Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Halo Wars Dev. Closing Doors? Axing Non-Essential Staff?
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
Halo Wars Dev. Closing Doors? Axing Non-Essential Staff? - Sep 09, 2008 23:25
Apparently shacknews has gotten a major tip off on the closure of Ensemble studios, the developer behind the much-anticipated Halo 3, and the critically acclaimed Age of Empires series.

According to their sources, non-essential staff not involved in Halo Wars were laid-off today, while essential Halo Wars staff were offered incentives to stay until the game is published.

Linky
Zoy

• Total Posts : 1703
Re:Halo Wars Dev. Closing Doors? Axing Non-Essential Staff? - Sep 09, 2008 23:41
It certainly seems like M$ doesn't have many plans to remain in videogame software development for much longer.
immortaldanmx

• Total Posts : 2966
Re:Halo Wars Dev. Closing Doors? Axing Non-Essential Staff? - Sep 10, 2008 00:25
Doesnt seem very believable, considering the success Ensemble has had and the fact that they dont note a reliable source. Magic 8Ball says: Wait and see.
2pac

• Total Posts : 1032
Re:Halo Wars Dev. Closing Doors? Axing Non-Essential Staff? - Sep 10, 2008 00:36
Ensemble is closing down ? No way . Atleast i hope so ..
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
Re:Halo Wars Dev. Closing Doors? Axing Non-Essential Staff? - Sep 10, 2008 00:39
immortaldanmx

Doesnt seem very believable, considering the success Ensemble has had and the fact that they dont note a reliable source. Magic 8Ball says: Wait and see.

Pretty much.

Although, it wouldn't exactly come as a surprise if Microsoft shut down most of their inhouse operations. They fucked up big time with their acquisition of Rare - to the tune of $380 million. They learned shortly afterwards that you can buy the IP but not the talent. Their swift move to buying exclusivity from 3rd party deveopers has paid off in volumes and is likely to be the way they go forward now.

They let Bungie go their own way and they let Bizarre go to Activision and yet they still own the Halo and Project Gotham IP's. It's just a smarter business model at this point.
2pac

• Total Posts : 1032
Re:Halo Wars Dev. Closing Doors? Axing Non-Essential Staff? - Sep 10, 2008 06:37
Confirmed -> Gamespot

It seems that MS is going the way nitro said but what about the first party devs ? They still own the Ips but they are loosing quality developers . I guess MS knows more about business than me so i need to stfu ..
emofag

• Total Posts : 1508
Re:Halo Wars Dev. Closing Doors? Axing Non-Essential Staff? - Sep 10, 2008 06:56
At this point it is better, back when they bought rare it gave many consumers a boost of confidence because they were still relatively unknown in the console market, that stage is over.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll