Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Mario Kart Wii Impressions
Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 20 of 60
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
Mario Kart Wii Impressions - Apr 13, 2008 07:39
So I bought Mario Kart for the enjoyment of me and my girlfriend.

The motion sensing has a pretty steep learning curve especially if your a wii noob like me. after some races i didnt end up in last place, though my girlfriend cant seem to get it at all, though i suspect too many glasses of redwine and a foulmood isnt helping either.

Wide variety of maps, though generally they are a bit tougher than GC Wii.

Speaking of which, Mario Kart Wii looks ridicoulously like the GC version, or even the DS version, its horribly ugly, like a monster jumping out of the 90' ies to devour the world. The Wii shows its true colors, i know graphics isnt what its a bout but i expected a bit more, colors look washed out, extreme low poly models and level design.

If my girlfriend doesnt get the controls, i think ill sell my Wii.
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: Mario Kart Wii Impressions - Apr 13, 2008 07:46
Bought it the other day. They' ve made it too easy and you can' t snake anymore. I' m not impressed.
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: Mario Kart Wii Impressions - Apr 13, 2008 07:58
What about Super Smash Bros.? Is that any good?
mastachefbkw

• Total Posts : 3793
RE: Mario Kart Wii Impressions - Apr 13, 2008 10:05

What about Super Smash Bros.? Is that any good?
Its godly.
Vx Chemical

RE: Mario Kart Wii Impressions - Apr 13, 2008 14:46
Not impressed is my generel perception of the Wii.

Nintendo could have done so much more
alijay034

• Total Posts : 1433
RE: Mario Kart Wii Impressions - Apr 13, 2008 16:28
This is going to upset some people, but like the Joker says in Batman, ' You can' t make an omelette without breaking some eggs.'

The Wii is a gaming experience that is aimed at 2 demographics.

1) Children under the age of 16 who like good clean games that don' t involved shooting or killing.

2) People that have parties and are bored with the whole naked twister and trivial pursuit thing, getting people to place a Wii controller on their nose to look like an elephant is great fun at 2 in the a.m. with a few vodka' s or Jd' s down your throat.

If you don' t fall into either catagory then it is not for you, yes there are a few legacy games however, how many of these have been written to the same standard as when they were on the N64 or Cube or the Snes?

It doesn' t have the ' Social' side of gaming to it, well not in the same way as live or PSN, this is because it is aimed at getting families to play it together (remember the adverts the whole family on the sofa?).

However that is not to say that it doesn' t have it' s own niche in the market place.

I think a lot was / is being pinned on Mario Kart and from the looks of shops like Game and Toys r Us, it is going to be a big seller, however the people buying it, were under 16' s and family groups and the family groups were young families. The Wii has it' s market and that' s where it will stay. VX do you thow many parties? If you do then keep it for that it is more fun than naked twister...believe me on that.
Vx Chemical

RE: Mario Kart Wii Impressions - Apr 13, 2008 16:37

VX do you thow many parties? If you do then keep it for that it is more fun than naked twister...believe me on that.

When i have parties we dont play games.

Whether or not my girlfriend has fun with Mario Kart is whats gonna make or break if i keep it.

The gaming expiriences on the Wii simply cant compete with whats on the PS3, 360 and the PC
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: Mario Kart Wii Impressions - Apr 13, 2008 19:33

When i have parties we dont play games.

You' re Danish, you don' t know how to have fun.
Vx Chemical

RE: Mario Kart Wii Impressions - Apr 13, 2008 19:39

You' re Danish, you don' t know how to have fun

Since i have a family now im more calm.

But few people can handle me and my friends parties without getting shocked. Well its more a combination of foul words, acts combined with alcohol and various amounts of drugs, presciption or otherwise.
Virtua fighter 5

• Total Posts : 1327
RE: Mario Kart Wii Impressions - Apr 13, 2008 19:55
Ive been playing this and Smash Brothers

MK Wii.

First up Just like SMG and most other Nintendo Games, optimization is spot on and no matter how much chaos is going on (MK now moves up to 12P, offline or online) the action is always silky Smooth 60fps with no-draw distance issues.. art direction is as good as always.. Overall it' s looks loverly, not quite as pretty As SMG but very Nice neverless.

