast was only slightly above mediocre and the least Sega-ish of the Sega consoles.
< Message edited by Joe Redifer -- 15 Nov 05 20:43:32 >
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: If You Could Get Back Any Past-Gen Console, Which, Why, And What Games Would You Get - Nov 15, 2005 12:57
Master System with the game Wonder Boy :P

I played it at a friends house many years ago.

also Sega Mega Drive with Sonic on it, any sonic game really!
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: If You Could Get Back Any Past-Gen Console, Which, Why, And What Games Would You Get - Nov 15, 2005 13:19
Definitely the Sega Saturn and the NEC PC Engine for sure..
The Sega Master System would come next.

I agree with Joe about the Dreamcast (blasphemy I know!). Aside from a few glorious gaming moments, there was something about the Dreamcast that just felt quite lacking. I guess one of the factors was that the majority of the decent games on the unit I could also play at my local arcade in their preferred form...
Abasoufiane

• Total Posts : 2127
RE: If You Could Get Back Any Past-Gen Console, Which, Why, And What Games Would You Get - Nov 15, 2005 13:39
yes dreamcast was sur an outstanding console offering wonderful graphics and very fun games, but it was lacking of serious games , that' s what made it sink i guess, if only there were many more game that were similar to shenmue , resident evil , skies or arcadia, grandia that' s what i meant by serious games not like crazy taxy or house of dead which are awesom but that' s not what makes a good console. playstation 1 is the best console i ever had ( before i owned mega drive, snes, master system, famicom, spectrum zx, game boy)
Sharon

• Total Posts : 960
RE: If You Could Get Back Any Past-Gen Console, Which, Why, And What Games Would You Get - Nov 15, 2005 16:02
I still have my Super Nintendo and still play it.
Game Junkie

• Total Posts : 708
RE: If You Could Get Back Any Past-Gen Console, Which, Why, And What Games Would You Get - Nov 16, 2005 19:20
The dreamcast, I was going to get it but at the last minute got a ps2 instead. Even though the dreamcast didn' t have alot of games I still wish I picked it up. I love the memory card with the screens (brilliant idea) and always wanted to play Seeman, I would get Soul Caliber and a few Sonic games with it.
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: If You Could Get Back Any Past-Gen Console, Which, Why, And What Games Would You Get - Nov 16, 2005 22:37
I never understand why people think the Sega VMU is " brilliant" just because it has a screen. It did absolutely nothing to enhance gameplay. Oh sure, you may have been able to use it to pick plays in football games, but sports games are not real videogames and do not count in any manner whatsoever. Mostly they just displayed the title or logo of the game you were playing with cute little animations. Lame.
Silas

• Total Posts : 28
RE: If You Could Get Back Any Past-Gen Console, Which, Why, And What Games Would You Get - Nov 18, 2005 09:54
DaRoosh65 wrote:

Also, Sega made consoles that worked right from the launch to the end of its days.

Joe Redifer wrote:

The Dreamcast was only slightly above mediocre and the least Sega-ish of the Sega consoles.

If DaRoosh65 was referring to build quality and Joe was saying the DC was the " least Sega-ish of the Sega consoles" in that respect, then certainly I would 100% agree. Despite various recalls from microsoft which I' ve ignored, I' ve never had any problems at all with my XBox, or with my PS2. But the only way I get to play Shenmue I is with a Dreamcast, and I' m on my third console! (Admittedly the replacements are perforce as old as the original). Great machine, great innards, great games, great graphics (for its time and price), wrapped in a lousy piece of white plastic Amstrad-style electronic gear.
Terry Bogard

RE: If You Could Get Back Any Past-Gen Console, Which, Why, And What Games Would You Get - Nov 18, 2005 10:17
While the Sega VMS (VMU in teh USA) was a cool idea PRE-Dreamcast launch, it sadly didn' t live up to the hype. Batteries died, thing did the long death beep, and not many games really took advantage of it.
]GaNgStA[

• Total Posts : 2949
RE: If You Could Get Back Any Past-Gen Console, Which, Why, And What Games Would You Get - Nov 24, 2005 05:14
It' s not like we had to pay a lot for that screen on VMU - it was cool to have something like that extra.

I think DC was for people who love arcade games - by that I don' t mean ports from arcade.Games like Jet Set Radio (Jet Grind Radio in US) made for home systems still had that arcade flavour that I personally love.

Going back to subject - I managed to finish all the titles from past gens that i cared for, and if I come up with some more than I' m sure going to finish them as well cause I know that some gorgeus games are still there to dig out :)
Terry Bogard

RE: If You Could Get Back Any Past-Gen Console, Which, Why, And What Games Would You Get - Nov 25, 2005 09:06
I don' t think you' ll find a bigger arcade freak here than I, I' ve always ranked Arcade gaming above console gaming. BUT with consoles, I' d like there to be a rich mix of both arcade and console specific games. The problem with the good-great games ratio on the Dreamcast was that the arcade ports/conversions totally overshadowed the console specific stuff. It' s like you had 80% arcade games and 20% console specific stuff, ideally it would be 50/50... The Japanese Sega Saturn managed this balance quite beautifully as there were LOTS of great titles on both ends.
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: If You Could Get Back Any Past-Gen Console, Which, Why, And What Games Would You Get - Nov 25, 2005 13:13
i dont know what you guys are on about, i loved the Dreamcast. Sure the screen on the memory cards was a bit pointless but it paved the way of future gaming consoles. Online play? first one, Brillant graphics at a low price? yep, A contoller which the xbox took a few ideas of? yep, Great Games [the birthplace of shenmue!] yes, and it wasnt swamped with pointless fps games either, Power Stone 2 Was [or IS] my favorite mulitplayer game ever [i am talking with 4 pads, not online]

Dreamcast was great. It didnt deserve to die so early, blasted ps2 and its hype. But ps2 ant half bad either, much better than ps1..
kombatfighter

• Total Posts : 428
RE: If You Could Get Back Any Past-Gen Console, Which, Why, And What Games Would You Get - Nov 25, 2005 14:34
Dreamcast was great. I think that I' m going to pick one up. My friend had it and I played Shenmue all the time. Shenmue was great due to one fact. You could practice your technique over and over again until you mastered it and the button combo had to be perfect timing and release. They did away with it in Shenmue 2 with having to train that one move over and over. I didn' t think that was annoying. I actually liked it a lot. Also, there was a Spawn FPS that was in Japanese only I believe and that game was off the chain. Every character had thier own abilities. Plus, they had just about every character in the game and yes, Violator could transform as well as Spawn. Damn, I' m going to go get that like really soon now. Especially Spawn.
DaRoosh65

• Total Posts : 1968
RE: If You Could Get Back Any Past-Gen Console, Which, Why, And What Games Would You Get - Nov 29, 2005 08:38
It looks like the mention of the Sega Dreamcast has spawned a debate...

However, this thread is about " any" past console...so feel free to speak about YOUR favorite past console.

Happy Holidays to all Kikizo members!!!
Gaius IV

• Total Posts : 139
RE: If You Could Get Back Any Past-Gen Console, Which, Why, And What Games Would You Get - Dec 07, 2005 06:11
a NINTENDO with castlevania and simon' s quest. Oh! And also a neo geo console with world heroes and fatal fury special!

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll