Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Nintendo comes out fighting!
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
Nintendo comes out fighting! - Nov 13, 2006 18:46

Nintendo to Spend $200 Million on Wii Marketing to Battle Sony

By Michael White and Jonathan Thaw

Nov. 13 (Bloomberg) -- Nintendo Co., loser of the last video- game console war, said it will spend more than $200 million to market its new Wii in a bid to wrest sales away from Sony Corp.' s PlayStation 3 and Microsoft Corp.' s Xbox 360.

The advertising campaign is the biggest ever for Kyoto-based Nintendo, which begins selling Wii in the U.S. on Nov. 19., two days after Sony releases the PlayStation. Television ads beginning tomorrow will focus on Wii' s ease of use and library of family- friendly games.

Nintendo and Sony are fighting to increase their share of the $20 billion worldwide video-game market. Microsoft has a head start this round after releasing its Xbox last year. Nintendo' s campaign positions it in contrast to PlayStation 3, which Sony introduced Nov. 11 in Japan stressing the machine' s advanced graphics and Blu-ray DVD drive that plays movies as well as games.

``Eighteen months ago most people did not expect Nintendo to be competitive in this next generation of consoles,' ' said John Broady, an analyst at GameSpot.com, a unit of Cnet Networks Entertainment that tracks video-game sales.

Nintendo and Microsoft are getting some help from Tokyo-based Sony' s difficulties. Sony in September said it would delay the PlayStation 3' s debut in Europe until March because of parts shortages for the Blu-ray drive that have slowed production.

In Tokyo, demand for the new PlayStation outstripped supply store because Sony limited initial deliveries in Japan to 100,000. The company last month cut the machine' s price to 49,980 yen ($425) from 59,800 yen after complaints from gamers.

Price Difference

At $250, the Wii also will appeal to price-conscious buyers. Sony' s PlayStation 3 is aimed at serious game players, selling for $500 to $600. Xbox sells for $300 to $400.

Nintendo probably will sell about 1.5 million Wii consoles in the U.S. through the end of this year, according to Jeetil Patel, an analyst at Deutsche Bank Securities in San Francisco. He forecasts about 500,000 U.S. sales of PlayStation 3. Microsoft probably will sell 2.28 million Xbox 360s in November and December, he said.

Redmond, Washington-based Microsoft has sold more than 6 million Xbox' s since its launch and estimates that will climb to 10 million by June 30.

``They' re severely constrained,' ' Van Baker, an analyst at market researcher Gartner Inc., said in an interview. ``The chance of getting a PS3 this holiday is pretty much non-existent.' '

Targeting Adults

About 80 percent of advertising for Wii will target adults in an attempt to expand the video-game market beyond children and teens that have been Nintendo' s traditional market, said George Harrison, the company' s senior vice president for marketing. Nintendo will spend the $200 million during the next 12 months.

Nintendo adopted the strategy after its GameCube console lost the competition with Sony' s PlayStation 2 five years ago.

Both companies plan rollouts for their new consoles that include midnight sales parties at retailers in cities including New York, San Francisco and Los Angeles.

The advertising campaign is Nintendo' s most expensive, costing about 20 percent more than the rollout of GameCube in 2001, Harrison said. Nintendo came out the loser in the battle between GameCube and PlayStation 2, an experience that convinced the company to avoid trying to challenge Sony and Microsoft for the hard-core audience in the current console war, Harrison said.

GameCube

By the end of this year, Nintendo will have sold about 11.7 million GameCubes in the U.S., compared with 35.6 million units of PlayStation 2, according to Michael Pachter, an analyst at Wedbush Morgan Securities in Los Angeles. Pachter anticipates Nintendo will sell about 2 million Wii consoles by year end.

``GameCube didn' t meet out expectations,' ' Harrison said in an interview. ``There were lessons in there for us that led us to the Wii. The first lesson was that just trying to be like the others in the marketplace wasn' t the answer.' '

Pachter estimates Sony will sell about 1.5 million PlayStation 3s.

Television ads, which begin running Wednesday, will include a two-minute ``documentary' ' that features grandparents and parents playing with their children.

The television ads will be the first broad-based advertising Nintendo has done. The company started pushing the console over the summer with a campaign that included parties in which consumers were asked to invite friends to their homes to play the console.

Among those asked was Bill Weatherford, who invited relatives to play in his home in Tonganoxie, Kansas. Weatherford, who had purchased an Xbox 360 weeks earlier, said he probably will buy a Wii to play with his wife and 3-year-old son.

``It had a lot more family friendly games, sports games that actually had some physical activities,' ' Weatherford said in an interview. ``I just felt like you were more involved, doing more together.' '

Wii features a wireless controller that enables players to control a game by waving their hands. The controller can be used as a baseball bat, tennis racquet or sword for action games.

To contact the reporter on this story: Michael White in Los Angeles at Mwhite8@bloomberg.net ; Jonathan Thaw in San Francisco at jthaw@bloomberg.net
Last Updated: November 12, 2006 18:22 EST

Bloomberg

One thing is certain. Sony are going to get completely and utterly raped in Japan. I honestly hope that Nintendo crush Microsoft in Europe this Christmas. It' s about goddamn time Nintendo were back on top!

hector

• Total Posts : 16
RE: Nintendo comes out fighting! - Nov 13, 2006 19:14
Sony and microsoft should have never entered the console scene.
Dead Saint

• Total Posts : 205
RE: Nintendo comes out fighting! - Nov 13, 2006 19:58
Wii' s a fad and sadly the first Nintendo console i wont buy.
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: Nintendo comes out fighting! - Nov 13, 2006 21:07

ORIGINAL: Dead Saint

Wii' s a fad and sadly the first Nintendo console i wont buy.

**Rolls eyes and remembers people saying exactly the same about DS**
JalleNalle

• Total Posts : 191
RE: Nintendo comes out fighting! - Nov 13, 2006 21:36
I haven' t seen anything I like on the Wii exept Zelda, next Smash and Red Steel. I don' t really know what to think of the Wii, but I have trust in Nintendo.
Dead Saint

• Total Posts : 205
RE: Nintendo comes out fighting! - Nov 13, 2006 21:41

**Rolls eyes and remembers people saying exactly the same about DS**

News to me.
Zoy

• Total Posts : 1703
RE: Nintendo comes out fighting! - Nov 14, 2006 01:43

The advertising campaign is the biggest ever for Kyoto-based Nintendo, which begins selling Wii in the U.S. on Nov. 19., two days after Sony releases the PlayStation. Television ads beginning tomorrow will focus on Wii' s ease of use and library of family- friendly games.

Will they bring back the NES tagline " Your parents help you hook it up!" ...?
Chee Saw

• Total Posts : 1466
RE: Nintendo comes out fighting! - Nov 14, 2006 09:50
Whether the Wii is a " fad" or not is debatable, but one thing' s for sure; they' re gonna OWN the PS3 in Japan and Europe this Christmas! Probably America too. They' re gonna have a LOT more units available (obviously in Europe) and spending $200 million should help. I see success.

I' m seriously considering getting one. Just for Warioware!!
Byakko

• Total Posts : 599
RE: Nintendo comes out fighting! - Nov 14, 2006 17:01

Will they bring back the NES tagline " Your parents help you hook it up!" ...?

Actually, the whole Wii tagline is really that " Your parents can play it too!" which is really a good OR bad thing

I' m looking forward to the rumored online Mana game Squenix is making just for the Wii! Like Phantasy Star, but with manual hacking and slashing! XD
Terrak

• Total Posts : 783
RE: Nintendo comes out fighting! - Nov 14, 2006 18:36
The ass kicking sony handed Nintendo for the last 10 years seems to have done more good then harm. No longer are they sitting on their laurels content with where they were, now they' re getting there hands dirty and are ready to rumble. Sure its no where near the marketing budgets of microsoft or sony, but at least its a step in the right direction.

I remember when Gamecube came out and there was no hype, advertising or anything. I took a day off work and went to the store early thinking that there would be large lines and crowds every where, but when i got there there was like 2 people, no lines no fanfare, just a normal shopping day - that was pathetic (although not waiting in line was a bonus).

Losing 2 generations in a row now looks like a blessing in disguise, for Nintendo and for gamers. If they didn' t lose we would not have the unique gaming experience the Wii provides (since Nintendo realised it could not longer compete technologically with sony or microsoft) nor would we see a more agressive Nintendo we see today. Sure the Wii might not be everyones thing but at least gamers have genuine choice for their gaming dollars which is good thing no matter how you slice it.

Go Nintendo, i am finally excited again about console gaming
< Message edited by Terrak -- 14 Nov 06 10:38:34 >
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: Nintendo comes out fighting! - Nov 15, 2006 02:18
One advantage the Wii has over previous Nintendo consoles besides the bigger marketshare, and they will have a bigger marketshare: is the fact that Wii will attract a lot more developers then Gamecube did. It' s cheaper to develop for than 360 and PS3, the hardware is already familiar and much easier than PS3 or 360 to master. For those reasons Wii will attract the smaller developers that won' t be able to compete developing for 360 or PS3. Wii is a brilliant strategy from Nintendo. Even a larger segment of hardcore gamers will be more interested in the other two you can bet that a lot of non gamers and parents would prefer Wii by a long shot. Wii is going to be successful for the same reasons that DS is.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll