Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 What are your strengths and weaknesses as a gamer?
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 35
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
What are your strengths and weaknesses as a gamer? - Mar 10, 2009 02:04
WEAKNESS:
1. Classic Resident Evil-style puzzles. (even before I buy the games I always print out a FAQ )
2. QTEs with the Xbox 360 controller (I've been playing the Xbox 360 at least 50 times more than the PS3 and yet I still struggle with QTEs with its controller whereas I never struggle all that much with the PS3 controller.)
3. First-person shooters of any kind. I just can't friggin stand that perspective. It's just never felt comfortable to me.
4. Getting attacked from behind in shoot 'em ups.
5. Turn-based RPGs, driving sims, strategy games.
6. Playing VERSUS or Co-Op with other players.

STRENGTHS:
1. Platformers                    [especially love the ones with tricky jumping sections]
2. shooters (shoot 'em ups)     [love my Cave/bullet hell shooters]
3. action games            
4. arcade racers  [not a major strength of mine, but I do enjoy my arcade racers]
5. adventure   [adventure games without annoying RPG elements and Resident Evil-style puzzles.]

<message edited by Terry Bogard on Mar 10, 2009 02:07>
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
Re:What are your strengths and weaknesses as a gamer? - Mar 10, 2009 03:05
WEAKNESS:
1. MMORPGs. I quit them because they are boring.
2. I pwn too much in multiplayer and it discourages nubs.

STRENGTHS:
1. I pwn at everything.
choupolo

• Total Posts : 1773
Re:What are your strengths and weaknesses as a gamer? - Mar 10, 2009 03:16
Weaknesses
- Playing FPS' on the 360 pad...just can't be accurate for some reason
- Inability to play games more than once / keeping games more than a week.
- Geometry Wars, so rubbish at it!
- Getting angry and throwing my controller at the screen when I die at a crucial part in a game that I've tried for the twentieth time!  (read: Devil May Cry on max difficulty)

Strengths
- Racing games - arcade and sims
- Twitch PC FPS' eg CSS
- Pro Evo  (I dare anyone to challenge me!)
- Pulling an all-nighter to play one game
- Completing games no matter how challenging or arduous
- Dance Dance Revolution.... no just kidding!
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
Re:What are your strengths and weaknesses as a gamer? - Mar 10, 2009 16:59
Weaknesses:
-FPS games.  God I hate them, but n00bs love them.  If you like FPS games, you are a n00b and not yet a real person.
-Braid.  Love the visuals and platforming, hate that they made it a friggin' puzzle game.
-Puzzle games in general.  I have no time for this nonsense!
-Guitar/instrument games.  I refuse to even play these.  They are not real games.  If you play these types of games, you are a sissy.
-Games that want to be movies more than they want to be games.  Games don't need complex storylines, people!  Shenmue is the exception.
-Getting bored with games.  I am lucky if I power up any current generation game more than two or three times.  It goes back to that whole story thing.  I just don't care!  Make the game fun and I will keep coming back for more!

Strengths:
-Super Monkey Ball 1 and 2 (the Wii version sucks ass)
-Arcade style games which require skill.
-Racing games (though I don't like it when they get boring and focus on being a simulation.  If I want a simulation I'll just drive my real car!)

mikayd2

• Total Posts : 1129
Re:What are your strengths and weaknesses as a gamer? - Mar 10, 2009 18:24
Weaknesses: Beautiful woman with a big ass in the back field I don't know what it is about the big butts its like mind control. That big booty draws me in and I cant control my self.
Scary games that start you off with a small knife or nothing at all. When I get that shotgun I start to feel a lot better.
Cheaters that cheat and refuse to tell me how they are cheating.
Thandie Newton  (Google That Sexy Lady)

Strengths:
FPS and fighting games. 
Arcade games.
Racing games 
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
Re:What are your strengths and weaknesses as a gamer? - Mar 10, 2009 19:06
Joe Redifer

Weaknesses:
-FPS games.  God I hate them, but n00bs love them.  If you like FPS games, you are a n00b and not yet a real person.
-Braid.  Love the visuals and platforming, hate that they made it a friggin' puzzle game.
-Puzzle games in general.  I have no time for this nonsense!
-Guitar/instrument games.  I refuse to even play these.  They are not real games.  If you play these types of games, you are a sissy.
-Games that want to be movies more than they want to be games.  Games don't need complex storylines, people!  Shenmue is the exception.
-Getting bored with games.  I am lucky if I power up any current generation game more than two or three times.  It goes back to that whole story thing.  I just don't care!  Make the game fun and I will keep coming back for more!

Strengths:
-Super Monkey Ball 1 and 2 (the Wii version sucks ass)
-Arcade style games which require skill.
-Racing games (though I don't like it when they get boring and focus on being a simulation.  If I want a simulation I'll just drive my real car!)

Lol.. I agree with a lot of your list. I really wanted to like Braid, I heard so many good things about it, but once I got my hands on it, I couldn't really stand the puzzler aspect of it. A shame because the visuals look great.....
Puzzle games in general;  while I do enjoy a Columns, Lumines, and/or Tetris from time to time, I can only play those games for a couple levels before I lose interest.....
I have yet to get into the whole music gaming phenomenon and don't really see that changing in the near future... I once had my eye on Singstar (the one with 80s music) for about 5 minutes but then I kicked my own a$$ for even contemplating the purchase...  When you say games that want to be movies, are you talking about stuff like the Metal Gear Solid games?

mastachefbkw

• Total Posts : 3793
Re:What are your strengths and weaknesses as a gamer? - Mar 10, 2009 23:03
Weaknesses:

Rockband/GH drums
Basketball games
Soccer games
fighting games(same shit. Combos are typically useless compared to button smashing)

Strengths:

Pretty much everything not mentioned above. I'm, at the very least, average at all games, but good at FPS.
Chimura

• Total Posts : 1123
Re:What are your strengths and weaknesses as a gamer? - Mar 10, 2009 23:13
weaknesses:
Music games. Patapon is the exception. Maybe cause it has a regular control scheme?
FPS: Its not that I don't like them, I just suck at them.
Racing: Don't like racing games in general.
Open-World Games: Give me a linear game, and I ace. Give me a game with a somewhat open world, with tons of stuff to do (Yakuza, Shenmue, etc) and I'll be able to handle it. Give me a GTA like game and I just don't know WTF to do!

strengths:
Hardcore action games with a one man army (Ninja Gaiden, Devil May Cry, etc)
JRPG's
Third-Person shooter games with cover mechanics
Platforming 

Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
Re:What are your strengths and weaknesses as a gamer? - Mar 13, 2009 09:35
Weakness:

I have destroyed controllers, mice, keyboards, walls and glass in frustration.

I dont like racing games and i suck at them, with the exception of RollCage.

Strengths:

I am above average at most games i play.
I am good at solving puzzles.
emofag

• Total Posts : 1508
Re:What are your strengths and weaknesses as a gamer? - Mar 13, 2009 10:03
Weaknesses
FPS - I'm decent at them considering I hardly ever play them, but I just don't really like them.
Overly complex strategy games - I don't want to micromanage every single aspect of my army or what not, it's retarded, end up getting pwnt because I just don't care to put in the effort.

Strengths: IDK

Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
Re:What are your strengths and weaknesses as a gamer? - Mar 13, 2009 10:54
Compared to the average gamer I'm strong in everything (most of us are).  The average gamer is not competitive.  I compare myself to those who specialize in each category.  For example I'm good with Strategy games if you compare me to all gamers but probably average if you compare me exclusively with strategy game players.  With this in mind, I'm average in most games.

Weaknesses:
-Sport Games
-Fighting games
-Guitar Hero esk games (don't like them either)

I'm not good with timing and I dislike memorizing combos. 

Strengths:
-FPS games

If you can appeal to my interests which usually include killing something I'm more likely to play the game long enough to master it.
immortaldanmx

• Total Posts : 2966
Re:What are your strengths and weaknesses as a gamer? - Mar 13, 2009 15:14
Strengths: FPS, RTS
Weaknesses:  Racing, Fighting, and GTA4.

Everyone keeps mentioning GH and RB, so I guess I should too. Ive never actually played either of them, and have never had the urge to.
Joe Redifer

Re:What are your strengths and weaknesses as a gamer? - Mar 13, 2009 16:49
Terry Bogard

When you say games that want to be movies, are you talking about stuff like the Metal Gear Solid games?

I'm suggesting that games in general are trying to be more story than anything.  Most games' sole concern these days is the telling of a story... a very long and drawn out one.  Once you beat the game you have absolutely no desire ever to play it again.  If you don't play it for awhile, you forget the hyper-complex control scheme and you just can't be bothered to relearn it and therefore the game becomes useless.  I'd say many if not most of today's "action" games are like this.  I like pick-up-and-play games.
emofag

• Total Posts : 1508
Re:What are your strengths and weaknesses as a gamer? - Mar 13, 2009 18:29
Stfu Joe.
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
Re:What are your strengths and weaknesses as a gamer? - Mar 13, 2009 18:55
ya rly, you sound like my dad
immortaldanmx

• Total Posts : 2966
Re:What are your strengths and weaknesses as a gamer? - Mar 13, 2009 19:09
For Joe, control schemes were "complex" after the Genesis. Its not that he cant get used to them, its just that he doesnt want to. Joe is the epitome of disgruntled old-school.
Vx Chemical

Re:What are your strengths and weaknesses as a gamer? - Mar 13, 2009 23:04
I play games to get stories. I like it when a game story captures me, doesnt happen often.

New games cant afford to have stories like the old day RPG's, i guess voice overs has a downside, no one wnats to record 1.000.000 lines of speach.
mastachefbkw

• Total Posts : 3793
Re:What are your strengths and weaknesses as a gamer? - Mar 14, 2009 00:03

New games cant afford to have stories like the old day RPG's, i guess voice overs has a downside, no one wnats to record 1.000.000 lines of speach.
More like no one wants to come up with a million lines of speech.
Joe Redifer

Re:What are your strengths and weaknesses as a gamer? - Mar 14, 2009 02:06
Obviously adventure and RPG games I would expect to have very involving stories.  I just want more gaming and less story telling in my action games. What's next, characters with deep emotions and complex issues in the next Gran Turismo or Out Run?

no one wnats [sic] to record 1.000.000 lines of speach. [sic]

Oh yes they do!  I've seen a lot of games over the last couple of generation which have mega-quantities of voice, even though the game doesn't really need them.  Even friggin' Retro Game Challenge on the DS has some flippant asshat making dipshit comments next to you as you play.  It is a kid on the screen but he has the voice of a 25 year-old.  Trust me, companies LOVE recording voices!

Joe is the epitome of disgruntled old-school.

stfu danmx.

Stfu Joe.

OK.
Vx Chemical

Re:What are your strengths and weaknesses as a gamer? - Mar 14, 2009 07:21
mastachefbkw

More like no one wants to come up with a million lines of speech.

I was exagerrating a bit, but a game like Planescape: Torment has 800.000 words in the games script. Baldurs Gate 2 has even more!
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 35

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message