The gameplay is a mix between the DS and N6version but this time no snaking is possible , boost are done by either, jumping and waddling analogue side2side (MK ds), Jumping up ramps and perform simple stunts, mushrooms or silptream (bigger characters like bowser are easier to Slipstream).

The characters Weight now make more an impact on collision, IE toad will came to a hault if he crashes into the back of Donkeykong.

The new courses are really nicely designed and have loads of variety. The old classic courses are also really well implemented / re-created.. N64 Bowser castle (YAY IN 60fps!!!), GBA Shy Guy Beach and DS' s Princess gardens and Delphino square are priceless.

Im really liking it, if i was to have a moan, theres abit too much variety, with all the stunts, different cart types i like to concentrate on more racing which i why i rate MK:DS still my fave MK.. It' s still an AAA game nevertheless and certainly by far my fave racer on a console so far.. (GT-prolg = boring in comparison).

F.uck, MK, NMH, PES2008, SSB is Killin my Wii, Been through countless recharges of batteries think im gonna start charging freinds AKA Pay-per-play.
Vx Chemical

RE: Mario Kart Wii Impressions - Apr 13, 2008 22:58

(GT-prolg = boring in comparison).

why would you even compare the two?

I dont see how you can talk about art direction in a Mario Kart game, its the same bloody art direction thats in the other mario kart games, nothing new.

I expected a lot more polys in the game.

Even from a GC 1.5, which looks more and more like a GC 1.15 instead.

One step foward and two steps back nintedo, try again!
Virtua fighter 5

RE: Mario Kart Wii Impressions - Apr 14, 2008 01:24
Dam, just came back from town and It' s seems like MK has sold out everywhere...

My neice willl be happy about that.
< Message edited by virtua fighter 5 -- 13 Apr 08 17:31:38 >
Dagashi

• Total Posts : 987
RE: Mario Kart Wii Impressions - Apr 14, 2008 01:52

Dam, just came back from town and It' s seems like MK has sold out everywhere...

I think Halo has proved that a game doesn' t need to be great to sell a buttload of copies.
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: Mario Kart Wii Impressions - Apr 14, 2008 02:30

ORIGINAL: Virtua fighter 5

In Birmingham?

Odd. Every store i went into today in Manchester had it in stock.

They' re no longer taking GTA IV pre-orders though...
canadagamer

• Total Posts : 965
RE: Mario Kart Wii Impressions - Apr 14, 2008 02:34

(YAY IN 60fps!!!)

Awesome!!!!!!!

Garbage in 60fps!!!! OMG!!!!!! Draw Distances, art direction, hooray, hooray!!!!!

Looks like they nailed yet another niche audience with this game. Nintendo, how do you do it???
Vx Chemical

RE: Mario Kart Wii Impressions - Apr 14, 2008 02:40

They' re no longer taking GTA IV pre-orders though...

now thats going to be sweet!
Marink

• Total Posts : 884
RE: Mario Kart Wii Impressions - Apr 14, 2008 03:06
I can' t get the hang of using the Wii-mote, so I just thought " *** it" and decided to use the Gamecube controller instead.

I might end up importing Brawl, depending on when the actual release date is.
< Message edited by Marink -- 13 Apr 08 19:07:08 >
Virtua fighter 5

RE: Mario Kart Wii Impressions - Apr 14, 2008 03:06
ROFL.. what a joke.

(not you manrik, im talking the usual Kikizo anti-market leader forum bullshite)

As if i need to argue regarding the quality of a game everyone i know is rightly playing to death.

Grow up.. FFS.

< Message edited by virtua fighter 5 -- 13 Apr 08 19:11:26 >
2pac

• Total Posts : 1032
RE: Mario Kart Wii Impressions - Apr 14, 2008 03:13

ORIGINAL: Virtua fighter 5

ROFL.. what a joke.

(not you manrik, im talking the usual Kikizo anti-market leader forum bullshite)

As if i need to argue regarding the quality of a game everyone i know is rightly playing to death.

Grow up.. FFS.

Vx Chemical

RE: Mario Kart Wii Impressions - Apr 14, 2008 03:18

Grow up.. FFS.

I think your the only one who take personal offence when we dislike a game or a console!

I should point out who the kid here is, but alas, there is no need!
Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 20 of 60

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message