Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Sony throws stones, while living in a glass house
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
Sony throws stones, while living in a glass house - Sep 22, 2006 04:42
Link

That company is so funnily full of crap, i can smell them all the way from Japan, ewww
dasher232

• Total Posts : 1729
RE: Sony throws stones, while living in a glass house - Sep 22, 2006 04:47
Yeah we do ' ' true hd' ' out of the box anything else is not ' ' tru hd' ' man...it must be wizadry or some cheap trick. I love how they said

It' s unfortunate that Microsoft' s external HD-DVD drive will not enhance the experience at all for the gamer

hmmmmm
hmmmmm
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: Sony throws stones, while living in a glass house - Sep 22, 2006 04:49
Actually, any games are are made in native 1080p for 360 will definately NOT fit on a DVD9.

I' m glad Microsoft have managed it but they' ll have to have some insane compression techniques to fit any 1080p game on a single DVD9. Saying that though, you' ll be able to up-res from 720p to 1080p anyway, even if it' s not true native 1080p.
Vx Chemical

RE: Sony throws stones, while living in a glass house - Sep 22, 2006 04:53
why not? is it not just a matter of rendering at a higher resolution? You dont necesarily have to enhance textures for it? PC games have been offering higher resolutions and customisation for years, why wouldnt it work the same way for a console?

Or am i totally wrong`?
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: Sony throws stones, while living in a glass house - Sep 22, 2006 04:54
I was thinking the same,i have many games on my pc that support muc hhigher reso,they don' t use more space... it seems.

I think its 1080p CGI that will take to much space...
Vx Chemical

RE: Sony throws stones, while living in a glass house - Sep 22, 2006 04:55
Fuck CGI. Unless its a blizzard game, i dont care!
Papado

• Total Posts : 234
RE: Sony throws stones, while living in a glass house - Sep 22, 2006 05:00
MS said they would not put games on HD-DVDs, but so what? Videogame companies repeal their statements all the time.
< Message edited by papado -- 21 Sep 06 21:03:11 >
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
You are right VX, Magic doesn' t know what he is talking about. As for 1080P CGI as Quez said will take a lot more space.
QuezcatoL

Yes,but as Gangsta pointed out,it made good use of CGI in Lost odyssye,but at the same time,the real time graphic was indentical,so perhaps they still cna skip most CGI?
Vx Chemical

RE: Sony throws stones, while living in a glass house - Sep 22, 2006 05:04
I definetly prefer ingame story telling, with only a select few CGI scenes, maybe 3-4 in the entire game! But games like FPS dont need it at all!
QuezcatoL

RE: Sony throws stones, while living in a glass house - Sep 22, 2006 05:07
My problem with CGI is that i always felt so " dissconnected" with the game when a CGI startmhowever in LO they blend it together so perfectly.

So i don' t know what to say,i used to drop my controller whenever a cgi movie shows up in a game,but doing that to LO would make no sense.
]GaNgStA[

• Total Posts : 2949
RE: Sony throws stones, while living in a glass house - Sep 22, 2006 06:59

Or am i totally wrong`?

you are a bit wrong - PC games are made to be compatible with many resolutions , so the easiet way is to use " sample textures" in high quality that are then converted to you selected resolution when you play.You can play PC games in 1024x768 for 4 years and then switch to 1900x1080 and you will see sharper textures in most cases.

About CG - it' s impossible to achieve action like LO in Realtime - think about that " sky volcano" and try to imagine it in Realtime.If they can make it as close to realtime as LO - then why would you care?

And I have to agree - It' s definitely not Squaresoft , but Blizzard , that makes the best CG movies.

About storage space - game like GTA3 would be impossible on CD - this huge world have been streaming from DVD all the time.720p movies are big , but 1080p is a lot of data.

When we have 512 MB of memory 9GB equals 18 loadings without movies.18 loadings - that' s how many you' d have in 3 levels of Half Life 2 on current gen Xbox.

You can make huge and good games in 9GB but it seems that 25GB (cause 50 isn' t that common yet) is a nice advantage.

It' s no surprise - MS wanted to be first and they sold many consoles before Sony, but Sony has some upgrades thanks to that.We' ll see who' s tactics are better

One more thing we should notice is that 360 is far from PS3 when it comes to playing movies.It has the drive and 1080p in some cases , but PS3 has HDMI 1.3 (which is really future proof - most devices have 1.1 or 1.2 now) 1080p signal - it' s a great HD player when you look at specs.

MS was doing great until recently when they showed that they feel like they need this 1080p that they said was " nothing" .Sony made them play their game.That' s a bad move - they had a great 720p offer and it made sense.I think it will hurt them in the future.
< Message edited by ]gangsta[ -- 21 Sep 06 23:06:09 >
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: Sony throws stones, while living in a glass house - Sep 22, 2006 07:47
I don' t think it was a totally bad move. Now that' s one less card sony' s got to play. Microsoft will let you watch 1080 movies too. Will it do alot for gamers? most likely not, not unless you' ve got a 1080 hdtv to upscale to.
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
RE: Sony throws stones, while living in a glass house - Sep 22, 2006 10:48
If games were made in 1080p it would be a big hit on performance and the textures would actually end up being lower resolutions.

There is some truth to the 9GB equalling 18 loadings of the 512 MB memory. But games reuse a lot of textures and other content as well (especially player models).

Unreal Tournament 2004 for example takes up around 8 GB of space and it has over 50 levels.
Oblivion is massive and fits on one disc and there are tons of different loading points.
UnluckyOne

• Total Posts : 995
RE: Sony throws stones, while living in a glass house - Sep 22, 2006 10:59
Lets cut the bullshit eh? ATI have always said that Xenos is capable of 1080p, it' s just up to Microsoft as to whether they implemented it or not. Microsoft didn' t really think 1080p was important so they didn' t include it. However, once Sony started to make a big deal about it' s PS3 being able to output 1080p and X360 can' t, it started to play on some people' s minds. I mean, did anyone think much of 1080p before Sony started to mention it? No! So now Microsoft fires back at Sony saying their machine can output 1080p. Sony' s marketing advantage is gone.

That' s all 1080p currently is: Marketing. Don' t get caught up in the hype. HDMI 1.3/1080p really doesn' t mean shit to the average joe consumer, the only reason they' re flaunted around is because of the numbers game that big businesses like to play.
Rampage99

• Total Posts : 3161
RE: Sony throws stones, while living in a glass house - Sep 22, 2006 11:50
So how about that Sony Press conference... wow. Talk about lack luster. Well at least they showed Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiidge Raaaaaaaaaaaceeeeeeeeer!!!!! They had absolutely nothing to counter MS' s conference. Sony is looking more like a sinking ship everyday.
Vx Chemical

RE: Sony throws stones, while living in a glass house - Sep 22, 2006 13:53
Also, dont forget that MS will launch a HDMI cable for the Xbox at some point! everything points at it!
QuezcatoL

RE: Sony throws stones, while living in a glass house - Sep 22, 2006 16:10
Hahaha,sony are stupid,they live in a glass house and throw stones,what a bunch of retards.
Tiz

• Total Posts : 3158
RE: Sony throws stones, while living in a glass house - Sep 22, 2006 17:20

ORIGINAL: QuezcatoL

Hahaha,sony are stupid,they live in a glass house and throw stones,what a bunch of retards.

I always thought it was the big and clever thing to do...

Isn' t it?

What, you mean people don' t normally standin glass houses and throw stones??

What have I been doing all this time?
QuezcatoL

RE: Sony throws stones, while living in a glass house - Sep 22, 2006 17:22
I had a glass house,i was grewing vegetables but they sucked,so i was like WTF ,fu you vegetable

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll