Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 To you North American cousin' s
alijay034

• Total Posts : 1433
To you North American cousin' s - Nov 02, 2007 16:24
Monday 5th November is something we Brits call bonfire night or Guy Fawkes night, this is where we let off fireworks round a bonfire whilst burning an effigee of a person called Guy Fawkes who tried to blow up parliment back in the 1600 or 1700' s

I am curious do you guys do anything with fireworks round this time of year or is it just for July 5th?
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: To you North American cousin' s - Nov 02, 2007 16:57
We have (im not american though) a fest in the summer, 24th of june, we have fireworks, a big bonfire and a witch we burn at the stake (just a doll these days though)

its called st. hans day.
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: To you North American cousin' s - Nov 03, 2007 03:17
I celibrate Guy Fawkes day with my friends as a matter of fact, but it' s not common. Apart from me & those people I celebrate it with, I don' t know anybody else who knows who he is, no less that there' s a holiday for him.

Our firework festivities are limited to the 4th of July & New Years.
< Message edited by eddie_the_hated -- 2 Nov 07 19:19:13 >
Zoy

• Total Posts : 1703
RE: To you North American cousin' s - Nov 03, 2007 04:09
I think the V for Vendetta movie probably raised some awareness of Guy Fawkes over here... for a few hours anyway.
mastachefbkw

• Total Posts : 3793
RE: To you North American cousin' s - Nov 03, 2007 09:59

Our firework festivities are limited to the 4th of July & New Years.
In my area people buy fireworks when they go out of town, then they randomly get drunk and start launching them. Just two days ago this guy set his farm on fire with roman candles
choupolo

• Total Posts : 1773
RE: To you North American cousin' s - Nov 03, 2007 20:24
I feckin hate bonfire night, because its really more bonfire season. Just like Christmas people actually start celebrating 2 months early and you cant get away from it!

Its just weeeee POP every shitting day!

If it really was just for one night it would be cool, but nooo. Not that I' m bitter.
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: To you North American cousin' s - Nov 04, 2007 13:30
If it' s illegal to sell fireworks where I live then you wouldn' t know it from going to a corner store. They' re everywhere all year long. I live near a beach, so there are always fireworks going off every now and then. I haven' t heard news of anyone blowing off limbs, but then again I don' t read the news.

It' s pretty cool to just walk into a store and be able to buy enough gun powder to make a small country disappear.
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: To you North American cousin' s - Nov 05, 2007 02:11
They' re entirely illegal in Michigan as well (for that matter, anything that goes up in the air & goes bang), and nobody really bothers breaking the law. It' s not worth all the trouble to be honest. You drive half an hour south into Ohio, & buy some from good ' ol Phantom fireworks.

The funniest part? Their retail warehouse is smack-dab on the Michigan-Ohio border. It bugs state troopers to no end.
Mass X

• Total Posts : 4491
RE: To you North American cousin' s - Nov 05, 2007 07:53
Illegal in Minnesota as well. We have to make the quick trip east to Wisconsin to get are explosive fix. Cops round here don' t enoforce the law much when it comes to fireworks.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll