Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Prince of Persia
choupolo

• Total Posts : 1773
Prince of Persia - Dec 07, 2008 00:03
http://games.kikizo.com/reviews/xbox360/prince-of-persia-p1.asp

This version of Prince of Persia was something that came out of nowhere for me - when I first saw the screenshots here I was really impressed and excited, and it wasn't long after that it's now out and I'm playing it. I love it when you're not endlessly waiting for a game to come out after you first hear about it.

I'm enjoying the game so far, beautiful artwork and animation (with some nice extra unlockable artwork to browse through from the main menu).  I love the way it feels as though you're controlling a fluid, supremely artistic animated epic - sustaining the suspension of disbelief, the way other traditional 3D modelling and physics based animation cannot, no matter how photoreaslistic the screenshots get.  I regret I never played Okami but I imagine this feels much the same.

The complex and detailed animation comes at a price though, as is commonly the problem, sacrificing interactivity.  The game uses simple controls with few necessary button presses to achieve a slick and complicated result.  Its not as abstracted as Assassin's Creed's 'hold one button to do everything', but you still feel as though you're watching the animations unfold rather than causing them to happen.  Its satisfying to watch but maybe a bit too easy to do.

What's more restricting about the gameplay is the almost 'on-rails' nature of the platforming.  At least in Assassin's Creed, even though you were just holding X/A, it freed your concentration up to think about where you wanted to go in its expansive environment.  In PoP, although the environments are wide, the challenge is set for you from the beginning - all you need do is use a number of timely button presses to traverse it.  Its almost as if the game is one big quicktime event, with only a few branches and bosses to split sections up.

However, the only reason the gameplay doesn't get dull is because the end result is so spectacular.  And although this is still your standard Prince of Persia, wall-run, swing on things affair, set by Sands of Time - this game still feels unique from how well it has been animated and how aesthetically pleasing it is.  You really just have to play it to appreciate it.

So anyone else pick this up?  What d'you reckon to it?
<message edited by choupolo on Dec 07, 2008 00:06>
emofag

• Total Posts : 1508
Re:Prince of Persia - Dec 07, 2008 01:31
It does look very cool, may pick it up later.
Chimura

• Total Posts : 1123
Re:Prince of Persia - Dec 07, 2008 07:25
I am picking it up next weekend, can't wait
Chee Saw

• Total Posts : 1466
Re:Prince of Persia - Dec 07, 2008 08:30
I got it, but haven't opened it yet.  Started Fallout 3, and played a little Tomb Raider: Underworld.  I'm looking forward to playing it though.  The art direction looks inspired.
immortaldanmx

• Total Posts : 2966
Re:Prince of Persia - Dec 07, 2008 18:03
Ive beaten the first "Fertile Land", and I must say Im impressed so far. Its on easy side due to not really dying for falling, but it has a great art style and is fun.
choupolo

• Total Posts : 1773
Re:Prince of Persia - Dec 09, 2008 23:30
Who on earth at Ubisoft thought it would be fun to collect 540 lightseeds.  You can't even use them to plant lighttrees.  Elika just eats them and demands more.  She doesn't seem to put on weight either. 

Game is dragging a bit at the moment.  I just want to beat up the subbosses and get to Ahriman in Mordorrr... with Frodooo.
immortaldanmx

• Total Posts : 2966
Re:Prince of Persia - Dec 10, 2008 03:13
choupolo

Who on earth at Ubisoft thought it would be fun to collect 540 lightseeds.  You can't even use them to plant lighttrees.  Elika just eats them and demands more.  She doesn't seem to put on weight either. 

Game is dragging a bit at the moment.  I just want to beat up the subbosses and get to Ahriman in Mordorrr... with Frodooo.

Lol, after realizing that you didnt just have to collect 60 for each of the lands to be unlocked I was pissed as well. Bad design decision.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll