Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Career in video games
brokawl

• Total Posts : 16
Career in video games - Feb 26, 2006 20:10
Does anyone know what colleges you can go to to study video game design? I seen a commercial on G4TV but I forgot what the college/website was called. I career in game design would be tight!
]GaNgStA[

• Total Posts : 2949
RE: Career in video games - Feb 26, 2006 20:40
Fullsail - it' s the only place I know.

Man most of your posts will get you banned - you' re just flooding the forum with crap - it' s the first time actually when your topic made any sense.
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: Career in video games - Feb 26, 2006 22:05
Depends what country.

I' m studying ' BA (Hons) Computer Games Design' , at the University of Teesside in Middlesbrough in the UK, but several other Universities do it to..

Swansea Institute
University of Wales Newport
University of Abertay Dundee
University of Lincoln
Salford University

...they rate amongst the best that do it but there are loads more that do either the BA or a variant of...

Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: Career in video games - Feb 26, 2006 23:42
as for america, there' s Collins College, Westwood University, you' ve probably seen those on g4 before. DeVry university also has a good Game & Simulation Programing course. i don' t know where any of these are, but i know that they aren' t in Michigan. It sucks wanting to be a game designer and not living in silicon valley.[:' (]
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: Career in video games - Feb 28, 2006 01:05
Years ago, DigiPen was one of the first, and the most publicized video game schools outside of Japan. I believe there' s one in Canada (the first school) and one somewhere in the U.S. (IF my memory hasn' t completely gone kaputz). Also I believe that its Nintendo funded in some manner and the graduates (at least some) have a direct pathway into Nintendo - although they can venture elsewhere if Nintendo isn' t what they' re looking for. The school was really hard to get into with a waiting list that spanned a few years ;).
Nitro

RE: Career in video games - Feb 28, 2006 01:15
Game based courses aren' t usually what people expect though. I mean yeah we get to play with dev-kits and take hardware apart but mostly the course is split into modules and not all of them lend themselves directly into games production.

My favourite sybject last year was 2 dimensional animation which is something used less and less in games these days.

Stuff like communications and script writing are usually found on courses like mine and while they can be applied to games design they' re structured as individual modules that can be used in practice elsewhere like in film.

HTML/XHTML have turned up this year which really has no basis in games design but it' s another skill that may come in useful. Now 3D modelling, concept design, 2D/3D art, story boarding and physics programming are definately games focused and mostly what i' m doing this year.

If you' re good with coding, maths, science etc, ....it' s better to find a games technology course. If you' re artistic then it' s better to find a art based games course. If you' re good at both it' s better to find a hybrid course like mine.
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: Career in video games - Feb 28, 2006 01:52
And if you aren' t good at either one then Mcdonalds is currently accepting applications.
Mass X

• Total Posts : 4491
RE: Career in video games - Feb 28, 2006 03:02
Im working on getting into the business, I have a decent amount of options in my area. Just dont know shit about them. I think I' ll wait outside the places and jump one of the students. Then proceed to pummel him or her with questions regarding the school itself.
Nitro

RE: Career in video games - Feb 28, 2006 03:05
You could just go see the course tutor....get him to show you previous students work

OR, you could just wait outside and jump one of the students, ....then prodeed to pummel him or her with questions regarding the school itself...

Works either way!
Ikashiru

• Total Posts : 649
RE: Career in video games - Feb 28, 2006 23:11
UWE Bristol *cough* *cough* Games Technology BSc * cough *
Nitro

RE: Career in video games - Feb 28, 2006 23:31
Hahahaha...

Yeah, i forgot about you Andy. I should' ve sent him in your direction in the first place...

Bear in mind that ' BSc Games Technology' is different from a ' BA (Hons) Games Design' course though. What people choose should depend on their specific strengths...

I would have been your STAR student y' know...
Ikashiru

• Total Posts : 649
RE: Career in video games - Mar 01, 2006 19:44
Maybe it' s not too late, graduate get a kick-ass job in industry then come and be a guest lecturer!

Shame most of my mates have gone abroad with EA etc.. brings a tear to my eye I tell thee!!
Rampage99

• Total Posts : 3161
RE: Career in video games - Mar 01, 2006 21:17
I' m taking Game Art and Design at the Art Institute of Fort Lauderdale. I have about a year and a half to go. I' ve learned a lot and this past quarter has been a huge learning session (maybe too much for one quarter. One of my teachers is a dick when it comes to hw). All the basic drawing classes I breezed through. The 3d programs and coding are pretty tough though but I' m getting used to it. It' s more time consuming now.

We' ve been working with the Unreal engine heavily and should be getting Unreal Engine 3 fairly soon. I' m still working on a small game with a group from my school. It' s really basic and something just to flesh out my portfolio a little. I can' t say that Ai is the best school to attend for this major simply because most of it is self taught. They tell you what they want and for the most part don' t help you learn it... which blows siunce I' m paying $80,000 for my 4 year Bach degree.
Nitro

RE: Career in video games - Mar 02, 2006 00:11

Maybe it' s not too late, graduate get a kick-ass job in industry then come and be a guest lecturer

LOL!

I doubt i' d be a very good lecturer Andy, i get on my OWN nerves sometimes...

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll