Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Rage to look worst on 360
Johnny Jiron

• Total Posts : 434
Rage to look worst on 360 - Aug 02, 2008 01:27
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
Re:Rage to look worst on 360 - Aug 02, 2008 01:57
The topic title makes it sound like they had a meeting to discuss which one would look worse.  They made a decision that the 360 version will look worst.  I wonder which version they decided will look best?

PS - What the hell is "Rage"?
Virtua fighter 5

• Total Posts : 1327
Re:Rage to look worst on 360 - Aug 02, 2008 03:36
If this game / engine is as optimised for all plattforms as id say it is, its obviously going to look a tad worse on the least equipped plattform.
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
Re:Rage to look worst on 360 - Aug 02, 2008 03:46
blu ray vindicated?

Still I dont understand, with ps3 even if the textures are full detail on the disc how can the system load them easily? arent they too big?
<message edited by Silentbomber on Aug 02, 2008 03:47>
Johnny Jiron

Re:Rage to look worst on 360 - Aug 02, 2008 05:07
I'm thinking this is most definitely something for the PC crowd.
Chee Saw

• Total Posts : 1466
Re:Rage to look worst on 360 - Aug 02, 2008 10:03
Correct me if I'm wrong (or not quite seeing the big picture) but can't you have only so many textures loaded into a consoles RAM at any moment, anyway?  And doesn't the 360 have the advantage over PS3 in this regard?  I mean, it seems as though Blu-ray would have the advantage of not repeating textures throughout the game, but at any given time is this the case?

Well, it is Carmack, and he is approximately 3,000,000,000 times smarter than me, so...
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
Re:Rage to look worst on 360 - Aug 02, 2008 18:09

Still I dont understand, with ps3 even if the textures are full detailon the disc how can the system load them easily? arent they too big?

Correct me if I'm wrong (or not quite seeing the big picture) but can'tyou have only so many textures loaded into a consoles RAM at anymoment, anyway?  And doesn't the 360 have the advantage over PS3 inthis regard?  I mean, it seems as though Blu-ray would have theadvantage of not repeating textures throughout the game, but at anygiven time is this the case?

They'll be using texture-streaming. A lot of compressed low LOD placeholders, with the ultra-high resolution textures being streamed in on top of them when you get within a certain distance.

It works quite well (Look at Gears of War), and developers who don't use it tend to wind up with a title that looks a little muddy (Resistance), but it can be quite visually distracting if they don't do something to mask the "pop-in" effect.

They rather chopped up that article. What Carmack actually said to ShackNews was:

In an interview with Shacknews, id's John Carmack reiterated that theXbox 360 version of Rage will look worse than the PlayStation 3 version.

When asked whether the difference will be significant, Carmack noted that "hero shots" should look similar, but that Xbox 360 players might find a rock that is more blurry when exploring the periphery of Rage'sworld.

According to Carmack, the royalty fees to include a third disc in the Xbox 360 version would be so high that it simply isn't a feasible solution, with the programmer hoping for Microsoft to make a concession. He stressed that the issue is merely a storage problem andhas nothing to do with the power of the Xbox 360 hardware, while adding that the PlayStation 3's Blu-ray format is Sony's one leg up on the competition.

The PC DVD, 360, and PC Mac versions will all look similar. The PS3 version will have crisper textures than the afore mentioned versions, and the Blu-Ray PC and Blu-Ray Mac versions will wipe the floor with the PS3 version, due to their lack of RAM constraints.

<message edited by Eddie_the_Hated on Aug 02, 2008 18:13>
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
Re:Rage to look worst on 360 - Aug 02, 2008 19:01
If PC needs more than on DVD it will use more than one DVD. 
Johnny Jiron

Re:Rage to look worst on 360 - Aug 02, 2008 19:17
And this is why its good to own all platforms...tho my PC is shit by today's standards now. Additional I must say that "choice" is an expensive deal.
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
Re:Rage to look worst on 360 - Aug 02, 2008 23:18
I Plan to build a gaming pc next year... maybe.
mastachefbkw

• Total Posts : 3793
Re:Rage to look worst on 360 - Aug 02, 2008 23:22
Silentbomber

TONY STARK BUILT A GAMING PC IN A CAVE!!!!!!

mikayd2

• Total Posts : 1129
Re:Rage to look worst on 360 - Aug 03, 2008 00:05
Eddie_the_Hated

and the Blu-Ray PC and Blu-Ray Mac versions will wipe the floor with the PS3 version, due to their lack of RAM constraints.

I had no Ideal blue was being used for gameing on the pc and mac. I think that's a real bad ideal seeing the drives for consumers cost and arm and a leg.
Eddie_the_Hated

Re:Rage to look worst on 360 - Aug 03, 2008 05:50

I had no Ideal blue was being used for gameing on the pc and mac. Ithink that's a real bad ideal seeing the drives for consumers cost andarm and a leg.

Lite-on sells one for $140 new. If you have a high-end gaming PC, that's a pittance for the confirmed next-of-kin to DVD-ROM.

Silentbomber

TONY STARK BUILT A GAMING PC IN A CAVE!!!!!!

OUT OF SCRAPS!

Hu-huh. I just went to go see that again yesterday.

If PC needs more than on DVD it will use more than one DVD.

True.

It'll all depend on how much space they really "need" though. The DVD version could match the Blu-Ray version byte-for-byte if they use all space available, but it'll take just shy of six dual-layer DVDs, which I have a hard time seeing.

According to Id, they've got a Terabyte of uncompressed data going into Rage right now. I don't know enough about compression, or developer protocol to know what gets trimmed/compressed/ripped first when they drop to a smaller media format, so Ghost, you might have me on that one.
mastachefbkw

• Total Posts : 3793
Re:Rage to look worst on 360 - Aug 03, 2008 07:08

Hu-huh. I just went to go see that again yesterday.

I was thinking about seeing it again, just to compare it to The Dark Knight, but then when I thought about it, there is no comparison.
Eddie_the_Hated

Re:Rage to look worst on 360 - Aug 03, 2008 07:37
It's still pretty good. It was my third time seeing it in theaters.

...wait....

...What the hell are you doing posting on Kikizo at 2:30 AM? I have a reason to be up, what's your alibi?
emofag

• Total Posts : 1508
Re:Rage to look worst on 360 - Aug 03, 2008 10:20
This game will probably suck so IDGAF about any of the versions atm.
Virtua fighter 5

Re:Rage to look worst on 360 - Aug 03, 2008 13:06
This games looks really interesting and i'll doubt Cormack would big up a title if it was heading in the direction of 'being shit'..

New trailer:      http://www.gametrailers.com/player/37832.aspx

New Interview: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/37900.aspx

<message edited by Virtua fighter 5 on Aug 03, 2008 13:17>
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
Re:Rage to look worst on 360 - Aug 04, 2008 00:47
Virtua fighter 5

This games looks really interesting and i'll doubt Cormack would big up a title if it was heading in the direction of 'being shit'..

New trailer:      http://www.gametrailers.com/player/37832.aspx

New Interview: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/37900.aspx

Cormack...

...and this is a PC game at heart. Why would you want to play a console port???

emofag

• Total Posts : 1508
Re:Rage to look worst on 360 - Aug 04, 2008 01:14
Because he thinks we're all running pentium 2's and couldnt possibly run the PC version, most people here have powerful gaming computers, but he's a moron so he wouldn't know that.
Virtua fighter 5

Re:Rage to look worst on 360 - Aug 04, 2008 01:52
emofag

Because he thinks we're all running pentium 2's and couldnt possibly run the PC version, most people here have powerful gaming computers, but he's a moron so he wouldn't know that.

lol, emofag, you make my day, you really do :)

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll