Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Yu Suzuki, what is he up to these days?
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 21
Shikashi

• Total Posts : 196
Yu Suzuki, what is he up to these days? - Aug 03, 2008 01:54
Does anyone here have an idea what the legend himself is doing? I know his last Arcade project got canned, so did Shenmue Online. What does he do? Sit in his desk all day? Why isn't SEGA using him?

I'm just wondering because... ya know, it's a dark world we live in without new games from him.
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
Re:Yu Suzuki, what is he up to these days? - Aug 03, 2008 02:42
Who the fuck is Yu Shikusy?
immortaldanmx

• Total Posts : 2966
Re:Yu Suzuki, what is he up to these days? - Aug 03, 2008 03:41
Shikashi

Does anyone here have an idea what the legend himself is doing? I know his last Arcade project got canned, so did Shenmue Online. What does he do? Sit in his desk all day? Why isn't SEGA using him?

I'm just wondering because... ya know, it's a dark world we live in without new games from him.

If he made a game that didnt flop they might let him try again.
Shikashi

Re:Yu Suzuki, what is he up to these days? - Aug 03, 2008 04:51
immortaldanmx

Shikashi

Yes, because Shenmue and II are the only games he ever did and those didn't sell over 1 million each, correct?
Zoy

• Total Posts : 1703
Re:Yu Suzuki, what is he up to these days? - Aug 03, 2008 05:21
He's just been developing arcade games as far as I know.  Psy-Phi didn't get released but Sega Race TV did.
immortaldanmx

Re:Yu Suzuki, what is he up to these days? - Aug 03, 2008 06:37
Shikashi

immortaldanmx

Shikashi

Yes, because Shenmue and II are the only games he ever did and those didn't sell over 1 million each, correct?

Yes, Im sure Shenmue sold well enough to cover the dev. costs, thats why Shenmue 3 is being worked on as we speak. Moron.
Shikashi

Re:Yu Suzuki, what is he up to these days? - Aug 03, 2008 13:14
No, it didn't. What was it, every Dreamcast owner had to buy 2 copies of the game for it to make profit?
I also never mentioned the main series of Shenmue, I just wanted to know what he's up to. You're the one who's been pushing me to tell you to go fuck yourself. Moron.

@Zoy, oh, well I'll see what Sega Race TV is then, thanks.
<message edited by Shikashi on Aug 03, 2008 13:15>
emofag

• Total Posts : 1508
Re:Yu Suzuki, what is he up to these days? - Aug 04, 2008 01:16
That link thing you did is creepy.
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
Re:Yu Suzuki, what is he up to these days? - Aug 04, 2008 01:19
Shikashi

No, it didn't. What was it, every Dreamcast owner had to buy 2 copies of the game for it to make profit?
I also never mentioned the main series of Shenmue, I just wanted to know what he's up to. You're the one who's been pushing me to tell you to go fuck yourself. Moron.

Seriously dude... fix your sarcasm detector.
emofag

Re:Yu Suzuki, what is he up to these days? - Aug 04, 2008 01:37
Low budget is why most games suck, it's unacceptable to have huge budget and waste it making crap like shenmue.
Zoy

Re:Yu Suzuki, what is he up to these days? - Aug 04, 2008 01:50
Having watched video of the Sega Race TV attract mode, I have to say it is a rather scathing critique of American jingoism.  A balding, overweight man in a spandex red-white-and-blue jumpsuit singing a weird, square song about "the poor man's blues..."  all interspersed with cars.  Man, Yu Suzuki is on a whole 'nother level.
Shikashi

Re:Yu Suzuki, what is he up to these days? - Aug 04, 2008 03:41
Nitro

Shikashi

Seriously dude... fix your sarcasm detector.

Unless the sarcasm is painfully obvious, I can't get it.

@emofag, lol... whatever. I could argue as to why Shnemue is by far one of the best games ever, but I won't.

SEGA Race TV looks like Burnout to me, F355 Challenge sequel, NOW!
emofag

Re:Yu Suzuki, what is he up to these days? - Aug 04, 2008 23:52
You can't argue against the fact that shenmue sucks and was a waste of money.
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
Re:Yu Suzuki, what is he up to these days? - Aug 05, 2008 00:15

It was obvious.  When he called you a moron that was a big fucking hint.

Anyways discussion of huge development costs for a another Shenmue game is pointless because two factors.  One the PS3 and 360 have a larger install base than the DC had and games are more expensive on top of it.  Secondly we have new techniques that make it completely unnecessary to model everything individually just to have unique trees.  In effect speeding up development time and cutting costs dramatically. 

The reason it won't be made isn't because of huge development costs. It's because no one would buy Shenmue 3.  Even if development costs were low they still wouldn't recooperate their losses.  It's like Army of Darkness, cult classics.  I fucking love those movies but they didn't make any money. 
immortaldanmx

Re:Yu Suzuki, what is he up to these days? - Aug 05, 2008 03:40
Agent Ghost

It was obvious.  When he called you a moron that was a big fucking hint.

Anyways discussion of huge development costs for a another Shenmue game is pointless because two factors.  One the PS3 and 360 have a larger install base than the DC had and games are more expensive on top of it.  Secondly we have new techniques that make it completely unnecessary to model everything individually just to have unique trees.  In effect speeding up development time and cutting costs dramatically. 

The reason it won't be made isn't because of huge development costs. It's because no one would buy Shenmue 3.  Even if development costs were low they still wouldn't recooperate their losses.  It's like Army of Darkness, cult classics.  I fucking love those movies but they didn't make any money. 

Logic prevails.
Adam Doree

• Total Posts : 1113
Re:Yu Suzuki, what is he up to these days? - Aug 05, 2008 17:09
Can we stop acting like 12 year olds please. Thanks.
Back on topic, personally I am surprised Suzuki is still at Sega. Don't be surprised if he does a Miz/Naka.
Zoy

Re:Yu Suzuki, what is he up to these days? - Aug 11, 2008 22:59
In this Gamasutra interview, Simon Jeffrey states that as far as he knows, Suzuki-san is no longer a Sega employee.

Speakingof names, what has happened to Yu Suzuki?
SJ: Last I heard, he was doing some onlinestuff in China.
He'sspearheaded an arcade racing title. Is he just really off in his own world?
SJ: Yeah. He's kind of his own man rightnow. Every now and again, he'll come up with an idea, and I don't thinkanything has come out of that yet, but we're still working with him. He's notan employee anymore, but...
Iwasn't sure if he was still actually a Sega employee.
SJ: Not as far as I know.

Kannon

• Total Posts : 205
Re:Yu Suzuki, what is he up to these days? - Aug 12, 2008 07:52
And I logged in just to post that.

Sega Doesn't him trust anymore.

Shenmue could have better in US if weren't for those idiotic commercials.

<message edited by Kannon on Aug 12, 2008 07:59>
mastachefbkw

• Total Posts : 3793
Re:Yu Suzuki, what is he up to these days? - Aug 12, 2008 18:29

Shenmue could have better in US if weren't for those idiotic commercials.

No, here in America the stupid commercials are the ones that attract people. As for myself, I played the game for an hour and wanted to blow my brains out.
Zoy

Re:Yu Suzuki, what is he up to these days? - Aug 12, 2008 23:43
Simon Jeffery corrected himself today and stated that Yu Suzuki is a Creative Officer with Sega of Japan.
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 21

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message