Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Too Human: Combat explained
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 22
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
Too Human: Combat explained - Oct 19, 2007 05:53
Gametrailers

So the focus is on customisation rather than combat skills.
And the actual combat has simplified controls in order to keep you from getting tired of doing advanced and difficult maneuvers... or something.
I like it!
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: Too Human: Combat explained - Oct 19, 2007 06:46
Don' t pretend you damn sonybot.

Btw bioshock was a 9/10 just finished,and fuck gangasta!
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: Too Human: Combat explained - Oct 19, 2007 06:52
Tired of difficult manoeuvres???

Pathetic!
QuezcatoL

RE: Too Human: Combat explained - Oct 19, 2007 07:05
Im not tired of it,but I can understand what he means too.

If he is honest and there is quest that is hours long,and in parties,you dont want to play like in DMC or NG for hours,you should be able to take it slow and relax in the party sometimes.

Reflex shouldnt be at top everytime.
if its like wow for ex.
ginjirou

RE: Too Human: Combat explained - Oct 19, 2007 11:55
I hate the fighting in NG and DMC. This game should be perfect for me.
2pac

• Total Posts : 1032
RE: Too Human: Combat explained - Oct 19, 2007 22:39
I can see what he means , u dont want to be playing a game like dmc or gow for 30 hours or so . I guess there is no convincing nitro about this game until he actually plays it .
canadagamer

• Total Posts : 965
RE: Too Human: Combat explained - Oct 19, 2007 23:50
Nice video, but I have to say that now I am even less impressed with the combat in Too Human. I mean, it sounds more like they are dumbing down the combat so that gamers who have not played a game of this genre will be able to pick it up and know all of the controls in 10 minutes or so. It is just my opinion, but I don' t like the attacks completely on the right analog control. Just point left, now point right, point down, now up, now diagonally. I mean, come on now!!!!!! Why not just make the game control all of my attacks for me then, and let me have no control over any of my attacks.

Nice looking attacks and combos are one things, but if I don' t feel like I am truly controlling my character who cares. IMHO.
2pac

RE: Too Human: Combat explained - Oct 19, 2007 23:58
I still dont get what the fuss is all about . American rpgs are generally point and click affairs and i dont see anyone complaining . I think SK have to be commended for what they are trying .
Nitro

RE: Too Human: Combat explained - Oct 20, 2007 00:55

ORIGINAL: 2pac

I can see what he means , u dont want to be playing a game like dmc or gow for 30 hours or so . I guess there is no convincing nitro about this game until he actually plays it .

Who doesn' t want to be playing a game like Devil May Cry for 30 hours? If DMC4 was 30hrs long (depending on player skill ofcourse) and it was all of a high standard then i' d probably consider it one of the best games ever.

But with Too Human i simply don' t understand why if they' re saying that the game is 50% combat they can only half do the melee system. It even looks boring. The animations are lame, the moves are uninspiring, the collision detection looks laughable, it' s too floaty, the enemies just stand there... ...it' s just bad game design.

I can see what it wants to be, and i will be able to accept the combat mechanics for what they are - but it' s not even like that' s the only thing " wrong" with the game. The character (and item) modeling is hit and miss (mostly miss), the character design (excluding Baldur and his available armour types) is awful (and generic), the general character animations are weak, it needs better texturing in many places. I could go on forever.

That' s not to say i think it looks terrible. The RPG elemts look excellent, the skill tree in particular. It has some of the best art direction i' ve seen and the cinematics are - for the most part - really good. Most importantly the story looks to be genuinely engaging, ...but this is a game that has been moved from system to system, and 9 times out of 10, when that happens the game ends up being a disappointment (look at Perfect Dark Zero) and my biggest fear for Too Human is that it' s not sure what it wants to be and it ends up being weak in too many areas.

There' s nothing hugely wrong with the game, it' s just the little things that add up and bring the whole thing down. All i can think of when i look at Too Human is Untold Legends on PS3 - and that' s a really bad game.

I dunno, perhaps after i' ve played it i' ll change my mind but it' s not a game i' m anticipating and i could easily go without it.
< Message edited by NITRO -- 19 Oct 07 16:57:28 >
QuezcatoL

RE: Too Human: Combat explained - Oct 20, 2007 04:55
I dont think you get what he mean Majik,he basically says you should be able to do parties like in WoW and quest for hours,and it doesnt work then to add in a scheme like in NG or DMC,because its teamwork+long long battles+quest.

Now if he deliver some kind of lame quests that is hardly worth doing and like 10 min long,then Denis really screwed up.
ginjirou

RE: Too Human: Combat explained - Oct 20, 2007 05:16
I don' t even want to compare to DMC or NG. This is an RPG. RPG' s aren' t supposed to be about fighting skills, it' s supposed to be about character equipment and customisation as well as strategic battle choices.
Just because it isn' t turn-based and the angels resemble other games it doesn' t mean it has to be played like those other action games.
But even if I would like those battle systems I think that if the battle system would be more like those they would steal to much focus from the RPG battle elements and it' d be some kind of f***ed up RPG-slash em up hybrid.

I think moves and animations are good. I' m getting really tired of the super anime high-jump fests from previous generation games. I don' t think battles like the ones in NG or DMC would fit the Too Human universe at all.
I love the characters, how the game looks overall and all the little details. Not everything looks unique but I think everything fits very well within the theme they have chosen.

So my hopes are high. Of course, it could be a disaster since there are so many things I don' t know about the game yet but I like what I' ve seen so far.
Nitro

RE: Too Human: Combat explained - Oct 20, 2007 05:43

ORIGINAL: QuezcatoL

I dont think you get what he mean Majik,he basically says you should be able to do parties like in WoW and quest for hours,and it doesnt work then to add in a scheme like in NG or DMC,because its teamwork+long long battles+quest.

How does that differ from Kingdom Under Fire?
QuezcatoL

RE: Too Human: Combat explained - Oct 20, 2007 05:47
Thats a fair point.

But that game seems to be more focus on just killing as much as you can in co-op.

While in Too human seems to focus more on diffrent classes,like tanks,healer,leader,damage dealer etc.

But I agree that the games combat looks likea hit/miss,but I cant imagien playing NG styled Too human in a party for hours.

Kingdom under fire is kind of like DMC but it doesnt seem to be as reaction based,but more button mashing at times.
Nitro

RE: Too Human: Combat explained - Oct 20, 2007 06:13
Granted, but if the model is running through a complex animation sequence anyway then why not have a proper combat system? It doesn' t have to be as indepth as Devil May Cry or Ninja Gaiden, but using the right stick and just pushing in whatever direction you want to attack in seems seriously weak.

immortaldanmx

• Total Posts : 2966
RE: Too Human: Combat explained - Oct 20, 2007 13:26
It still makes no sense. It would be better to use each direction for a different move and just use the left stick for direction of attack. Then allow hot-mapping items to the face buttons.
UnluckyOne

• Total Posts : 995
RE: Too Human: Combat explained - Oct 20, 2007 13:36
Did you ever play Diablo 2 Nitro? Think along those lines, with a little more depth and tailored to consoles.

Diablo 2 was simplistic to the max. Point and click. Rinse and repeat x1000^29. Yet Diablo 2 was in no way boring or weak. It was one of the greatest games ever made. Why? It had a whole lot of replay, the underlying RPG/skill/item system was top notch and the story was - for its time - quite enjoyable with some killer cinematics. Multiplayer was a blast too.

Now point and click doesn' t really translate to a console, so obviously SK had to make some adjustments. Now its right joystick direction (with some minor combo features added). Rinse and repeat x1000^29. Does this mean Too Human is going to be a weak game? Can' t say till we play but from what I' ve read and seen, it looks to be following the Diablo 2 trend with a few more features thrown in. Great story, graphics, art, solid RPG/skill/item system and 4 player multiplayer co-op too.

People need to get over the NG/DMC/GoW comparisons. It' s not like them. Think Diablo 2 and you' re much closer to the mark.
2pac

RE: Too Human: Combat explained - Oct 20, 2007 17:18

ORIGINAL: UnluckyOne

Did you ever play Diablo 2 Nitro? Think along those lines, with a little more depth and tailored to consoles.

Diablo 2 was simplistic to the max. Point and click. Rinse and repeat x1000^29. Yet Diablo 2 was in no way boring or weak. It was one of the greatest games ever made. Why? It had a whole lot of replay, the underlying RPG/skill/item system was top notch and the story was - for its time - quite enjoyable with some killer cinematics. Multiplayer was a blast too.

Now point and click doesn' t really translate to a console, so obviously SK had to make some adjustments. Now its right joystick direction (with some minor combo features added). Rinse and repeat x1000^29. Does this mean Too Human is going to be a weak game? Can' t say till we play but from what I' ve read and seen, it looks to be following the Diablo 2 trend with a few more features thrown in. Great story, graphics, art, solid RPG/skill/item system and 4 player multiplayer co-op too.

People need to get over the NG/DMC/GoW comparisons. It' s not like them. Think Diablo 2 and you' re much closer to the mark.

Exactly what i have been trying to say .
immortaldanmx

• Total Posts : 2966
RE: Too Human: Combat explained - Oct 21, 2007 02:46
Diablo was good...... in the 90' s. Its 2007, let repetitive gameplay stay in the 90' s.
Nitro

RE: Too Human: Combat explained - Oct 21, 2007 02:55
I guess i wanted something more... involving?

Holding the stick in x direction and having the character perform a combo for as long as you keep holding the stick in that direction just seems... weak. A streamlined combat system is fine but this just seems daft.

2pac

RE: Too Human: Combat explained - Oct 21, 2007 04:24

ORIGINAL: immortaldanmx

Diablo was good...... in the 90' s. Its 2007, let repetitive gameplay stay in the 90' s.

Most of the core mechanics in games are from 90s or before . Nothing today is innovative .
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 22

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message